Ordering first custom holster seeking advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I’m looking to purchase my first kydex custom holster and I’m overwhelmed and not sure about all of these options. Not my first holster as I have a box of them just my first custom order.

Here is my question- what type of clip?

Ordering a sck holsters iwb kydex holster for my new p365x. Prior to this I have several cya off the shelf kydex with the big clip for my S&w shield.

I was somewhat intrigued by the ulti clip as during the summer I wear with shorts. The big clip hasn’t caused any issue but not sure to go with the kydex clip, dcc monoblock or ulti clip?

Any advice or opinions on which way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’m not a fan of FOMI clips. They tend to fail. If you must go with a non-tuckable clip, opt for the Discreet Carry Concepts monoblock.

Ulticlips are good in theory, but not having a belt means they will weigh down on your clothing. Ulticlips were really designed to clip to your clothing behind a belt or to be used on lightweight items, such as a knife. If you do carry with a belt, you want the DCC monoblock.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I agree with Dave above. I will say however that if you need to remove and replace your holster often like I do (cannot carry in my office) the mono block is a pain to tuck/untuck. Kind of the purpose if you carry all day in that it stays put when you draw. Just an observation. I have personally gone back to a Fomi clip for my application but would suggest the monoblock above the Fomi any day for all day carry

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’m not a fan of FOMI clips. They tend to fail. If you must go with a non-tuckable clip, opt for the Discreet Carry Concepts monoblock.

Ulticlips are good in theory, but not having a belt means they will weigh down on your clothing. Ulticlips were really designed to clip to your clothing behind a belt or to be used on lightweight items, such as a knife. If you do carry with a belt, you want the DCC monoblock.

I also agree with this and I'd add that the P365XL may be a bit heavy with ulticlips for gymshorts. It will work but your pants will likely sag unless you have the drawstrings uncomfortably tight.

I'd recommend the monoblock for normal EDC. You can also throw it over gymshorts in a pinch, just know that you won't have good retention on it and it could fall off while running.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I’m gonna go with dcc monoblock. Thanks for your opinions I really appreciate it. Order has been placed.

For clarification I have the new 365 x with a micro red dot not the xl. So it’s still a pretty small and light pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Avoid ulticlips: gym shorts cannot safely secure a loaded gun. No sense spending $100 on good holster and $50 on a quality gun belt just to end up slinging it on an elastic shoelace around your waist. For this type of carry, check out the Phlster Enigma or, in the "more free" department, just wear your normal belt and holster under your shorts. A blue alpha gear low-profile EDC belt is great for this.

Echoing what the others above have said. The top-mount hardware is inherently limiting, but the monoblock is the way to go in that department if you have no other options available. Unless you have to go the FOMI route for whatever reason, you really can do better.

With a bottom-mount option (eg DCC Mod 4) you have far more versatility: tuckable, bidirectional cant, and usually ride height adjustment.

If you're going to carry AIWB something like the Henry Flint is a great choice. For strong side and something all-around versatile, the Vedder Lighttuck w/ claw is a really solid option.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend getting a P365xl holster even though you're carrying the X. Small guns like the P365 put most of the weight of the gun above the beltline, which can lead to some outward grip rotation (see: keel principle). A longer holster will help keep the gun oriented vertically to your body = less printing and more comfortable (appendix guys often take this further with a "wedge").

Update: Saw you already ordered from Will. Unsolicited recommendation would be to get the IWB ulti-clip option, add the modwing, then throw out the ulticlip when you get it and install a dcc mod 4 shorty.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom