Other people's animals.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Not to venture too off topic but what about stopping a dog that is mauling your dog? Happened a little while back at my local dog park. The owner didn't step in until I started yelling obscenities.

I wanted to step in but at the same time I feared for mysel I didn't have a way stop what was happening without possibly getting myself hurt in the process. Would yall have used necessary force in this situation?

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    This. My neighbor has about 7-10 cats that she feeds. I have no problem with cat ladies in principle but damn it, if you want a dozen cats, you should be responsible for keeping them in your house. I shouldn't have to shoo them away from my front door, or out of my garbage can.

I shouldn't wake up in the morning and find them under my carport laying on my vehicles scratching my paint either. Went to the local animal shelter and put a deposit on a trap caught several an then was told by the shelter they had to many cats and couldn't except anymore so at that point you do what you have to do.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Not to venture too off topic but what about stopping a dog that is mauling your dog? Happened a little while back at my local dog park. The owner didn't step in until I started yelling obscenities.

I wanted to step in but at the same time I feared for mysel I didn't have a way stop what was happening without possibly getting myself hurt in the process. Would yall have used necessary force in this situation?

Had this situation yesterday. Just rescued a female staffordshire terrier/boxer mix (right at 40lbs) on Saturday morning. Took her and my min pin to the park with my wife to let them socialize. Guy walks in with an aggressive dog, (and told everyone that his dog is aggressive) and cuts it loose. Before I could get to my dogs, his runs over, pins the new dog on the ground and is holding it by her throat. Didn't have to shoot him, grabbed him by his neck, punched him in the head once and he broke his grip on her, and drug him off my dog. There was no reason to draw my weapon.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I've dealt with this before about a year ago. Had to intervene when a Pit picked up my dog and started shaking her around. The owner was outside of the fenced in area flirting with some girl. At the time I carried a night stick with me and I hit the dog above the shoulder with the butt of it until he let her go while another guy tried to open the Pit's mouth. I won't ever go back to the dog park with her because of this. Even with two people trying to stop his dog, the owner didn't do anything until the other guy kicked the dog in the chest to keep him from following me and attacking both myself and my dog as we left the park.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Had this situation yesterday. Just rescued a female staffordshire terrier/boxer mix (right at 40lbs) on Saturday morning. Took her and my min pin to the park with my wife to let them socialize. Guy walks in with an aggressive dog, (and told everyone that his dog is aggressive) and cuts it loose. Before I could get to my dogs, his runs over, pins the new dog on the ground and is holding it by her throat. Didn't have to shoot him, grabbed him by his neck, punched him in the head once and he broke his grip on her, and drug him off my dog. There was no reason to draw my weapon.

I had a long talk with the owner after what happened his dog put 5 holes in my dogs throat he was willing to pay for the bills and was very sorry about what happened I told him I would fix my dog up and I did. Only needed to put stitches in two of the wounds. I told the guy to spend the money he would have had to pay on a vet and work with his dog to make sure it doesn't happen again because it could have been worse.

I really wanted to yell at him but it wouldn't have solved anything. I'd like to think he is working with his dog. I just need get there if it happens again. It was a powerful dog maybe that's what made me hesitate.

Wouldn't punching the dog in the head **** the owner off too and make matters worse?

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ok I can't edit my post or quote reply so i have to make another post.

That was for your question Hattrick about a dog attacking you or your dog.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Wouldn't punching the dog in the head **** the owner off too and make matters worse?

Not my problem. He was just standing there while all this went down. Didn't say a word, just grabbed my animals, and went straight to the ver to get her checked out. Fortunately there was just three lacerations on her head that weren't too deep and a single puncture wound on her head/neck below her ear. Just took these pics, roughly 24 hours old.

42B30D4A-D48C-417F-BBB7-92EC6C5FF28F_zpsxayng1lo.jpg

371C726A-872B-46D1-B1E1-5CF876E5D962_zps2yhnawnr.jpg

And here is her with my minpin.

63E79D19-3F87-43CC-8C41-1D3103499A5E_zpsrt751if7.jpg

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This thread is eye-opening. Some really sick people on here to whom poisoning, torturing, killing animals is funny. And some of them are LEOs?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It is truly disturbing. If you care about your pet as much as some people on here say they do, then they wouldn't think twice about jumping in to separate them from another dog.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I don't think any kind of poisoning or torture is acceptable. If an animal is an immediate threat, I have no problem shooting it to protect myself or my loved ones. Poisoning doesn't remove am immediate threat, it allows the animal to suffer. And I don't think its funny to kill an animal, its sad to have to do it.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It is truly disturbing. If you care about your pet as much as some people on here say they do, then they wouldn't think twice about jumping in to separate them from another dog.

A lot of people see their dogs as family. While they might be tools to others, every owner is responsible for their pet. The owner took on the responsibility when they acquired the dog.

I also think there's a separating factor between a dog causing trouble via trespassing and digging vs. actively engaging in a fight with another dog.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon Tied On A Dog’s Collar Means?

You are out in the park with your family, playing, running, maybe even having a picnic. Perhaps your dog is with you; however, off in the distance you see adorable dog approaching with their handler and your children immediately begin to run towards this adorable dog. As the dog is getting closer, you see a yellow ribbon tied on the dog’s collar. What goes through your mind?
    The Yellow Dog Project

Photo courtesy AniCareVets

A yellow ribbon around a dog’s collar is to help children identify that you need to proceed with caution. The dog may not be child friendly, may have fear or anxiety issues, or may be overly excited. Either way, caution should be applied when approaching.

The Yellow Dog Project is a nonprofit organization that is a global effort to help raise awareness and education around dogs that require a little extra distance upon approaching. Does this mean that the dog is aggressive or mean? No, there are numerous reasons why a dog may have a yellow ribbon. It may mean the dog is new with the handler, is under medical care, or in foster care for instance.

The purpose of this project is to assist with the proper techniques to approach a dog. Children have a lot of energy and often to run up and pet a dog. Not all dogs understand this and can become fearful. With proper education, all parties are put in a less stressful environment, which in turn reduces opportunities for an unforeseen accident.

For more information about this wonderful cause, please visit: The Yellow Dog Facebook page. Learn how to educate family, friends, colleagues, and yourself. When there is knowledge, there is understanding.

Have you ever seen a dog wearing a yellow ribbon? Did you know what it meant prior to this article? Do you have a dog that may need to wear a yellow ribbon?

Read more at http://theilovedogssite.com/do-you-...d-on-a-dogs-collar-means/#O0L6RGvzIy033yDP.99

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon Tied On A Dog’s Collar Means?

You are out in the park with your family, playing, running, maybe even having a picnic. Perhaps your dog is with you; however, off in the distance you see adorable dog approaching with their handler and your children immediately begin to run towards this adorable dog. As the dog is getting closer, you see a yellow ribbon tied on the dog’s collar. What goes through your mind?
    The Yellow Dog Project

Photo courtesy AniCareVets

A yellow ribbon around a dog’s collar is to help children identify that you need to proceed with caution. The dog may not be child friendly, may have fear or anxiety issues, or may be overly excited. Either way, caution should be applied when approaching.

The Yellow Dog Project is a nonprofit organization that is a global effort to help raise awareness and education around dogs that require a little extra distance upon approaching. Does this mean that the dog is aggressive or mean? No, there are numerous reasons why a dog may have a yellow ribbon. It may mean the dog is new with the handler, is under medical care, or in foster care for instance.

The purpose of this project is to assist with the proper techniques to approach a dog. Children have a lot of energy and often to run up and pet a dog. Not all dogs understand this and can become fearful. With proper education, all parties are put in a less stressful environment, which in turn reduces opportunities for an unforeseen accident.

For more information about this wonderful cause, please visit: The Yellow Dog Facebook page. Learn how to educate family, friends, colleagues, and yourself. When there is knowledge, there is understanding.

Have you ever seen a dog wearing a yellow ribbon? Did you know what it meant prior to this article? Do you have a dog that may need to wear a yellow ribbon?

Read more at http://theilovedogssite.com/do-you-...d-on-a-dogs-collar-means/#O0L6RGvzIy033yDP.99

I have never seen a dog wearing a yellow and up until seeing this article about a week ago, had no idea what it meant. A lot of my friends and colleagues have dogs and none had heard of it either.

If this is prevalent in other parts of the country, it needs to be publicized in places it's not so that people can be aware.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans

I think pepper spray is a good option to have

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom