Parish Permit vs State Permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    On a sheet of paper that came with my shiny new parish permit, it listed the rules for the state permit and said that they ALL apply to parish permits as well. However, at the bottom, it listed as a source, RS 40.1379.3! Nowhere under RS 40.1379.3 does it even mention RS 40.1379.1 or any wording about parish permits.

I'm not an attorney. Since the parish has tied the rules for their permit to the same rules that are applicable to the state permit and the source RS 40.1379.3 is the state authorization...the rules for parish permits may not be annotated in each jurisdiction, therefore they merely say same rules apply. This would keep from having to duplicate or further ammend parish law when changes are made to the state law. My 2¢

Well, sheriffs don't make law, so what they write has no force of law. They could hand out copies of paper saying that it's illegal to eat pecan pie but it wouldn't hold the force of law.

If there is some sort of Parish law stating that the rules are the same, then I need to see it.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I had another thought.

Since there is little comment on what a parish permit allows, is it legal to carry it into a restaurant that serves alcohol?

The state permit law specifically says "areas not under a class A liquor license" which gets them around the law that says anywhere that serves alcohol for on-site consumption is a gun-free zone.

Since the parish permit does not specifically grant that exemption...is it technically illegal to carry into Applebees to eat with a parish permit?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    There is certainly room for doubt. There is nothing in the PP statute that exempts you from the beverage outlet law. I get around that by having both parish and state permits.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    There is certainly room for doubt. There is nothing in the PP statute that exempts you from the beverage outlet law. I get around that by having both parish and state permits.

If you planned on CCing to church, do you just leave your state license at home?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I keep it in a separate (hidden) pocket of my wallet. My parish permit comes out with my DL, but if I need my State one, it is there, too. It doesn't matter where it is, though. The fact that you have both is the salient point.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I keep it in a separate (hidden) pocket of my wallet. My parish permit comes out with my DL, but if I need my State one, it is there, too. It doesn't matter where it is, though. The fact that you have both is the salient point.

I suppose, I'm just a little skeptical that you can get positive benefits from both instead of being restricted by both.

I mean, would they pull your state permit if they caught you in a church, knowing you had a state license?

Have there been any actual cases of somebody testing these parish permits?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you are allowed something by one permit, the other would not overrule. Nowhere in the statutes does it say that the state permit supercedes in all respects the parish permits.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you are allowed something by one permit, the other would not overrule. Nowhere in the statutes does it say that the state permit supercedes in all respects the parish permits.

Exactly, besides the Parish Permit is only giving you those added "rights" in that specific Parish. You still are limited by the state permit outside of it.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Since they're issued by the Sheriff I think the most direct route would be through him (rather, his secretary). Sid Gautreaux, Sheriff Phone: (225)389-5045

But yeah if someone on the inside could point to the most applicable/competent person that would be of help.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Since they're issued by the Sheriff I think the most direct route would be through him (rather, his secretary). Sid Gautreaux, Sheriff Phone: (225)389-5045

But yeah if someone on the inside could point to the most applicable/competent person that would be of help.

That's the Number I called. Phyllis, I believe, she routed me to the Sheriff's Department directly, and they sent me to state police.

Top Bottom