Pawn shop purchase??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    What can I expect from a pawn shop purchase?
    what type of "discount" if any off sticker??

Just seems they are just as much as retail.

If I am only going to save a 100 bucks on a purchase I just as soon buy new or from someone I know selling.

Trying to find me a 1911 Kimber or something similar.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Welcome, please update your profile with your location.

Remember a Pawn Shop is in business to make money so "discounts" would be almost nothing, they will buy cheap and sell high its the way the operate.

My advise would be to buy FTF from a private seller OR buy online but keep in mind you will have to pay $25 shipping and $20 FFL fee but most of the time it still comes up to less money than what the pawn shop wanted to start with.

Paying retail is not an option for me unless its something I really need or want.

Also not sure what kind of Kimber you are looking at buying since they make them in 20+ diferent models but if you want a well built 1911 look into STI first.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    What can I expect from a pawn shop purchase?
    what type of "discount" if any off sticker??

Just seems they are just as much as retail.

If I am only going to save a 100 bucks on a purchase I just as soon buy new or from someone I know selling.

Trying to find me a 1911 Kimber or something similar.

any particular reason for wanting a kimber?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    There really is nothing you can "expect" from a pawn shop. But,there is one thing certain...they are more than likely gonna make 150% or more on profit from their listed price. Ever sell anything to a pawn shop? Know why people never leave a pawn shop happy after trying to sell something to the store? Unless you know the pawn shop personally,they will always have the upper hand. Not all pawn shops are crooked,some are actually very fair,but for the most part,they always pay the light bill with every transaction.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    What can you expect from a pawn shop? The answer is "what you see is what you get."

Expect that the firearm has never been disassembled or inspected, short of making sure it's not loaded. Expect to either need to disassemble it yourself, or drop it off at a gunsmith's shop to ensure safety and functionality...

Don't expect any sort of what you'd consider a reasonable discount. Guns in decent shape hold their value well. Heck, now days, guns are a better investment than most stocks and metals. Some firearms are even more expensive now, in used condition, then when it was factory new. However, I've never been to a pawn shop that wouldn't entertain a bit of haggling....especially if you're paying in cash...

Saving $100.....well, it depends on the gun....like above, some are easier to find than others....some are in better condition than others....For me, I'd have to say it depended on the entire overall value to determine that a 20% savings is worth buying used vs new for full retail. Can't really help you there as it's your personal choice...

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Guess that answers the pawn shop question.
    as far as the Kimber.....well to be honest as a novice ......
    I know it's quality, I like the feel of them.....and they seem to have a ton of models if you will.

this will be my first 1911 and only my 2nd Semi-auto pistol other than rimfire.
    I am open to suggestions for sure

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Save some $$ and buy a quality Springfield. Proven,dependable,accurate and not as expensive as Kimber.

Go to the Springfield Armory website and look at all the pretty 1911s they have to offer.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well, Kimbers don't usually show up in pawn shops. Look at the gun stores.
    Pshops can be a good or bad experience. I have family members who own a couple of shops and they don't like dust to collect on nothing. Cash is KING. On a 300-400 dollar purchace, expect a $50 "discount" if it's your first visit. Buy regular and the deals get better. Hell, they'll even call when they get something "good" in. Supply and demand drives price, also.
    I could say more, but don't want to offend any sponsors.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    STI or Springfield for a 1911 eventhough you will get the ones who will chime in later on saying well my Ed Brown and my Wilson COmbat and my NighHawk bla bla bla

If you can afford the $3000 1911's then yeah look at those, otherwise STI or SA.

You also have the option of the non traditional 1911's with external extractor

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    yes, I'll admit I do like pretty guns.....
    I'm not against the others, but if I am gonna spend my cash on one.....it just as soon be purddy

I do have to say, there's nothing wrong with a Kimber if you have the funds. I didn't but I knew what I liked and had a budget set up for it (sold a pistol). I contemplated a springfield but the cost versus what I wanted didn't match up. So i ended up with a Custom II and haven't regretted my decision. I say figure out your budget, then what you MUST have, and go get it. Pawn shops rarely have a specific model/configuration you want but it doesn't hurt to look either. I like to keep my options open, but $$ puts a limit on everything. Good luck!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Saw a Kimber Raptor 5" at Pelican Pawn in Metairie 3 weeks ago for $350. Other than the serious pitting on the slide,it was good to go. Might be gone by now for that price.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Ya know, the slide is just another part.....

I see a Kimber for less than $400....it's pretty safe to assume that it's going home with me...Not much can be done to a 1911 that can't be undone or replaced...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ya know, the slide is just another part.....

I see a Kimber for less than $400....it's pretty safe to assume that it's going home with me...Not much can be done to a 1911 that can't be undone or replaced...

HAD to be more to that story for COJO not to buy it, that fool got a backup for the backup so ..........................;)

:D

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I LOVE pawn shops.

I'm addicted to them, RARELY pass one without going in.

That said, I've never gone looking for 'one gun' at them.

Found all kinds of scores, a $174 winchester 30-30 shortly after Winchester went under, CHEAP S&W's, $400 FAL's, Cheap AK's, $369 Savage 110, Cheap shotguns....

Hunting guns sell towards the end of the summer through hunting season.

Good deals before christmas.

People have cash Jan1- next couple months.

Know what your looking for, be firm and know what you'll pay (I've walked out over $5 before) and have CASH.

You get results when you lay stacks of green on the counter.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom