Penalty for driving a motorcycle without the endorsement?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I just bought a motorcycle and went to the Mandeville DMV today to get my endorsement. They said they can do the written test today but can't do the road test for at least a month. They said to try other DMV's to see if they have a backlog or not. Of course no DMV will answer the phone :mad: so I'm thinking I may need to just be patient for my road test.

If I end up riding the motorcycle before completing the road test what is the penalty if I'm caught? The bike is insured and I know how to ride fine just need the Louisiana paperwork to prove it.

Also if I end up getting ahold of the Franklinton/Slidell office and one of them can do the road test sooner, I would have to get the bike there to do the road test right? How can I go about that legally without the endorsement? o.O

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I just bought a motorcycle and went to the Mandeville DMV today to get my endorsement. They said they can do the written test today but can't do the road test for at least a month. They said to try other DMV's to see if they have a backlog or not. Of course no DMV will answer the phone :mad: so I'm thinking I may need to just be patient for my road test.

If I end up riding the motorcycle before completing the road test what is the penalty if I'm caught? The bike is insured and I know how to ride fine just need the Louisiana paperwork to prove it.

Also if I end up getting ahold of the Franklinton/Slidell office and one of them can do the road test sooner, I would have to get the bike there to do the road test right? How can I go about that legally without the endorsement? o.O

It's stupid to have a motorcycle "endorsement." I don't know why we need it. I don't see anyone needing a scooter "endorsement."

My buddy just rode his bike to the DMV and did everything there. The lady asked him why he needed to do a road test, considering he just rode the bike there... He said she didn't even answer him and just kept going about her business.

IMO, the DMV and all their bull, is... well... bull!

Edit -

Sorry about the rant, but IIRC, you don't have to take the riding test if you took a riding course.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Well when I went to get my endorsement in Acadia parish where I'm from originally I hauled it there because I thought "it would be illegal to drive it there, right?" Well I pass the written test and the DMV employee asks "did you drive your bike here?" and I say "no I hauled it" she sighed and said "if you would have told me you drove it here we wouldn't have had to do the driving portion." I scratched my head and thought about how ass backwards that was. So to be honest, driving the bike to the DMV shouldn't be a problem. If you were to get pulled over on the way the officer might not give you a violation if you explain you are on your way to the DMV, but no guarantees I guess.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Technically, it's the same as driving a car without a license, you can be ticketed and bike towed; but If you break no other laws who knows you don't have one. As for the driving test they stand in parking lot and watch you go around the block, use turn signals and put your foot down when you stop. I think now you have to complete a riding course to get the endorsement, the Harley shops usually teach a class.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I got my endorsement 2-3 years ago and it didn't require a course just a ride out of and into the parking lot. Easiest test I've ever done.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Jeeze Saintsfan wish it was that easy now. Mandeville backed up till late August, Slidell backed up till mid August, Franklinton backed up until late September. I have been fighting busy signals all day and it's nothing but bad news :( Been trying Amite but it rings to an answering machine that says to try later so nobody is even manning that line. Argh guess I'll just have to wait and keep the bike in the carport for the time being. Thanks guys.

PS no it doesn't require a course but if I took the state class it would make it where I don't need a road course. The Harley one is $300 and doesn't count for anything (not for insurance, not for the state test, nothing...) The state course is August 7 I think but doubt I could get in on that class as it's so close and probably full. Couldn't make the next state class until October so kind of pointless as it only knocks a few bucks off my insurance and it's already only $100 for the year on the bike.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I walked in to the BR DMV and took my written test and then immediately went outside and took the driving portion which consisted of a big circle around the parking lot and a big figure 8. It is a completely moronic process and it can only be about the money.
    However they would not give me license with the endorsement without showing proof of insurance and an inspection sticker. So I went to an inspection center and they of course failed me for not having the endorsement. But they spell out what the reason for failure is. So then I go back to the DMV to get my license with my failed inspection sticker. They give me my endorsement and then I take that and go back the inspection place and show them my new license and then they give my inspection sticker.
    1 trip to the DMV
    1 road test in parking lot
    1 trip from the DMV to the inspection place
    1 trip from the inspection place back to the DMV
    1 trip from DMV back to inspection place
    And all on the bike without being properly licensed so I could get properly licensed. ridiculous

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I know this might be a stupid answer but you could always have someone with an endorsement meet you there or just put it on a trailer. Also the "I'm on my way to the DMV" is a standard excuse for everything and probably will not get you a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Take the day and drive that sucker to Crowley and be there right when they open. 20 minutes max you'll be "endorsed". I walked in and took the test (with actual paper and pen) then made a figure 8 in the parking lot. I asked the decent looking lady giving the test if she wanted to ride! When your done with your test stop at Frosto's or Joppe's for a good meal. Don't speed or do anything stupid and you don't have to worry about being pulled over.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I just did my M endorsement yesterday at the BR DMV at Independence. Test took 5 min (same thing with the inspection sticker as stated above) then walked outside and did parking lot test. They opened at 0800, I was riding away with my endorsement by 0930 (had to wait for inspection station to open). I'm bringing my little brother up there tomorrow morning at 08000 to use my bike to get his endorsement as well. Process is easy.

There is no extra charge for the M endorsement. It is not like a CDL hazmat or anything. The only charge is for the Duplicate License with the M on it. There is no extra charge when renewing your license. There is also no charge for the test. The reason behind the (even simple test) is that there is a basic knowledge of how to ride/manipulate a motorcycle. I personally agree with it.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    For those into trivia or government lingo, in Louisiana there is no "DMV" (there can not be a department as a subordinate entity of a department). They are the Louisiana DEPARTMENT of Public Safety & Corrections, OFFICE of Motor Vehicles, otherwise known as the "OMV". It is much the same structure as any other component of a "department;" either known as "bureaus" or "offices." (I.E. Department of Justice, Bureau of Prisons or Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Fire Marshal) I don't recall ever hearing it called by its proper name; always "DMV." It is like hearing the iconic railway building referred to as Grand Central Station, not the correct Grand Central Terminal- so named because it terminates the railway lines. Stations have traffic that passes through them, no dead ends. Perhaps the biggest misnomer is Hawaii's so called INTERstate system, as opposed to Intrastate system. I realize that most elected officials are not Mensa members, but damn guys, how about a little attention to detail?
    Louisiana is also unique in that there is only one "Fire Marshal;" the State Fire Marshal. Any local or municipal Fire Prevention personnel are known as Investigators or Inspectors. Does anyone else know of any nuances in government titles, agency or personnel?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I got my Chauffeur License and Motorcycle Endorsement almost 50 years ago. I no longer drive for anyone or ride a motorcycle but I keep the endorsements when I renew.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Bogalusa OMV used to be the go to place for us. I think one of the employees retired. The recent reports I've heard are not encouraging. I suggest you call them
    (985) 795-1015
    Do you have insurance for it yet? Inspection sticker might be required........there is some confusion with that on my part. Can't get a sticker without the M and can't get the M without insurance. Ask about that when you call.
    What bike did you get?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Bogalusa OMV used to be the go to place for us. I think one of the employees retired. The recent reports I've heard are not encouraging. I suggest you call them
    (985) 795-1015
    Do you have insurance for it yet? Inspection sticker might be required........there is some confusion with that on my part. Can't get a sticker without the M and can't get the M without insurance. Ask about that when you call.
    What bike did you get?

Have to have M to get insurance and Inspection. At least i dont know of any insurance company that will give insurance to someone without it. with no M, you go to inspection station, and they give you a rejection sticker with no M. then after you get M, you go exchange the rejection for an inspection sticker. 2 year sticker $20.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Most driving academies can do the riding test for you, I ran into the same problem you have I got my bike and went to get the endorsement and they were backlogged several months, so I called one of the driving academies near the OMV in mandeville and they said that they could indeed do the skills test!!! for 40 bucks I first went and took the written from the OMV drove over to the place which is 5 mins from the OMV drove the bike around the block for the gent and he signed the papers and I went back handed the papers in and I got my "M" on my license!!! it took a whole of 1.5 hours... little more money but instead of waiting 2 months it was quick and easy... and btw what type of bike you have? also my insurance company gave me 30 days to bring proof of endorsement or they would cancel insurance, just explain things to them and they will work with you...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom