"people shouldn't bring guns to work" crap heard today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    So today, I carried at work (legally allowed to, place of business), and got told by our secretary lady that "people shouldn't bring guns to work." :mad: I asked her why the hell not? "Well it might freak someone out." Well I told her it would be their problem, not mine! She said well what if it's some young cop that didn't know the law? I told her that I would be glad to educate them all the way to the supreme court if need be...then it was time to clock out and go home... Is there a better way I should have handled it? I mean I have every right legally to have a gun at work, not against any kind of policy or rule. My boss is cool with it, he's buying a handgun soon too, and he applied for his CCW permit the same time I did. I mean for goodness sake, I manage rental properties! I can't even count how many times I've gotten threatened when evicting people and stuff. How many slum lords y'all know that DON'T carry a gun? :D
    Any way, any advice on how to handle her better and get her "okay" to the idea of guns at work...?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I always try to start out friendly and informative. That has always worked for me. Not necessarily because I convince everyone of the error of their ways right off the bat, but often because I know my stuff, and they begin to sound foolish by arguing further.

If I was to ever really run across a libtard that wanted to rant about my baby-killer, then I would probably turn up the heat, while leaving.

I open carry in front of my customers frequently. Not always- I would not want to offend someone on their own property. Most people I run across are cool, though. Luckily for me, people line up for weeks to have me work on their home or business, so I don't have to stress too hard about it, either way.

Anyway, try the 'feather of love' on folks first. Then, if they are just determined to be an ass, walk away, or lay it on the line for them and then leave. Either way, try not to continue the escalation.

Remember, what you say is often heard by others. If someone says you shouldn't OC, and someone else in the room (who is not a jerk) hears the conversation- how you handle it may help determine their opinion on the subject for a long time to come.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Offer to take her shooting so SHE better understands firearms and doesn't fear them as much. Also, that "ignorance is no exception to the law", and especially when it comes to LEOs. Finally, that SHE is safer with her coworkers carrying firearms, than she is with no one in the office carrying one in such a volatile business.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    My response:

"People should bring guns to any place where they would like to help ensure their safety. Work, home, school, church, shopping, driving... all those are places I would like to be safe, so all those are places where carrying is wise. For that matter, I can't think of any time that I would like to be un-safe, can you?"

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I work with a bunch of non-firearm friendly people so when I get gun related packages delivered to my office it always starts a discussion. The most common question I hear is "Why do you need a gun?" I respond very confidently with "To shoot people!"

Don't justify it or try to make it sound political. They will just argue with you.

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    thanks for the info guys. I asked her why she was scared of guns, and she said she wasn't which I believe. She was (previously) married to a cop who was a "collector" and always took her shooting so it's not a fear thing. I think she is honestly not afraid of guns, just worried that I'll scare someone.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    I have a very short fuse for dealing with antigun folks. My initial reaction is to tell them to go f@#k themselves.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Liberal pansies can be converted but not in an argument....you usually have to wait until they are the victim of a violent crime.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Is she hot? J\K
    You need to decide if it's worth your time to try to make her think otherwise. Changing people's set ways can be time consuming. If it's not worth your time, you handled it just right. You weren't rude, just to the point.

People get too upset these days. I think their feet have grown too long because it's so easy to step on some one's toes.:rofl:

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    I am getting the impression that she is not anti-gun but anti-carry (which is the same as anti-gun to me...), for fear of "scaring someone" including the POlice... well you guys know as well as I do as constitutionlover said that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" and if the cops want to come hassle me at my OWN workplace, I will be more than happy to educate the ig'nunce out of them. I have a copy of MS code section 97-37-1 bookmarked on my computer:

(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    The catch 20 is if someone complaines about it they could mis-con-screw it to a "disturbance of the peace." I don't agree, but I've heard of such things.:rolleyes:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yes its worth your time to pursue this. I know you said your boss is pro gun. What if his boss isn't. What if she casually says to the head of the sales department that employees carrying guns might scare off clients. It goes up the chain, next thing you know, there's a memo forbidding you from carrying on the job. It happens. Better to avoid the subject at work or not let them know you carry than have that happen. But since the cat's out the bag, yes, win her over.
    Ask her what she would do if someone came in causing trouble. She'll say call 911. Ask her what's the average response time. 10 minutes? At best? Ask her what happens in between calling 911 and them getting there? Demonstrate how long 10 minutes is... its an eternity when you're waiting for help.
    Her ex was a cop. Many cops are not fans of citizens having guns. They worry about taking a bad shot maybe, or vigilantes. She only knows what she's been told by him. Talk her through it. It matters.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The catch 20 is if someone complaines about it they could mis-con-screw it to a "disturbance of the peace." I don't agree, but I've heard of such things.:rolleyes:

I want to say somebody got arrested last year in Alabama for walking around his neighborhood with his AK. Not sure whatever happened to that case though.

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    Yes its worth your time to pursue this. I know you said your boss is pro gun. What if his boss isn't. What if she casually says to the head of the sales department that employees carrying guns might scare off clients. It goes up the chain, next thing you know, there's a memo forbidding you from carrying on the job. It happens. Better to avoid the subject at work or not let them know you carry than have that happen. But since the cat's out the bag, yes, win her over.
    Ask her what she would do if someone came in causing trouble. She'll say call 911. Ask her what's the average response time. 10 minutes? At best? Ask her what happens in between calling 911 and them getting there? Demonstrate how long 10 minutes is... its an eternity when you're waiting for help.
    Her ex was a cop. Many cops are not fans of citizens having guns. They worry about taking a bad shot maybe, or vigilantes. She only knows what she's been told by him. Talk her through it. It matters.

Yeah good advice...I am going to talk to her some tomorrow if we get time if the problem she has is me carrying LEGALLY without a permit...or just carrying in general. Luckily for me, we are an independent franchise and my boss doesn't have a boss...he owns the place :D

You better believe I am going to pursue this. She is going to get won over...eventually. I would buy her a handgun if I could.

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    The catch 20 is if someone complaines about it they could mis-con-screw it to a "disturbance of the peace." I don't agree, but I've heard of such things.

I want to say somebody got arrested last year in Alabama for walking around his neighborhood with his AK. Not sure whatever happened to that case though.

From what i have read online (FWIW) Alabama is major anti-open carry...even though it's not specifically illegal.

The best I can read our (Mississippi's) disturbing the peace law, one would have to be "threatening" or "acting in a threatening manner" to be violating the law.

Of course, that could be pretty open to interpretation.

I happened to be filing paperwork in justice court (small claims) for work stuff Thursday, and one of the judges was in the clerks office behind the desk, open carrying plain as day. :D Of course us poor schmoes can't carry in a court facility :mad: ...but thats another matter for another day.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17059#post17059

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    So today, I carried at work (legally allowed to, place of business), and got told by our secretary lady that "people shouldn't bring guns to work." :mad: I asked her why the hell not? "Well it might freak someone out." Well I told her it would be their problem, not mine! She said well what if it's some young cop that didn't know the law? I told her that I would be glad to educate them all the way to the supreme court if need be...then it was time to clock out and go home... Is there a better way I should have handled it? I mean I have every right legally to have a gun at work, not against any kind of policy or rule. My boss is cool with it, he's buying a handgun soon too, and he applied for his CCW permit the same time I did. I mean for goodness sake, I manage rental properties! I can't even count how many times I've gotten threatened when evicting people and stuff. How many slum lords y'all know that DON'T carry a gun? :D
    Any way, any advice on how to handle her better and get her "okay" to the idea of guns at work...?

Chadwick:

Please don't take this as a flame - but how (or why) did she know you had a firearm at work?

Concealed means concealed. Nobody (other than your boss) needs to know you have a firearm at work.

Top Bottom