Pets are expensive!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    My lab fiest mix Ninja has cost me nothing but a butt scratch here and there and some food in a bowl. He also makes for a very intimidating guard dog just ask anyone that comes over he protects that house the way fat kids would cake!

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm going to have to correct you, there. The wrong pet is expensive. I have been surrounded by dogs since I was born and none of ours have ever needed surgery. Just routine shots and deworming. I am truly sorry for you situation. Convince them to pick a stronger, more robust breed and your family should never have to go through this emotional and financial strain again. Mutts make the very best pets. These days, the purer the breed, the weaker the dog, and puppy farms are largely to blame.

Yep...totally agree. I remember talking to my old veterinarian...asked him what kind of dog should I get. He was trained by the Army...was an Army Vet during WW-II, and just a real down to earth guy.

I'll never forget his advice. He said to always try and get a mut. They don't have inbreeding which is very common in purebred dogs. They are healthier and have fewer medical issues.

His other reason for getting a rescue mutt from SPCA...is simply the costs. As he put it....just like people...every now and then you run across a crazy dog...or a dog with a bad disposition. One that just bites everyone. And when that happens...you almost always end up having to put the dog down.

Anyway...IMO..I think rescue dogs may even know that you saved their asses. They just end up being more appreciative pets.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...IMO..I think rescue dogs may even know that you saved their asses. They just end up being more appreciative pets.

My two mutts were thrown out by some jerk and took up residence on our carport while we were on vacation. They were literally skin and bones then, but now they're fat and sassy -- and I swear they do seem to express something like gratitude toward me and my wife!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My chocolate lab has cost me a small fortune, a little at a time!

Surgeries - spay and swallowing a beanie baby. The spay was about $300 (extra tests while she was under). The beanie baby extraction was around $2000 IIRC.

urinary tract infections- 3 or 4 a year for the last few years, $300 vet and antibiotics bills each.

Allergy problems- $800 in testing to eliminate everything else, thousands over they years for skin infections, plus a ton more for the right foods (finally settled on science diet metabolic which worked great for the allergies plus she's dropped a few pounds, which is a good thing).

I talked my wife out of pet insurance since my dogs have always been relatively healthy... She has reminded me of this a few times. :( I've in exchange brought up the lemon laws and the idea of trading this one in for a new one and getting the insurance. not appreciated... :)

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I don't know why people think it's a good idea to let small dogs jump off the their beds or sofas. that's like the owner jumping off their roof. The average dog will cost their owner $8k over their life time. Their a luxury.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We had pet insurance when I was growing up. Lots of it too.

Dad bought it from Wal-Mart for 87¢ per 50 pills.

Looked like this;

vblodnzfg4r17hj3w3.png

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    We had to put down our 2 dogs in the last 2 months. Talk about a rough time. I couldn't bring myself to shoot them. It would be like shooting my best friend. Especially my lab. Growing up, I know I've used 22 policy on several horses and numerous barn cats though.

Top Bottom