philando Castile verdict?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I generally support my LEO, but in this case I'm thinking it was a bad shoot.

Where was the NRA?

Looking for thoughtful replies and solid information.

I tend to agree with this guy in this case.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Only the officer knows what he saw, so I can't say whether he was legally or morally justified (though it's hard to imagine what would have justified that reaction). I'm not a cop, and I don't think Mr. YM is either so I take his opinions on police behavior with a grain of salt.
    But I do wholeheartedly agree that the lack of NRA action sucks. Either they don't stand up for concealed carriers or they don't stand up for black gun owners. I get that they don't want to **** off law enforcement, but they really should say something. Anything. If they are hoping they can say nothing and keep both sides happy they are wrong.

I'm sure readers here know this but there are things you can do to lessen police anxiety in a traffic stop where you are armed:
    Put the vehicle in park.
    Turn off the radio,
    Turn on the lights if dark.
    Turn the engine off (I'll do this most of the time, unless my baby is in the car and it's 1200 deg outside).
    Don't go digging in the center console, glovebox, or pockets while the officer approaches.
    Keep your hands on the steering wheel. Leave them there while talking to the officer. When they ask for a license, leave hands still and tell them about CHP and ask what they want you to do now. Then do whatever they say.

If yall watch Cesar Milan on his dog shows, what does he do? When there is a dog with a behavior problem, he spends most of his time training the dog owners, not the dog. He changes the people's behavior to keep the dog's anxiety level low. Keep this in mind when people say 'cops need more training, cops need better training'.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    It looked like a bad shoot, but I will have to side with the jury on this one, and every other one. That is the American way. Judged by a jury of your peers. They said he was not guilty.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Unfortunately we only see the video begin AFTER the shoot takes place. You can hear the frustration and fear in the officer's voice in reaction to the shooting. The female filming the incident is clearly not grasping the gravity of the situation either... more than likely shock.

They teach you in EVERY CCW class... if you're pulled over, you immediately notify the officer that you are a CCW holder and you are armed as well as the location of the firearm and its operational state (loaded, round in the chamber, etc.). You leave your hands on the steering wheel!!! Both of them! You ask the officer if he would like to disarm you and take possession of the firearm... you do EVERYTHING the officer instructs you to do to the T!

There are a lot of things that go along with holding a CCW... being CAUTIOUS and volunteering as much information as possible to the officer only helps.

We don't know if the officer walked up to the window and this guys is reaching for his license, the officer observes the firearm in the waistband and reacts... let me just say again, COPS ARE NOT SUPERHEROES with some kind of super reflexes, x-ray vision, etc!! They have fractions of seconds to react in some cases... they are people too... I'm sure their lives flash before their eyes on most stops now-days with a constant perceived threat that is behind every corner.

Bottom line is until the transcripts of the trial are released no one (except those in the courtroom) know all of the evidence/facts/testimony that was presented.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    It looked like a bad shoot, but I will have to side with the jury on this one, and every other one. That is the American way. Judged by a jury of your peers. They said he was not guilty.

They also said OJ was not guilty...
    They said they weren't sending him to jail... whether he did the right thing is still up in the air. I think they both messed up.

Sounds like they are going to release the video from the cruiser soon.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    The charge was not guilty on the officer's charge correct? I'm sure in a civil case the city will pay for this incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Good call.

As far as the NRA being involved. Should they? This is a murder case. Not a 2A right infringement right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA is pro civilian gun ownership right? This is a case where a civilian was killed partly for carrying a gun. If nothing else, there should be some emphasis on how to interact with LEO..... at minimum.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Was this the shooting that the guy was ordered to put his hands up but kept reaching for something instead?

He doesn't ever say 'put your hands up'. That probably would have helped.

Seems like the officer asked for license and insurance, he got insurance from his console and then as he was trying to retrieve his wallet from his pocket, tells Yanez about the firearm. Yanez says 'Ok don't reach for it though, don't pull it out'. Philando tells him, 'I'm not tryna pull it out.', but keeps trying to pull out (presumably) his wallet.
    Seems like he never made the connection between 'Don't pull it out' and his hand on his wallet. He might have been thinking 'Of course I'm not going to pull it out, I'm not stupid'. But from the officers point of view,he knows there's a gun and immediately jumps to 'the gun is in his hand' and says 'don't pull it out' one more time. According to the jury, that assumption was a reasonable one for a reasonable person to make.

The whole thing is very sad for everyone involved. And it's all due to really bad timing. If those events happened in any other order, it would have been avoided. I got instruction on how to deal with police, and Philando probably did too, just forgotten.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Strange that nobody in the thread has mentioned ol' Phil was smoking pot and CCW'ing. Pretty sure the two are mutually exclusive legally.

That likely contributed to Castile's inability to follow orders, but it doesn't exclusively mean he should have been shot to death.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    He doesn't ever say 'put your hands up'. That probably would have helped.

Seems like the officer asked for license and insurance, he got insurance from his console and then as he was trying to retrieve his wallet from his pocket, tells Yanez about the firearm. Yanez says 'Ok don't reach for it though, don't pull it out'. Philando tells him, 'I'm not tryna pull it out.', but keeps trying to pull out (presumably) his wallet.
    Seems like he never made the connection between 'Don't pull it out' and his hand on his wallet. He might have been thinking 'Of course I'm not going to pull it out, I'm not stupid'. But from the officers point of view,he knows there's a gun and immediately jumps to 'the gun is in his hand' and says 'don't pull it out' one more time. According to the jury, that assumption was a reasonable one for a reasonable person to make.

The whole thing is very sad for everyone involved. And it's all due to really bad timing. If those events happened in any other order, it would have been avoided. I got instruction on how to deal with police, and Philando probably did too, just forgotten.

Correct after watching the dashcam footage I realize that was one big s?!t sandwich.

1) I don't think philando was gonna pull that gun.
    2) I do think the officer was in fear of his life.

As already said above "very sad for both of them".

Top Bottom