Pistol brace ruling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And its easy, all you have to do is mail the ATF a letter requesting it be removed from the registry. Same place I send my prints for an F1 or SBR submission I believe. Needy Road in WV from my memory?

Me taking the collapsible stock off my stamped AR-15 SBR and selling it to any individual via an on line ad is pretty dumb imo. (How about out of my car window for $500 cash? A drive by sale, like purchasing a daquiri or a hamburger.) Also engraved with my name and city/state. Without taking it off the NFA registry first. I mean sure I could grind away the engraving first, but its SN is recorded/registered too. De-facing a firearms SN is a no no too. But we who possess stamped NFA items have already played by the rules for compliance, so why would we NOT send the letter first?

I don't recall seeing where the letter was required, only that it was a good idea.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    so as far as this site goes...

i can legally sell a pistol with an IWB concealment holster in the same pic to a person even though they may or may not have a CHP... and bayou shooter is good in legal standings...

but i cannot sell a pistol on this site with a brace in the pic not even attached????? Or else the atf will shut this site down

whats funny is in the past i have seen and personally sold 4 braced pistols that came with an "sbr kit" not installed but stock ect. came with it and was legally able to sell that togeather in a package.... but in 2023, dont put a dirty pic of a brace in there... dont even mention it
    :doh:
    You better stop making so much sense before you get holsters listed as NFA items requiring tax stamps.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I don't recall seeing where the letter was required, only that it was a good idea.

I would have to agree with you re-reading the NFA Handbook looking at what is required. Don't see anything about sending a letter or any notice to the ATF. Seems by their handbook rules I could remove the collapsable stock off my stamped SBR and legally sell it as an AR-15 pistol config to any resident. Seems like I could remove said stock, then grind off my engraved personal info. Or remove the 10.5" barrel and attach a 16 or 18" barrel. Ditto an ATF (Biden) registered "braced pistol". Only problem I have there is in the NFA Registry/ATF data I would still have that SBR registered to me, and that is no longer valid. I guess sending the ATF a letter would be a courtesy move, and to remove that specific SBR or stamp from their data, or the registry. Does not seem required thou. Excerpt below from ATF NFA Handbook PDF.

"Section 2.5 Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of components. Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon. For example, a shotgun with a barrel length of 15 inches is an NFA weapon. If the 15- inch barrel is removed and disposed of, the remaining firearm is not subject to the NFA because it has no barrel. Likewise, if the 15 inch barrel is modified by permanently attaching an extension such that the barrel length is at least 18 inches and the overall length of the weapon is at least 26 inches, the modified firearm is not subject to the NFA. NOTE: an acceptable method for permanently installing a barrel extension is by gas or electric steel seam welding or the use of high temperature silver solder having a flow point of 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. A shot pistol (“any other weapon”) such as an H&R Handy Gun may be removed from the NFA by either disposing of the smooth bore barrel or permanently installing a rifled sleeve chambered to accepta standard pistol cartridge into the smooth bore barrel. Modified by sleeving the barrel, an H&R Handy Gun is no longer an NFA weapon because it now has a rifled bore. Large caliber destructive devices that are not also machineguns can be removed from the NFA by disposing of the barrel. If the barrel of a 37mm cannon is removed and disposed of, the remaining weapon has no barrel or bore diameter. As an alternative, the barrel of a destructive device may be functionally destroyed. To destroy the barrel of a destructive device the following operations must be performed:• Cut a hole, equal to the diameter of the bore, on a 90-degree angle to the axis of the bore, through one side of the barrel in the high pressure (chamber) area.• Weld the barrel to the receiver of the weapon.• Weld an obstruction into the barrel to prevent the introduction of a round of ammunition."

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And the latest Joe Biden braced pistol/"now its a SBR" tax free stamps do not require any engraving on the weapon, period. SN is sufficient. I applied for 2 at the last minute, and they were approved 6 or 7 months later.

One totally aggravating aspect of the AFT login in the last 15 months (least for me) is my password seems to expire every couple months, and I have to go thru so much BS to reset it. That never happened before 12 or 18 months ago. I think they are doing everything possible to make applying for a Form 1 silencer or SBR really difficult. And the required password complexity has multiplied too.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would have to agree with you re-reading the NFA Handbook looking at what is required. Don't see anything about sending a letter or any notice to the ATF.

I've seen it as a good suggestion. If you un-nfa a weapon but don't send a letter, I may run into issues and/or delays if I tried to nfa that same serial number.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've seen it as a good suggestion. If you un-nfa a weapon but don't send a letter, I may run into issues and/or delays if I tried to nfa that same serial number.

I sent them a letter for one of mine and it took close to a year to get a letter back. The person I talked to said they never “remove” it, they just make a note of it.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Reading through just this last page of this thread; too much bulls**t. I'll continue avoiding those types of firearms like the plague.

they never “remove” it, they just make a note of it.

I'll wait till all hell breaks loose and we lose the rule of law, then maybe I'll finally get to own what I want without asking permission to be on a permanent special list.

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    Reading through just this last page of this thread; too much bulls**t. I'll continue avoiding those types of firearms like the plague.
    As much as I love to sbr everything, I’m officially a part of the pistol brace gang, so I really gotta pay attention to this thread. 200.00 for a stamp is a lotta monies to me right now.

image.jpg

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    As much as I love to sbr everything, I’m officially a part of the pistol brace gang, so I really gotta pay attention to this thread. 200.00 for a stamp is a lotta monies to me right now.

View attachment 154326
    There's just a mountain of extra BS with all that, and I'm not that familiar with the types in question. To me it doesn't seem worth it. Standard handguns and long guns don't come with all that extra, and I can't see any benefit of those firearms that require the extra.

Don't get me wrong; to each his own.

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    There's just a mountain of extra BS with all that, and I'm not that familiar with the types in question. To me it doesn't seem worth it. Standard handguns and long guns don't come with all that extra, and I can't see any benefit of those firearms that require the extra.

Big time impulse buy. It was too cheap to pass up. I had a suppressor with no host. Lol

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

If you are a big game hunter, a silencer can save your hearing long term.

The $200 fee for a NFA tax stamp has been $200 since 1934. So its really a bargain. Once you learn how to apply on line, its easy. Of course an F4 commercial silencer would be purchased at a brick and mortor store or dealer. So they guide you thru the process. Pretty easy unless you are prohibited from legal ownership. Then you wait for approval. F4s still taking 6 to 12 months last I heard.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Make no mistake, Joe Biden and the Dums are trying hard to ban semi auto rifles with mag capacity > 10 rounds. Biden also wants the F1 silencer industry and the ability to construct your own legal silencer banned completely. I also believe Biden wants to stop legal F4 silencer purchases going forward, if he could. If he wins in 2024, it will not be good. They have a list of semi auto rifles they want to stop all sales going forward. Like every AR-15 pistol or rifle sold today, and AK-47s too. An extensive list of about 150 weapons named by manufacturer and model #. The bill was submitted in Congress like 2.5 years ago, but was tabled. Biden and the ATF did a lot of damage in the F1 silencer industry in that time. The threats by the ATF shutdown some businesses I know. All led by Biden and Merrick Garland. Biden's US AG appointee since mid 2021. Joe Biden and Garland started all this "braced pistol" ban debacle, via ATF "new rules". Their "final rule" as they termed it. Was previously approved by the ATF, I have a copy of their original letter.

Top Bottom