Piston AR's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If you are the only guy with a piston AR, and your weapon goes down, you are up the creek.

I beg to differ. At least the LMT shares all but 3 parts with a common DI AR, and can, in fact, be converted to and from DI itself. And when you use it as a piston gun, it obviates the parts that typically go down on a DI gun anyways, such as gas rings and a gas key.

Stags are great rifles, however.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    POF's are decent, but a lot of problems with QC lately. LWRC makes the best piston around. LMT is a good second choice. I wouldn't buy a piston if it were not one of those. I also wouldn't buy an XCR although I do like some of the features. Pat Rogers and some others only shoot the LWRC AFAIK. They keep improving it as well. But unless you really need or really want a piston, go with a BCM, spikes, KAC, or other top tier gun.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    POF's are decent, but a lot of problems with QC lately. LWRC makes the best piston around. LMT is a good second choice. I wouldn't buy a piston if it were not one of those. I also wouldn't buy an XCR although I do like some of the features. Pat Rogers and some others only shoot the LWRC AFAIK. They keep improving it as well. But unless you really need or really want a piston, go with a BCM, spikes, KAC, or other top tier gun.

I'm not sure if LWRC makes a better rifle than LMT. I really don't. The LMT appears to be the simplier of the two. I don't think one could go wrong with either, though. Six on one hand and half a dozen on the other.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Just look at the guys that T&E all these guns, the LMT is a nice system, no doubt, but IMO The LWRCs take the lead with the innovation and thought they put into the design. I believe they have superior barrels, better carriers, the ACB, etc. But that's just my opinion. Without a doubt LMT makes a nice gun. It also depends on your intended usage. That's just my opinion, and like you said 6 and a half dozen.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

actually, it's been noted that Pat Rogers runs and abuses a BCM through his class. i think one of the "loaner" rifles is also a BCM, over 11k rounds and still kicking. i'm not a BCM fan boy yet, but reading things like that makes me think about buying one.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I knew he runs BCM, here is his exact quote regarding LWRC's from May 08 on Lightfighter

There are few BM out there. Both i have seen were no go's.
    The POF are likewise seldom seen at class, and they are spotty.
    The LWRC are much more common, and i am running 3 as a T&E set.
    They would be my first- only- choice of piston driven AR's at this time.

I am not a fan boy because of that, nor would I buy it based solely on a personal preference from anyone. But when several people who have a lot more time shooting / on the gun take a serious look at it, it serves as a fairly strong indicator its good kit. The bottom line is get what works for you in your price range. Shoot the heck out of it and add what you need as you go. If you get to the point where you need something else, add it.

I am not a professional shooter, or even a good shooter, just MHO and my observation.

Top Bottom