Places for retrieval training in Slidell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Place with large open area and water that I can take a dog to train? As close to Slidell/Pearl River as possible.

G

gunguy11

Teach him to retrieve on land first or the water retrieval
    Will be a headache. Also let him learn to swim well before you try it of he will
    Be focused on keeping his head above the water rather than the object.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Teach him to retrieve on land first or the water retrieval
    Will be a headache. Also let him learn to swim well before you try it of he will
    Be focused on keeping his head above the water rather than the object.

Yeah. I agree on both parts. I just need to know an area I can take him and introduce him to water as well as having a place to train later on.

G

gunguy11

If you cannot find anywhere near Slidell I believe lsu lakes are pet friendly... You can call and ask though. I never looked into it I have an acre pond (:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    -
    If you cannot find anywhere near Slidell I believe lsu lakes are pet friendly... You can call and ask though. I never looked into it I have an acre pond (:

That's quite the drive. hoping to find something closer that I can do every couple days.

G

gunguy11

Good luck!
    Might have to dig a small pond or your lab. They need water. It is like part of their being.

G

gunguy11

I know plenty of places near Laplace, you might have to watch for Gators though.
    Wouldn't even chance it for a young dog. They are not aware enough, not fast swimmers and there will be lots of splashing when they start out.

G

gunguy11

Try a dog pool. Not sure how much they are though. Since a pond is out. It is like a normal pool 12'x4' or larger but the liner is meant to withstand the nails.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Didley don't forget to ask the same on RTF. They're are some FT Handlers and Dog Trainers around your area. You can get in on some Group Training. Lots of fun and you'll learn plenty. You'll have to throw birds first though ;)

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Didley don't forget to ask the same on RTF. They're are some FT Handlers and Dog Trainers around your area. You can get in on some Group Training. Lots of fun and you'll learn plenty. You'll have to throw birds first though ;)

I'm ok with that :) I'm registered over on RTF now and I'm poking around. Found a site that sells reconditioned Tritronics... they're still expensive as crap.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've looked around the spillway several times but not found a good spot to let my dog swim. Too many gators! I've got too much money invested in that dog to feed him to the gators!

When I lived in Slidell I went bank fishing on the pearl river at the the turn around. There was a pond (gravel pit really) just before it that might work.

Bay St Louis? What about the beach on Karr Dr (off hwy 11, assuming its still there)?

Let me know if you find a good spot...

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Out on Military Road, right past Cypress Cove and Honey Island Elementary, there's a retention pond for Cross Creek/Turtle Creek subdivisions. I've taken my lab there on occasion. You can get on the back side of the pond, away from the road and have some room to throw bumpers. You'll need to be able to control your dog to keep it from the road first.

Also, have to check for gators. Took a 6 footer out of it last year, I hear there's another 6-7 foot gator in there again this summer..

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    check out wild wing kennels. ron novake owns the place its located near robert la. he has a very nice place set up with several water runs and bird throwers along with shooting stations for gun breaking them.

its off of the airport exit on I12 i guess you would consider that robert..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom