Police Crown Vic Auction?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have a friend who is looking for a police car auction. More specifically he is looking for a used LEO Crown Vic.

Anyone know of upcoming auctions in Louisiana (preferably close to NOLA) or where I can help direct him to find one?

Thanks, nola_

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've been to several of these auctions period Most of the Crown Vics you will find there are going have serious body damage. And the ones that don't are gonna go for top dollar. Good luck.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    As the state has been phasing out the CV's for tahoe's, they are in decent condition lately. Just high mileage. I rode through just a little while ago and there were some decent looking ones in there.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Thanks to both of you.

What is "top dollar"? (Amounts). Is there anything special about these vehicles that go for more coin? (Engine, etc, ?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    They have everything from industrial equipment, to lawn mowers, to 18 wheelers, old police cars, seized vehicles (narcotics seizures) all the way down to school desks and chairs.

The better loooking/lower mileage vehicles go for more expensive usually.

lp11

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Livingston Parish
    Henderson's Auction in Livingston, has an auction coming up April 9,10,11
    They sometimes have them, I sometimes run our surplus units through there, but don't have any this auction.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Thanks to both of you.

What is "top dollar"? (Amounts). Is there anything special about these vehicles that go for more coin? (Engine, etc, ?

What I meant was they may go for what you would pay at a dealer lot. It's been a couple of years since I've gone to one. Maybe the quality has gotten better. Just keep in mind that if you find one that was a patrol car, they strip everything out. The cage, lightbar, etc. Most end up looking like they were stripped for parts. You may end up having to fill holes, etc. Some smaller agencies spray paint over the decals. Others remove them. Either way, you may have to repaint doors and replace moulding. Look at JPSO units and you'll see the moulding fits the shield on the door. Looks dumb when the shield is removed. Higher ranking cars will be in better shape. Not trying to discourage you but keep in mind you don't get to test drive them. You can inspect them beforehand. The auctioneer goes down the line and starts each of them before takng bids. Some usually need a jump. Some won't start at all. Good luck.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you're looking for a performance vehicle, a couple thousand well-placed dollars into a dozen other vehicles will run circles around a leo vic. just my .02

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Thanks to both of you.

Some of the rougher high mileage marked units may go for $1,000 or less. Some of the clean low mileage plain wrapper units may be close to retail.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks to both of you.

They sell for a premium, especially if they are newer and in good shape. Mostly because the better the condition the harder it is to find em.

I don't know about the Vics, but I had a 9C1 Police Impala for a while. It had beefed up suspension, alternator and electrical system, cooling system, and a performance tune on the ECM. A few other upgrades as well. Basically, they are built to be beaten on. I would imagine the Vic upgrades are along the same lines.

I spent a while looking and ended up finding mine on eBay. If you're looking for a fun beater just take what you can find, but if you want something half decent that will last a while, try to find one that wasn't a patrol car. My Impala was a full popo package, but lived its life as a high school security car (like a DARE officer or something similar). It had low miles, wasn't abused and didn't have holes and crap in it from removed lights, etc. If you're patient you could probably find something similar.

I will say though, as my daily driver the novelty wore off quickly. It was fun as hell to drive and I could drive without worry on the worst streets of NOLA (potholes and/or thugs no longer a problem). But the lack of any comfort features sucked. They are truly base model cars beyond the performance/reliability upgrades. Also, I got pulled over more in that car than any other car I've owned. No clue why, just randomly stopped several times. The other downside is other drivers thinking you are a cop, which means you'll be driving behind people that have slowed down to below the speed limit a lot. It was annoying as hell. There were several times I'd actually try to express through hand gestures that i wasn't a cop as they nervously looked in their rearview mirror.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I have to interject a couple of points.

Stay away from real high mileage P71s.

They also had an issue with the plastic intake manifolds cracking.

There were several recalls over the years especially for real axle bearings, so check those out and replace them if you aren't sure.

Also, I met an Ascension parish assclown a couple of years back that wanted one just so he could look like a cop and blast down the road.
    Thought the fact that daddy was a lawyer made it all ok.

I would hope your buddy does not fall into that category.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    They also had an issue with the plastic intake manifolds cracking.

If you come across one like this, I can help you understand how to fix it with a PI intake manifold as I had a cracked one on a T-Bird once. Ford had a design flaw in the coolant flow to these motors that you can take a couple different remedies on along with the mistake of using plastic (use Al now). If you are competent enough to remove a intake manifold from an engine its not too big a deal.

Top Bottom