Polish Plate Rack & Texas Star

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I started shooting USPSA in October so I'm a newbie with 7 matches. Every match has had a Texas Star and/or Polish Plate Rack. I think they are awesome and I love the challenge of shooting them.

Since October I've seen many other new shooters join the sport and they've never seen these before.

There are simple techniques to be used on each. These are openly shared by the more experienced (and better) shooters. What each of these requires is a proper plan AND proper execution. The plan is easy, the execution relies on practice.

The issue is, how do I/we get the practice? There are only a couple of each of these diabolical devices in the area and they belong to the clubs and are located at the Sherrif's Ranges which aren't necessarily open to the general public. And, the equipment is heavy, requiring multiple to set up and take down.

I would be willing to pay a practice fee, equal to a match fee, for the opportunity to get a practice session or two or three :D on each of them. I'll spend at least that much on the ammunition for a session.

We regularly get 10 + at Precision on Monday nights, I'm certain we could get a crowd for this on a weekday evening.

Is this a possibility?
    Can the logistics be worked out?
    How can we get this accomplished?
    Who else is interested?

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Practicing specific props is generally a waste of time, and in all honesty is unethical IMHO. Matches are designed to test shooting skills on demand, and practicing certain props or stage elements is not what it's about.
    Again this is just opinion but many of the top shooters feel the same way. They'll beat you no matter what, they can apply the skills when needed. Spend your time on basic drills and gunhandling and watch what happens, and shoot at 50 yds whenever you can. :)

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Practicing specific props is generally a waste of time, and in all honesty is unethical IMHO. Matches are designed to test shooting skills on demand, and practicing certain props or stage elements is not what it's about.
    Again this is just opinion but many of the top shooters feel the same way. They'll beat you no matter what, they can apply the skills when needed. Spend your time on basic drills and gunhandling and watch what happens, and shoot at 50 yds whenever you can. :)

Daniel hit the nail on the head.
    And aim small, shoot for the center of whatever target you are using. Don't settle for a marginal hit just because it's on the paper.

CliffCargill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I agree with what Daniel said as well. I've only shot the Polish plate rack 3 times. I watched it on youtube before shooting it at Amite the first time. If you can't shoot a super tight group, it's just a waste of time. Work on the basics:

Stance

Grip

Sight Picture

Trigger Control

Last edited:

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    OK, I really appreciate the feedback. I have absolutely no desire to be unethical or to game the system.

I will continue to work on the basics, get better, and continue to have fun.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Oh yeah, I really do enjoy shooting those two. :D

mike45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    LaPlace
    I've found that if in practice you want to simulate the size of a plate or the scoring circle of a popper use a paper plate. The whole plate is about the size of the round part of a popper and the center ring of the plate is about the size of a plate. If set up with several plates at different levels and distances, you can get a feel for the transitions and see where you are hitting so you can make the evaluations and adjustments to get better.

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK

Unethical to practice the targets you will see in a match? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Why wouldn't you try to practice every possible challenge that you might encounter in an event? If you can shoot a tight group you can shoot any target theoretically. However when the timer goes off and there are people watching and you are facing a target you only get to shoot once a month people choke.

I took a class with Mike Seeklander at USSA and we spent several hours breaking down the Texas star. I have also taken classes with Phil Strader and we spent 2-3 hours working on nothing but swingers. In both classes with top pros we became familiar with and proficient with the target so that we could shoot the targets easily come match time.

Last edited:

John58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Unethical to practice the targets you will see in a match? That's the mist ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Why wouldn't you try to practice every possible challenge that you might encounter in an event? If you can shoot a tight group you can shoot any target theoretically. However when the timer goes off and there ate people watching and you are facing a target you only get to shoot once a month people choke. I took a class with Mike Seeklander at USSA and we spent several hours breaking down the Texas star. I have also taken classes with Phil Strader and we spent 2-3 hours working on nothing but swingers. In both classes with top pros we became familiar with and proficient with the target so that we could shoot the targets easily come match time.

I agree with you completely. There is nothing unethical about getting better on a target you are going to see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom