Politicians pay raise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    They are at it again.

Before SB672 was amended last month to link it with congressional pay, Duplessis originally proposed a much larger $70,000 base salary. Also, expense allowances would have at least tripled.

Legislators have argued they are underpaid and that the salary increases can be afforded because of extra state surplus revenue.

However, the state House has at the same time made budget cuts to health care and education from Jindal’s proposed budget.

Voting FOR legislative pay raises: President Chaisson and Sens. Adley, Broome, Crowe, Dorsey, Duplessis, Dupre, Erdey, Gautreaux B., Gray, Jackson, Kostelka, LaFleur, Marionneaux, Martiny, Michot, Murray, Nevers, Shepherd and Thompson.

Voting AGAINST legislative pay raises: Sens. Alario, Amedee, Cassidy, Cheek, Cravins, Donahue, Gautreaux N., Hebert, Heitmeier, McPherson, Morrish, Mount, Quinn, Riser, Shaw and Walsworth.

NOT VOTING: Sens. Long and Smith.

Call your senator that voted for this and call your representative before he does. Oh, and Bobby Jindal said he won't veto it, call him too.

Drew

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I visited the capitol yesterday. . . the poor guys at constituents services had a few hundred calls over that one bill alone. :D

Ridiculous.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Call Bobby and tell him he needs to grow a set and veto this crap. :mad:

Gov. Bobby Jindal
    225-342-7015
    866-366-1121 (toll free)
    225-342-7099 (fax)

If you didn't like the pay why did you take the fing job.
    These a holes claim that they will shut down the state if this bill gets vetoed. Please do me the favor. This state is ranked last in just about every list. This raise will put them in the top 10 as far as legislators pay nation wide. Merit pay sounds like what is needed here.
    I wonder what they'll do to **** me off next. :curse: :madfawk:

Art

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I think this pay raise will make them full time and ban them from having other employment. So, in the end I don't see many of them taking the raise as they want to keep there other jobs.

Just my thought

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    didnt ole jindal say this was the kinda stuff he would stop? they are trying to give themselves tens of thousands but wont give law enforcement an extra $75 on our state supplement pay

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think this pay raise will make them full time and ban them from having other employment. So, in the end I don't see many of them taking the raise as they want to keep there other jobs.

Just my thought

That would be a good move and money well spent. It might discourage the lawyers from becoming congresscritters!

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Not only did they raise their pay but also raised state college tuition $1000 over the next 4 years. That's bull sh**. If they don't have money to fund public education they sure as heck don't have money for a pay raise.

Cybrludite

B.O.W. Crew #3.14159
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Metairie
    I had been upset at the possibility that Jindal might leave to be McCain's VP. If he doesn't veto this pay raise, then I hope he does go with the SOB. They'd deserve one another. Good riddance. Don't let the door hit ya where the All Father split ya. He bends over on this, then there's no way in hell the rest of his reforms will ever pass. May as well have Mitch as governor at that point.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm playing devils advocate here so please don't flame the messenger. I know Representative Eddie Lambert and spent some time week before last talking with him. He is an attorney with a private law practice. The legislature has been in special session so much this year it has had an impact on his practice. On one occasion I needed legal work ASAP for my company and he had to turn me down because he was tied up in the legislature. When he is at the capitol he can't take care of his practice.

How we all view money is a perspective thing. Some people view $1,000 as a lot of money and would have a hard time scrounging it up. Other's view $1,000 as something they simply write a check and it goes through with little thought to it. The money some of our legislators loose leaving their businesses to go to Baton Rouge was not covered at the old salaries. I know they knew that when they went into politics but the reality is some of our legislators make damn good money with their businesses. In their eyes the raise isn't that outlandish. If you make $250K a year an additional $30K would be nice but would not have a major impact on your lifestyle. If you make $30K a year an additional $30K would be significant.

I'm not saying the raise is deserved or that it should pass. The thought I'm posing is this. How many people out there would be legislators if they knew they were going to take a major financial hit? :)

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I hear what you're saying Pain Man, but these guys knew the pitfalls before signing up for the job.
    I think that it should be illegal for them to vote for AND receive a pay raise in the same term.
    I am ok with the current amended amount ($ 37,500, I think ?) as long as they are not the ones receving the pay raise.

Bobby J., you are still a gutless coward. If you spent more time in your office and less time sucking up to the national media you might hear the voices of the people of the state of Louisiana. All words, no action. Another wasted vote. :mad:

Art

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I hear what you're saying Pain Man, but these guys knew the pitfalls before signing up for the job. And school teachers did too, hell they knew what they were getting into when they started college
    I think that it should be illegal for them to vote for AND receive a pay raise in the same term.I feel the same way, Blanco passed a raise for the NEXT governor not her. I feel the same way with these guys who try to oust term limits so they can stay in office.
    I am ok with the current amended amount ($ 30,000 +, I forget the exact amount) as long as they are not the ones receving the pay raise.

Bobby J., you are still a gutless coward. If you spent more time in your office and less time sucking up to the national media you might hear the voices of the people of the state of Louisiana. All words, no action. Another wasted vote. :mad:

1. Bring on Landrieu

Art

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I agree with deferring pay raises to the next term. Devil's Advocate again. Lets say each out going group vote raises for the incoming group wink wink to spread the love. Each out going group will vote raises for the incoming. Just as the outgoing group did for them. It will become a "Tradition" ;)

As a healthcare provider I'm seeing reductions or stagnation in reimbursement from medicare and other insurance companies. My costs keep going up. I would love to vote myself a 1-3% raise annually just to keep up. I'm getting into commercial real estate to offset this trend.

Our present tax system has a really screwed up way to reward hard work. You work overtime, weekends, and holidays to try to get ahead. This hard work puts you into a higher tax bracket so you make less per hour. This money is then given to people who don't work and have kids they cannot afford. It is a double whammy. The hard worker doesn't want to work as hard and the person who gets welfare ain't gonna work.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I agree with deferring pay raises to the next term. Devil's Advocate again. Lets say each out going group vote raises for the incoming group wink wink to spread the love. Each out going group will vote raises for the incoming. Just as the outgoing group did for them. It will become a "Tradition" ;)

As a healthcare provider I'm seeing reductions or stagnation in reimbursement from medicare and other insurance companies. My costs keep going up. I would love to vote myself a 1-3% raise annually just to keep up. I'm getting into commercial real estate to offset this trend.

Our present tax system has a really screwed up way to reward hard work. You work overtime, weekends, and holidays to try to get ahead. This hard work puts you into a higher tax bracket so you make less per hour. This money is then given to people who don't work and have kids they cannot afford. It is a double whammy. The hard worker doesn't want to work as hard and the person who gets welfare ain't gonna work.

"You ain't seen nothing yet"

As I look into my crystal ball I see major suckage in the near future, say about 6 or 7 months.

Art

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just e-mailed Hunter Greene and let him know of my displeasure with him voting himself a pay raise.
    My wife and I work our asses off to raise three kids, pay the bills, and save. I, myself, have seen rock bottom. We make good money nowadays and I still squeak when it comes to spending money. While I could easily write a good $1000 check right now, it's gonna take some serious thought on my part.
    Fuckin' lawmakers need a kick in the groin.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Please explain these "suckages"???

I'm talking about the sucking sound of new taxes and more social programs of a new administration in the White House no matter if its Obama or McCain.
    McCain IS more anti-earmark and conservative spending wise, BUT I think he will cave in to the Dems. social programs just to get along. (another nut-less politician)
    If Obama wins it will be a social spendfest. Health care, welfare, mediacare. He'll care about everybody but the tax payer. Can you say reparations(sp?) for slavery. Thats another thing to watch for this a-hole.
    O well I'm done with this for now.
    Time to watch some Tiger baseball. ESPN 2 HD :D

Art

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    The last time they had a raise was 1980. Do you think that it generally takes 28 years to have an increase to keep up with the market? I've worked with organizations that work with the legislature. They make very little money for the amount of time that they spend doing legislative work. The base salary, including all bonus' is about 35k. Their legislative work consumes alot of their time that they have to take off from work - or abandon work altogether. I'm sorry, but I agree with the raise.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The last time they had a raise was 1980. Do you think that it generally takes 28 years to have an increase to keep up with the market? I've worked with organizations that work with the legislature. They make very little money for the amount of time that they spend doing legislative work. The base salary, including all bonus' is about 35k. Their legislative work consumes alot of their time that they have to take off from work - or abandon work altogether. I'm sorry, but I agree with the raise.

Snap, Penguin and I agree on something. What is this world coming to? :mamoru:

P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    It was done the wrong way and way too hastily.

The legislature should propose two bills, one contingent upon the other.

Bill #1: Decide whether or not being a legislator should be officially classified as a full time job. If it is decided that it is full time, a constitutional amendment should be proposed with the voters deciding whether or not they want their legislators to be full time. If the amendment passes then Bill #2 would be enacted. That bill would determine the rate of pay for a full time legislator.

The change would be effective with the next term, in this case taking effect in January of 2012.

Being a legislator while officially part time is very close to a full time job. While not in session, legislators maintain an office and have to be available to their constituents. They routinely attend events for various organizations.

If the legislature was full time and paid a salary similar to an executive position it would allow regular people to run and serve. As it is now most of those elected are rich, self-employed or both. They have the ability to leave their jobs and have enough money to sustain themselves while they're away from their businesses. The only regular guy that can run and serve is if his employer gives him the flexibility to do so.

Top Bottom