Poll: *Appendix/Crotch Carry* Do you? Have You? Why or Why not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCing via Crotch Carry Method

• Sometimes I do.

Votes: 15 22.7%
    • It is my preferred/primary method of carry.

Votes: 7 10.6%
    • I have never and will never carry this way.

Votes: 33 50.0%
    • I might in the future.

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Here's another clip to prove that its not a new technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMEVzv0AO4

Its a pet peeve of mine when people think certain techniques are "trendy" when infact they are just forgotten or not well known. I am sure a lot of people thought Rob Leatham's pistol grip was trendy, along with wonder nines, $50 slings, and weaponlights that we now take for granted. I remember seeing pictures somewhere on the internet of MUSKETS with single point slings.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Here's another clip to prove that its not a new technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMEVzv0AO4

Its a pet peeve of mine when people think certain techniques are "trendy" when infact they are just forgotten or not well known. I am sure a lot of people thought Rob Leatham's pistol grip was trendy, along with wonder nines, $50 slings, and weaponlights that we now take for granted. I remember seeing pictures somewhere on the internet of MUSKETS with single point slings.

Something can be old and still be trendy. A couple years ago you never heard a word about appendix carry. Then I started seeing the concept pop up here and there on forums, typically with a very negative reception. Then Todd Green started advocating it, Raven started making holsters for it, and it was the cool new thing. It's not new, nothing is. But I would venture to call it trendy. Trendy doesn't mean bad or wrong...but it is what it is.

Awerbuck had a GREAT article on the subject (old ideas and techniques repeatedly being "rediscovered" and branded), if I hadn't lent out the book I would have copied it here.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My thought is that it fell out of style when black gun tactical stuff became all the rage, as Swat team and soldiers are what everyone thinks to be the pinnacle of cool guy. If you can get past it not being cool, it's a pretty effective way to carry

Exactly. At one time it was primary, then all of a sudden tacticool holsters were the SHIZZ.

Silly flip-flopping Fanboyish games.

It either works or it doesn't.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Who gives a **** if it's old, new or trendy? It's whether it's efficient or not and even still is pure personal preference.

You stated you were surprised more people didn't appendix (or crotch) carry. I gave my opinion why, which partially involved it being both "new" (rediscovered really) and trendy.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Always man. Livin the dream....

i-m-jealous.gif
    but happy still. Glad your loving it.

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Appendix carry with my LC9. I have found that this is the most comfortable with getting in and out of a car, and it seems to hide better in the front at 2 verus my back at 4/5. In my younger years I might be a little more worried about the appendix position, but since I've been married for 17 years, no worries any more. Any of you that have been married for more than 6 months know exactly what I mean, and those of you married less than 6 months, you will know soon enough.:mamoru:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Some people believe that consciously trying to separate oneself from current trends is trendy.....

All in all I watched my grandfather either mexican carry or pocket carry a revolver growing up. I do the same thing just with holsters.....

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I do it for comfort and the trendiness. Along with hats from Dolce & Gabbana and sporting a bluetooth Jawbone II everywhere I go.

Cant cant cant, it's all about cant. The barrel isn't pointed toward arteries or ball sacks with the right cant when carrying forward of 3 o'clock up to 1 o'clock or so.

It's not that difficult at all to put on a hostler (the right one) without pointing the barrel into your vulva, ball sack, leg or head, either.

Last edited:

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    I appendix carry my G23 at the 1 o'clock position using an Uncle Mikes holster. I'm 200 lbs so it hides well and is actually comfortable. I've had to run with it and had no problems with wanting to leave the holster. The draw is about the quickest of all the ways i've conceal carried. I agree with the above post of canting the barrel away from the family jewels and/or femoral artery.

Jack

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    First off; "appendix" carry and "crotch" carry are not the same.

SmartCarry is a lot more comfy if one pushes the rig a little past midline to weak side; say11:00 or 11:30. It also helps to wear two T-shirts. I have one on now and don't even notice it.

No one rig or method is good for all body types, clothing selections, weather, etc. I am coming to appreciate Pangris' "J-frame-in-front-pocket" style more and more.

I am a big beer-gut guy and usually have multiple on board. One of my friends was kidnapped and executed by robbers. I don't wish to go that way.

leVieux

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    First off;
    I was in my local gun shop the other day and was talking to an Off Duty LEO about Gun Stuff. He mentioned something about the XDM to which I replied that I had one too etc.etc. He then said he carries it on/off duty and mentioned that he was carrying at the moment and made a jester towards his crotch. Without skipping a beat he says yea I use a Uncle Mike's holster while pulling up his shirt to show me. His point was that he actually CC's the Full size XDM via Crotch carry.

Secondly;
    Over the last year Louisianan’s are getting their CHP more and more. So the talk of it and method of carry is a common topic. I've noticed more and more folks are indeed carrying via the Crotch Carry. I've also heard from some folks who are a bit round around the hips that Carry this way is more comfortable for them.

So I tried it out, in the backyard. I can actually Draw/Point a bit Faster from the Crotch than from the 4 0'clock position.

Just wondering if anyone here carries this way and why or why not.

Cheers and KEEP IT CLEAN PLEASE!

I have carried my Taurus Ultra lite .44 special in an Uncle Mikes holster that way while wearing gym shorts, Riding my bicycle. Very well hidden, easily accessable
    and quite comfortable. (While wearing gym shorts I used an old belt with the holster, under the shorts, and covered by a t shirt.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom