Poll: Cruises - Love em or Hate em

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are your thoughts on cruises?

• Love em

Votes: 7 21.2%
    • Hate em

Votes: 7 21.2%
    • Haven't been

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Never been on one, a buddy is pushing us to do one next year so we may, waiting for him to get back to me with details.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Never been on one, a buddy is pushing us to do one next year so we may, waiting for him to get back to me with details.
    Ive been on one cruise and enjoyed it but i have no desire to go again. If youve never been i say go for it. The entertainment is top notch, food at the formal dinners is great and the ship itself is pretty awesome. One thing i still remember about the cruise is i slept like a baby at night.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I just don't get people who are germ obsessed. You do realize your skin will protect you, right?
    And, all-in-all, I just don't want "many options" on me, whether it's harmful or not.
    I'm an adult male, not biologically capable of getting pregnant, but I am not okay with someone trying. LOL

1000001802.jpg

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Did a Viking river cruise and liked it. Probably wouldn't like an ocean cruise.

As far as germs, when I was 7 my mom took us 3 houses down to play for a few hours so we could all get chicken pox.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Rarely should the possibility of encountering germs be the deciding factor for doing something or not doing something.
    There are situations/scenarios I avoid for that exact reason.
    As far as cruises are concerned, the cost:return is also a factor in my avoidance of them. What do I get for my money by going on a cruise? It's a one-time experience in exchange for my money.

I recently bought a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 200 casting reel. Before the government's tax, that reel cost me $600.
    Not too long ago I bought a Shimano Stella FK 2500 and a Stella FK 4000, spinning reels. Before the government's piece the 2500 is $800, the 4000 is $810. That's $2210 for three fishing reels (not counting tax). Fishing reels that will provide years of service and many meals.

What might an average cruise cost?

These are just my values and I'm not knocking anyone who does things different.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    There is absolutely nothing that a cruise offers that I would be even remotely interested in. I've heard all the testimonials and high five ratings.....still a nope for me. When I travel I like to do it on my own schedule in the continental USA...and at my own pace....which may change at any moment once I leave home. Free spirit here with no interest in night life, bars, shows or loaded buffets. I'm not criticizing those who do like cruises. Whatever floats your boat. (pun intended) I'm happy for you. It's just not my cup of tea.
    Years ago my ex-wife wanted me to go on a cruise to nowhere. I inquired what a cruise to nowhere is? She explained that we would leave New Orleans go out make a circle and come back to NO. At the time I was working as an oilfield diver. "So.....you expect me to take a boat go look at some oilwells and NOT get paid for it???"

HBS92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2024
    Central, La
    What are your thoughts on cruises? I'm interested to see if the cards land the way I think they will.

While it's quick and easy to respond to the poll, I'd be very interested to hear your rationale for why you feel the way that you do. What ships have you been on and what did you love vs what did you hate? If you haven't been on a cruise, what are your reservations or reasons for not cruising? What would make you consider trying one?

Lastly, a completely shameless plug - we are certified to sell cruises on all of the major cruise lines. I've personally cruised out of multiple ports in the United States and have very strong preferences on which cruise lines I love, vs which I will never go back on (looking at you, Carnival!). I'll share my thoughts in a future post. But for now, I'd love to hear from you, below, and if you're interested in discussing travel for you
    Years ago my ex-wife wanted me to go on a cruise to nowhere. I inquired what a cruise to nowhere is? She explained that we would leave New Orleans go out make a circle and come back to NO. At the time I was working as an oilfield diver. "So.....you expect me to take a boat go look at some oilwells and NOT get paid for it???"

As far as germs, when I was 7 my mom took us 3 houses down to play for a few hours so we could all get chicken pox.
    I looked at the prices of the river cruises up the Mississippi and its unreal how expensive they are

2A Travel

PM for Cruises, Vacations, Disney and More!
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    I think its subjective to the cruise company. If the company is Spirit Airlines, but on the water, then its a hard no. If the cruise company is Etihad Airlines on the water then yes I would take one.

Very different types of passengers to deal with.
    Without a doubt! It's also very dependent on where the cruise departs. I normally recommend that clients in Louisiana depart from Galveston, TX, if they're willing to drive a few hours. I also try to get folks to steer clear of Carnival, but it's not a dealbreaker.
    I both love em and hate em at the same time.
    I feel that!
    Cruises are the Golden Corral of vacations.

I’ve been on a couple of cruises and am considering another next summer(Alaskan Cruise so I’m building it up to be different and better).
    Alaskan and Mediterranean cruises are where it's at! Whenever y'all start shopping, definitely reach out and we'd love to help with the booking process and see if we can save you some money :)

I did not say germs should be sought out. But there are a lot of other places people can find germs in similar abundance and variety. Rarely should the possibility of encountering germs be the deciding factor for doing something or not doing something.
    This.

Ever since COVID everyone has cracked down on cleanliness, cruises included.

They're fun! We'd love to help y'all with the booking process :)

Ive been on one cruise and enjoyed it but i have no desire to go again. If youve never been i say go for it. The entertainment is top notch, food at the formal dinners is great and the ship itself is pretty awesome. One thing i still remember about the cruise is i slept like a baby at night.
    Man you are so right, the gentle rocking at night is absolutely where it's at! Agreed on the food, though normally when we go, we splurge a bit and don't eat in the main dining room, but rather do different formal dining options.

Which Viking cruise did y'all do?

There are situations/scenarios I avoid for that exact reason.
    As far as cruises are concerned, the cost:return is also a factor in my avoidance of them. What do I get for my money by going on a cruise? It's a one-time experience in exchange for my money.

I recently bought a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 200 casting reel. Before the government's tax, that reel cost me $600.
    Not too long ago I bought a Shimano Stella FK 2500 and a Stella FK 4000, spinning reels. Before the government's piece the 2500 is $800, the 4000 is $810. That's $2210 for three fishing reels (not counting tax). Fishing reels that will provide years of service and many meals.

What might an average cruise cost?

These are just my values and I'm not knocking anyone who does things different.
    It really comes down to how you value experiences vs items.

I, personally, go on a cruise every few years just to enjoy sitting on a boat, doing and thinking about nothing, and enjoying the entertainment, food, and sometimes the excursions. Sometimes we honestly don't even get off of the boat at the ports. Cruises are really solid budget friendly options that allow folks to hit different countries that they otherwise would not visit.

That being said, I prefer flying into a country and exploring for a bit, but we're talking apples vs oranges!

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Which Viking cruise did y'all do?

We did the Rhine river cruise. It's pretty regimented and different than ocean cruises I'm told. You have a stop every day in a different city; some better or worse than others, but you get a broad flavor of several countries. That said, if you want to hit a lot of the highlights and sleep in the same spot every night it's great. The food is top notch as well. You really just want a greasy burger by the end of it.

2A Travel

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    We did the Rhine river cruise. It's pretty regimented and different than ocean cruises I'm told. You have a stop every day in a different city; some better or worse than others, but you get a broad flavor of several countries. That said, if you want to hit a lot of the highlights and sleep in the same spot every night it's great. The food is top notch as well. You really just want a greasy burger by the end of it.
    That sounds fun!!

Yeah, Ocean Cruises (or down here, Gulf Cruises) have you spending a few days at sea on the cruise ship before bouncing between ports. They work as the ships are outrageously huge. For example, the new Icon of the Seas is 1200 ft long, 200 ft wide, and has 18 passenger decks. You can truly get lost on these ships and have different things to do all day.

Anyway, changing topics, thanks to those of you who have reached out! We just booked a cruise for a member on the forum!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have worked Maritime law for years and if you knew a fraction of the things not talked about, you would not step foot on a cruise ship.

2A Travel

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    I have worked Maritime law for years and if you knew a fraction of the things not talked about, you would not step foot on a cruise ship.
    Maybe, maybe not, but for the average traveler they're an awesome bang for your buck and are a fun time!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I spent years working on different ships and saw many countries.

Last edited:

gman3214

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 25, 2022
    Meatire
    I just don't like being stuck on a boat were I pay large amounts of money to drink and gamble. I also dislike regulated group activities. That's just me. The ports are shame because I've been restricted on travel due previous jobs. It's been a thing I wanted to explore but I got like 4-6hrs? Then re board the floating bus.
    Verdict. It just aint for me. Whole verdict is bias. Ive plenty of family that love it

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Alaska Cruises are really nice. Get a balcony if you do one. Cruises out of New Orleans (mostly what we do so we don't have to fly), different clientele. Carnival is the entry level, so most folks do Carnival (it's cheaper). Norwegian is nice and Royal Caribbean is better.

2A Travel

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    Alaska Cruises are really nice. Get a balcony if you do one. Cruises out of New Orleans (mostly what we do so we don't have to fly), different clientele. Carnival is the entry level, so most folks do Carnival (it's cheaper). Norwegian is nice and Royal Caribbean is better.
    Your balcony advice is on point! I'll never cruise again not in a balcony!

2A Travel

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2024
    Bumping this thread back up to the top! Reach out today for free quotes - we're currently booking cruises with last minute summer specials, winter getaways, and into next year!

Top Bottom