poor (?) 20" stainless steel barrel accuracy - update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

Not sure I'm in the right forum. Maybe someone can offer some suggestions.

Been completely satisfied with AR15 uppers and lowers from PSA in the past.

Looking for best accuracy possible. Now only shoot Sierra 69 grain Match King bullets in barrels with 1-7 twist.

Purchased a PSA 16" Mid-length barrel 5.56 NATO 1-7 twist, which will consistently shoot @.5* groups.

Because of the accuracy of the PSA 16* Mid-length purchased a PSA 20" Rifle-Length 1-7 stainless steel barrel upper with fantastic reviews. Expecting groups as good, if not better, than groups from the PSA 16" Mid-length barrel.

Have given up on the PSA 20" Rifle-length 1-7 stainless steel barrel. Have shot dozens and dozens of rounds trying to find an accurate combination for the PSA 20* stainless steel barrel.

Yesterday shooting 69 grain Sierra Match King bullets, the PSA 16* barrel 5 shot groups less than .5* (.454*). Shooting the same load in the PSA 20* stainless steel barrel, 2* groups. Makes no difference on powder or bullet combination, the PSA 20* stainless steel barrel consistently shoots 2* (or larger) groups.

Both rifles have 12x max power Nikon scopes and 3# trigger pulls. @250 rounds fired in the PSA 20* stainless steel barrel.

Am I expecting too much in terms of accuracy from the PSA 20* stainless steel barrel?

Open to any suggestions .

Thx.

rp

up date;

PSA did post my 1 star review on the 20* stainless steel barrel several days ago but discovered it has disappeared. they have not responded to my letter sent 1 week ago requesting some feed back.

If the accuracy I get from this barrel is within their spec, then it’s ok. If it’s within their spec then we sell the upper start over. Not the first time. It’s a disappointment PSA has not made an attempt to discuss my concerns.

Update 2

PSA said send everything back to them. Provided a shipping label for shipment.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I would say you are not expecting too much. If you are not satisfied, you are not satisfied. I have also had good luck with PSA accuracy as well, BUT cheaper barrels can sometimes be less consistent barrel to barrel in a lot or from the same manufacturer. I would be disappointed with 2" as well, but for some battle rifles that is acceptable. Also, you could try reaching out to PSA, but they do not explicitly offer an accuracy guarantee.

The first thing I was going to say was that I usually wait until at least 200 rounds before judging a barrel, but it looks like you are past that. Another thing to think about is that a longer barrel is not necessarily more accurate. Usually everything else being equal (barrel material type, barrel manufacturer, barrel profile) longer barrels are more subject to barrel whip and less accurate. I like short and thick barrels myself. The benefit from longer barrels comes from the velocity bump, but if you are not shooting very long distances, you may not need the velocity.

I have some PSA uppers that shoot consistently great groups with handholds, but I also have PA 10 that shoots everything-from match ammo, reloads, and cheap stuff-between 1" and 1.5" It never shoots better than 1", but never shoots worse than 1.5" with anything. Just how it is sometimes.

What powders have you tried?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That is a very sucky group for that combo.
    I’ve been lucky a few time to find what I consider to be budget barrels that’s are extremely accurate.
    Anderson had a carbine gassed HBAR 16 inch straight fluted barrel that I found to be so accurate I bought a handful and built rifles for myself and family/friends and all were very consistent. Mine will shoot a 5 round group at 100 yards with all rounds touching with 75-77gr ammo. It’s a 223 Wylde 1:7 so it likes heavier ammo. The barrels were $121 shipped.
    Except for Ballistic Advantage, I haven’t bought any stainless barrels. Most of the shiny low cost stainless barrels are elcheapo or budget barrels and not really known for accuracy.
    Mid length or rifle gassed barrels are a little more pleasant to shoot and barrels of a better profile are generally more accurate in my experience.

Last edited:

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    question on powder. best seems like the combination is 23 grains of H322 for both 55 grain or 69 grain sierras. tried 4 other powders but h322 gives the best accuracy. note;

the bolt gun with 1-12 twist, shooting 69 grain bullets will have groups @ 3" and the holes in target are .30 caliber holes. wobble wobble.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    question on powder. best seems like the combination is 23 grains of H322 for both 55 grain or 69 grain sierras. tried 4 other powders but h322 gives the best accuracy. note;

the bolt gun with 1-12 twist, shooting 69 grain bullets will have groups @ 3" and the holes in target are .30 caliber holes. wobble wobble.

Did you try something a little slower burning with the longer barrel? Maybe try IMR 8208XBR, Varget, A2520, or Reloader 15. They are not velocity kings-you can make that up in barrel length-but have good reputations for accuracy with that bullet weight. H322 is not bad choice but more popular for 55 and 62 grains

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

1:12 twist would be better suited for a .22LR target rifle than a heavy .223 round. My rule of thumb: 1:7 for heavier pills (69-77gr)
    1:8 is a decent middle of the road catch all and 1:9 usually shoots better groups with 45-55gr loads in my experience.

My powder choices for .223 vary a little but I’ve used Varget for years with good results. I also like Hodgdon powders, but can’t always get what I want. H335 and 322 are both good but rare at the moment and CFE223 is turning out to be a very decent propellant and has been very available (last can I bought at Academy!). Also, primer choice can make a difference. I know there is load data for 5.56 but I’ve always stuck with .223.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I feel MD is correct with what he wrote. The 1:12 twist is best suited to the very light bullets. This is the problem when you buy low cost parts, if you pay a premium price for a good barrel and it doesn’t preform, you can go back to the manufacturer and explain the issue and get it resolved. There is a reason good barrels cost so much.
    One thing your can try is to get a of of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, either 69 or 77 grain and see what the barrel will do. This will eliminate anyone saying it’s your loads causing the problem. The IMR-8208 is really a good powder for heavy .22 caliber bullets.

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun

Last edited:

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    possibly a good polishing of the barrel? using some J&B no embedding bore cleaner or maybe some flitz polish on a flannel patch? there may be a rough part of the cut or maybe a burr where the gas port was drilled which is throwing you off...

Top Bottom