Possible to still get an AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    With everyone worried about obama's gun legislature and the recent article mentioning the upcoming ban possibility, I began looking for an AR15 to call my own. However, as I look around I am beginning to realize that everyone is doing the same thing! Am I too late? I really want to buy a lower and build one, but I am worried that that option is going to cease to be available soon if it is not already. Plus prices on lowers have shot up from what I can see, so it looks like its going to be expensive to acquire one if I even can. My question is, am I too late? Do you think I can still get my hands on one? And do you think it would be best to just find one and buy it or still be picky and search for a good one? Do you think I still have time to build one?

Also, can you pm me some places to start monitoring for a decent deal or at least something in stock!

Thanks, guys.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    You have time.

If it were me (and I could afford it) get a quality AR (even if you have to backorder it) and get a spare lower. That way, you know you have something, at least, and you are also on the road to building a cutom rifle, also.

As always, I recommend Stag. I would get a Model 1 (or better) and a spare lower from them, and have them ship it to an FFL.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The One will not take office for awhile. Ask them what their lead time is. I think you probably would, but you could always shop online for one in stock (whatever the cost) if you really wanted to play it safe. To tell you the truth, that it probably what I would do, but then I am not a bargain shopper.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I was just in S&S Tactical in Slidell yesterday and they had a few AR's in stock. You may want to check them out, but hurry.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Someone answer me this. Since the upper and parts kit is NOT an actual gun do you think they will stop manufacturing them if there is a ban? I have the funds to buy a bunch of lowers right now, just not the uppers.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Someone answer me this. Since the upper and parts kit is NOT an actual gun do you think they will stop manufacturing them if there is a ban? I have the funds to buy a bunch of lowers right now, just not the uppers.

I dont think they will put a ban on parts kits. The 94 AWB didnt ban them, but if you bought a bunch of lowers pre-AWB, and they were not assembled into rifles before the ban went into effect, they were legally considered post-ban.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    True, those new microchips they have may tell on me. How did other people fry them? I saw something about putting them in the microwave. :p

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Yeah I need to pick up a couple lowers just to have since I can't afford a complete AR right now. I think we got time. . .

FWIW, I ordered an upper on Nov. 2 and it was a 19-20 day wait time. After the election it was pushed to 6 wks.

I would say, if you are thinking about it, just do it. I think the panic buying will last until inauguration and then worse afterwards....

Tallboy350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I, like 10,000's of others apparently, am looking at the same thing. I wish i was about 3 weeks quicker to the draw on this one.

I can only afford a lower now, and i'll build it up over time. Not to thread jack what are some brands you'd suggest as good ones, and what are some brands you suggest i'd stay away from?

thanks.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I sent Stag Arms a message just now. I am going to wait till the end of the week and if I don't hear back from them I am going to go on a search for the best AR I can find under or at 1 grand. Thanks for the help guys. And keep the suggestions coming for me and any others in this same predicament.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Also just sent CMMG-Inc a message about lead times. Hopefully one of the two gets back to me. I believe my first choice will be CMMG. I am going to buy a complete rifle just so I won't being stuck looking for parts the closer it gets to ban time.

Now I need to decide which options I want. Definitely no larger than a 16" barrel, a Carbine or Mid Length gas system, A3 receiver so I have room to upgrade with optics, but other than that, I have no idea? Do I want a 14.5", 14.7" 16" barrel? Anything else that is a must to get? I'd love for someone to go to the CMMG site and pick me a few rifles you think would work with my above options to help me decide. Thanks folks...

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    I was at Academy in Slidell on Monday, they had a half dozen ARs on the rack. M&P for $899, Bushmaster for $950. Arms Merchant in Mandeville had a couple pre-owned ones on the shelf in the $800-900 range 2 days after the election, one of them had never been fired.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Just to help others in this situation...

Stag Arms responded, "we are currently on an 8 week backorder for all lowers, uppers, and complete rifles from the date you place your order with us. Smaller parts orders are also on a 6 week backorder as well."

CMMG Inc responded, "Most orders are taking 3-4 weeks one placed."

Help me choose a CMMG rifle!

Top Bottom