Powder coating prices???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Alright so I finally finished upgrading my new powder coat equipment. Nothing fancy but an oven roughly 2 1/2 x 2 x 2, a blast cabinet with fine grit aluminum oxide, and a down draft table to keep the mess down when spraying the powder. I have been doing small jobs for friends and charging a few bucks here and here to help with supplies but I want to try and make a few dollars to support my gun addiction and offset the supplies and time.
    My question is what have you guys been paying for gun coating or what do you think is fair prices.
    I won't be doing any major assembly or dissasembly of firearms just for liability purposed. I dont want to be responsible for anyones safety. Merely doing cosmetic upgrades and plan on setting up some polishing equipment soon.

So I'd like a bunch of replies on what people think is fair prices on the blasting and powder coating for rifles, pistols, shotguns or just whatever you have or have had done in the past.
    THANKS

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just an FYI but the ATF requires you to have an FFL to conduct the business of working on firearms which includes coatings. I was going to do the same thing with Cerakote before I started Ritten Prec. but decided to wait till my license came through after reading up on it.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Yeah I was doing a little research on that as well. One big part is if you only do it on parts, as in barrels, uppers, trigger housings and things like that the ATF has nothing to do with it. If you do serial numbered parts as in frames, some receivers and lowers it requires the licensing. There is some grey area there that talks about doing it as an income or business compared to doing it as a hobby. I don't have any plans on going large scale at the moment and just keeping it between friends and such so we will see how far I go with it. Also if I get payed to do a job like coat someone's barrel it is legal, and if we become friends and I decide to coat there frame for "free" now then that is also legal. so... there is always a way.

I already do some coatings and parkerizing for friends so I've been thinking about it for a while now and don't see how paying the government a fee to coat one piece of metal but not another just because one has a serial number is insane. Without this post turning into a poitical rant here I am very tired of the control the government is trying to put impose on the individual. They work for us not the other way around.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The grey area that you're talking about isn't so grey. It's actually black and white. If they pull the firearm down and bring you the barrel or other part (without this serial #) then you'd be fine under the statute. If you have the firearm in your possession (serialized part) then the law requires you to have an FFL. Now, will they come after you for this? Probably not but if you're willing to take that chance then by all means you should probably delete this thread and never speak of these things in a public forum again. (remove tinfoil hat from pocket and put on head)The MAN is watching, and these statements have been recorded for future use. I had to get my FFL so I could continue my Gunsmith work and I started out the way you are. In the end the" .Gov" will get their pound of flesh. They're going to get the fee one way or another, and if you're doing it for profit then the IRS will get theirs as well. Good luck.

As to the OP I'm not sure what the charge for PowderCoating would be. If I were you I'd go online check out prices and first see if I could do it for the same cost. If I could then that's what I would charge. If not then I'd figure my time (time=$) and materials, then add a little profit and PREST-O CHANGE-O you have your price. Good luck in this as well

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I somehow knew this would turn more into a legal discussion and not a gunsmithing discussion. Thanks for looking out for me. I am typically one who follows the laws or at minimum finds solid grounds to skirt them. As far as "big brother" watching. If they want you they will come get you, no forum post is needed. After putting 12yrs in the military, working a few federal and contract jobs and am currently working for nasa I am very familiar with government control. Trust me they are more worried about other **** than scanning web forums all day looking for crap like this. So everyone can take off there tin foil hats, put the batteries back in their cellphones and relax. Or... maybe I am a government spy trying to convince everyone to relax while secretly watching and recording you all................

Anyway, as for the original post, again was just asking for anyone who has had powder coating done to see what they payed. Let's just say I'm looking to have some done and wondering what it would cost. And I wasn't looking for online prices, was trying to compare local
    Thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom