Practice @ Precision on Monday Night

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Glad to have you and the rest who showed up last night. This is practice for us and a way to learn & try new things and work on proper technique. If we can help you or anyone else, just ask, we are willing to help and pass on any information we can. Bring a friend and helkp them get started.

Beauxdog :cool:

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Who was the guy in the blue shirt last night with the 1911 that kept fouling up? I recently had the same issues with my reloads and would like to offer my advise.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That was John H. and I'm not sure if he post on B.S. or not. He has a few ideas he went home with. I'm sure he'll be back next Monday.

Beauxdog :)

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hey guys just wanted to say thanks again for an awesome night in shooting, I know I suck, which IMO is better than thinking I know everything, I look forward to shooting with all of you again and receiving any suggestions or criticisms that you might have that can make me better.

Ahhh, you know far more than you think little grasshoppa...the first step of learning is to be the empty cup.

(notes from the injured reserve bleacher)

Last edited:

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Well I will post my thoughts here and if any of you agree with me you can forward the info to him, If not trash it.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 press (no comments please). The seating and crimping take place in the same die. At one point I had the taper crimp set a little too low and it was trying to crimp before the lead was seated fully. What resulted was a thin curl of lead was being cut from the side of the lead. That thin curl of lead was enough to mess up the headspacing and not allow the cartridge to fully seat into the chamber. I think this is what I saw happening to John H.

My remedy, since I don't have a big fancy Dillon press where the seating and the crimping are in two separate stations and can be adjusted independently, was to back off the crimp a bit and tighten down the seating portion of the die to maintain the same OAL. This caused the seating portion to be completely finished with its job before the taper crimping started. Thereby eliminating the thin curl of lead.

I also bought a headspacing gauge and check my reloads every 50 or so just to be sure they are still OK. I found that the headspace gauge was way more unforgiving than my actual barrel so I keep it handy for when the occasional cartridge won't fit in the HS gauge, most of the time they still fit in the barrel.

Keep in mind that I am very much a noob and only have about 1500 rounds under my belt with this setup and I could be entirely off base. If I am please let me know.

Like the guy said before, the good thing about this group is the help, and yes, the criticism that you get by being a part of it. Thanks guys for all the help you have given me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom