price to shoot the LA Gator match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jps231

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Hey guys and gals,
    Is it just me but in two years the cost of shooting the Gator match has gone up from $135.00 in 2011 to $175.00 in 2013. In 2012 they did a favor and help area 4 with the Gator match. We were told that the match fees were not going to change,but it did. Now, instead of going back to the origianal price of $135.00, it has gone up to $175.00 to shoot this match. Mabye it is just me,but can anybody give us a legitament reason for such a price increase over the last two years.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    At the risk of stirring more contempt than has already been done on other sites, I agree. I'm interested to know what value is being added by the price increase. The only other pistol match that I'm aware of that costs this much is the upcoming Double Tap in Wichita Falls, TX which raised their prices in order to be able to allow ROs to shoot free, provide free lodging to ROs, etc and they consistently build new props, equipment, etc at every match which obviously costs money. To my knowledge this will not occur at the Gator classic. Props are provided by the 3 Louisiana Section clubs so there is no additional cost there. I guess my concern (and I believe the concern of others) is that, if there is no value add, where is the extra money going?

Jps231

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Spanky, thanks for the the vote of confidence after your research. You do know me. My name is Joel Senia and I have been shooting USPSA for the last 25 years in this area. I have shot all but one Gator match and that was only because we were misled by last years cost to shoot. The big question is why cannot the entrance fee be retuened to what is was before they did a favor for the area 4 match which was $135.00??

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Could the range be wanting a bigger piece of the pie again? That $175 buys about 3yrs worth of gas for my 50hp Honda. I prefer to fish now.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You need to ask the match organizers where the $ goes. As far as I know, the info is attainable, just gotta know who to ask. And, no, I ain't that person.

Jps231

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Sent Kevin Doss an email last night asking him why the cost of the match went up. the response i recieved was that it was the Gator Classic Committe. So now my question is, who is on this committe so we can get some direct answers.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I agree that it's a legitimate question and jps231 is, as Spanky stated, very legit.

Sponsor fees went up a greater percentage. It remains to be seen how that will affect the number and type of sponsorships. I do know of one new Match Sponsor.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I may shoot the Gator for my first time this year but given the high cost of entry and that the prizes will be given out in order of finish discourages me as a C shooter.

Hammar

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Metairie
    I may shoot the Gator for my first time this year but given the high cost of entry and that the prizes will be given out in order of finish discourages me as a C shooter.

I was DQ'd at my first Gator, so essentially finished last. Still went to the prize table and prize value still equalled my entry fee.

Don't know what the prize table will look like this year, but that has been my experience in the past.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I was DQ'd at my first Gator, so essentially finished last. Still went to the prize table and prize value still equalled my entry fee.

Don't know what the prize table will look like this year, but that has been my experience in the past.

I finished 8th in production last year and got no where near the value of my entry fee. Maybe I'm in the wrong division.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    My 2 cents is that its a great match that I dont have to help break down or set up.Every thing I do today cost more.I hope it wont go up anymore but its not a issue to me today.Also I have always won prizes that valued more than my entry fee and as many of you can attest to I am a bad shooter.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    I amazed at this. I'd love to buy a barrett 50 cal semi auto rifle with a nightforce scope but I don't have the money to. I'm sure not going to rag Barrett and Nightforce because their prices are too high.

1. Don't want to pay the entry fee, don't shoot. Believe me, you won't be missed.
    2. Nobody is making money off this event.
    3. Any excess monies are spent buying from the sponsor tables and placed on the prize table.
    4. Start your own match and charge what you want. Hey maybe have free entries for everyone so we can just all get along

Mike Pizzolatto
    Past President EAPS

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    As someone who ran clubs and matches years ago before most of the current shooters were around I can say that these things change all the time. Personally I don't care for prize tables, I had some pretty high finishes in the past all over the country when I was shooting a lot and I could have always bought what I wanted with the money I spent to attend a match and improve my ability and equipment. However, unless you're willing to run it please understand that this is volunteer and they are trying to give the people what they ask for, which today seems to be prizes for just showing up. That costs money. Nowdays it seems that people judge a match by door prizes and I may disagree with that inside, but not enough to lose sleep over a few bucks. To me as long as the stages are prop heavy and visually interesting, require thought, a blend of speed AND accuracy, and I don't walk away hungry Sunday I'm happy. I'm sure I won't be disappointed, just hope I'm up to shooting by then.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom