Primer pocket cleaning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    When I reloaded on the rock chucker I would de-prime, go through the primer pockets with the pocket cleaning tool and then re-prime. In the videos I see with the progressive presses the guys just run through the whole reloading process....what about the primer pocket cleaning?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    When I reloaded on the rock chucker I would de-prime, go through the primer pockets with the pocket cleaning tool and then re-prime. In the videos I see with the progressive presses the guys just run through the whole reloading process....what about the primer pocket cleaning?

For pistol rounds I don't bother. Only thing I do is a visual check to see if the flash hole and pocket is clear.

I do the same for non-critical rifle rounds.

Here's my favorite quote on the subject: "Yes, you have to... unless you don't want to..."
    :)

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    On pistol and plinking ammo for rifles I don't bother with cleaning the primer pockets.
    On my accuracy loads for my rifles I do uniform & clean my flash holes and primer pockets. It probably doesn't matter, but it's one less variable to worry about.

Art

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Every once in a blue moon, I'll hit the pockets of any extra grungy pieces of brass. But not on a regular basis.

Top Bottom