Primitive Deer Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I think they started it to give the ole time muzzle loaders a break from the modern rifle shooters. Muzzle loaders didn't stand a chance when rifle season opened.
    I know a few people who avoid the 1st week of rifle , unless they hunt private land

Way too many shooters ..vs.. hunters in the woods

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    I’ve often wondered without really investigating how, a 30-06 case can be necked up to be called the whelen and qualify for ‘primitive’ weapon

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I’ve often wondered without really investigating how, a 30-06 case can be necked up to be called the whelen and qualify for ‘primitive’ weapon
    It met the criteria at the time when they allowed bottleneck cases. 35 caliber or larger. Realistically, do you think it hits harder than modern 45-70 bullets?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    It met the criteria at the time when they allowed bottleneck cases. 35 caliber or larger. Realistically, do you think it hits harder than modern 45-70 bullets?
    No it doesnt hit harder by any measure. It does however have superior ballistics which allow it to hit hard way farther out. Ive killed with the old big slugs. They work but some of them assholes dont know they are dead and can run really far though stuff you cant walk through...

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    CVA TD 350 Legend. I've yet to shoot anything with it but have shot deer with a Handirifle in 357 Mag using 360 Dan Wesson brass and Hornady .357 180gr XTP bullets. The Legend is more of the same. None ran further than 30yds.
    My CVA 350 didn't like the Winchester 180gr factory ammo but loves the Winchester Deer Season 150gr ammo and my Hornady 180gr XTP handloads.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve had both, a CVA Scout in .44 Mag and H&R 35 Whelen. For under 100 yards, I’d go with the .44 Mag. Plenty accurate once you sight it in and will not be as punishing to the shooter but still effective.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it....

If you want to go primitive, then you should go primitive.
    Muzzle loader flintlock or percussion rifle, pistol, shotgun, loose powder, no pellets, no scope .

That was the original intent of the primitive weapon season. They should break up the season for "primitive and modern primitive"
    I feel the same way every time I take my 1960s Bear K mag into the woods... traditional archery should get an extra week or 3 before training wheels bows. Also, crossbows should fall into primitive season, not archery.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it....

If you want to go primitive, then you should go primitive.
    Muzzle loader flintlock or percussion rifle, pistol, shotgun, loose powder, no pellets, no scope .

That was the original intent of the primitive weapon season. They should break up the season for "primitive and modern primitive"
    I'd prefer to see an oil lamp lit open pan blunderbuss only primitive season with hand blended powder running rough lead shot. Flintlock and modern propellants yields an unfair advantage.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Either my 1888 Springfield. 45-70, or my No.5 Remington Rolling Block in 7x57 Mauser. Either one will get the job done and I feel they are in keeping with the "Primitive Arms" title.

715.jpg

smof7173.jpg

Al

Bill1025

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Covington
    I am a small frame male and considering a primitive rifle for early deer season in Louisiana. Is the recoil in a .35 Whelen less than a .45-70?

Would both perform well for shots out to 200 yards?

What would be the best bullet weight that is readily available for the lowest recoil/best performance (as I do not reload.)?

Thanks for your input.

sethtvaughn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2019
    Louisiana
    I am a small frame male and considering a primitive rifle for early deer season in Louisiana. Is the recoil in a .35 Whelen less than a .45-70?

What would be the best bullet weight that is readily available for the lowest recoil/best performance (as I do not reload.)?

Thanks for your input.

I’m also a pretty small guy and I do not think the .35 Whelen is too much recoil, especially if you get the stainless CVA Scout with the muzzle brake. I shoot a 200 gr round and it does well. Both .35 and .45-70 will be fine at 200, but you’ll want to practice at that distance to understand the drop and how the gun and yourself can perform.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Either my 1888 Springfield. 45-70, or my No.5 Remington Rolling Block in 7x57 Mauser. Either one will get the job done and I feel they are in keeping with the "Primitive Arms" title.

View attachment 170358

View attachment 170359

Al
    Really nice rifles you got there. But Primitive weapons only allow for .35caliber or larger.
    Rules out that rolling block

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

Thanks for your input.
    It will all depend on the rifle you decide to purchase. i've shot 35whelen, 444 and 4570 rifles and the rifle makes or breaks it on all of those rounds. my dad has a 45-70 handi rifle that is plenty managable. a hunting buddy has the exact handi rifle and there is a considerable difference in felt recoil between the 2 of them with the buddies kicking harder. i experienced the same thing with my 444 handi, after shooting a friends wood stock 444 i opted to go with one. when i got mine the felt recoil was significantly harder, shooting the same exact bullets. actually from the same box because i left mine at home when we went to site it in. i shot anothef friends 35 rossi and it was unbearable. we never did get it much past just close when sighting it in. i recently picked up a scout with break and have not shot it but i've been told they are pretty good at managing recoil.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Really nice rifles you got there. But Primitive weapons only allow for .35caliber or larger.
    Rules out that rolling block
    Yeah, I thought about that after I posted but decided to leave it.
    I do wish they would add "original single shot bolt actions made prior to 1900". Then I could use my 11mm French Gras rifles too. I also have several original repeaters all made from 1870s-80s.

Al

Last edited:

FXDWG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2015
    Covington, LA
    What are y'all using for the primitive for season? I've got access to a small spot up in Monroe, no shots longer than 100 yards.
    Did someone say "primitive?"
    This is my deer rifle.
    Built this .50 flintlock rifle from a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading kit many years ago.
    Shot it in monthly competitions and hunted with it many times. Got to where I could even shoot it in the rain.
    IMG_5907.JPG

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have a 350L and its been great the last 2 seasons. 3 deer and none of them went more than 20 yards. Its great to about 150 yards but would not take a shot further than that. Very low recoil as compared to the .35 Whelen I owned which kicked like a mule.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom