Primitive Weapon Success

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I wanted to share some photos and info on my successful primitive weapon hunt in Natchitoches Parish this past week. I use a T/C Contender Carbine chambered in 35 Remington. The load is a Hornady 180 SSP atop a charge of H4895. Opening day I passed up a shot on a spike that looked to weigh about 90 pounds......just too early in the season in my opinion. It turns out it was a good decision. Back on the same stand that afternoon, out stepped this............

18.5" outside spread----5" G1's and 6" G2's----------180 pound live weight

The shot was at about 100 yards and the deer ran maybe 90 yards before collapsing. The shot was broadside and took out both lungs.

As the week progressed, I passed up several other shots at does and small bucks. Then Thursday afternoon I hunted a new stand for the first time overlooking a food plot. At 5:00 PM out stepped a medium size doe. She was alone with no fawns and I started to consider filling another tag. She was at about 150 yards and feeding towards me so I watched her for a while as I further considered taking the shot. after about three minutes, out steps another nice buck. I quickly decided the doe could continue on and took the shot at the buck at 125 yards. Boom. flop.

15.25" outside spread------6" G2's------------175 pound live weight

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That first one is nice!

Just curious though, and I am not being judgmental in any way because I know there are some reasons; why would you want to shoot the clearly lesser one after that first one?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    That first one is nice!

Just curious though, and I am not being judgmental in any way because I know there are some reasons; why would you want to shoot the clearly lesser one after that first one?

The first one was a very unusual example for the area we hunt. This is the largest rack I have killed to date on this lease. The second one is more like what we would consider a large deer. Also to be considered is that with the small acreage we control, you can't expect to hold and manage deer on the property. If I let one walk and it strays from our lease someone else will shoot it.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The first one was a very unusual example for the area we hunt. This is the largest rack I have killed to date on this lease. The second one is more like what we would consider a large deer. Also to be considered is that with the small acreage we control, you can't expect to hold and manage deer on the property. If I let one walk and it strays from our lease someone else will shoot it.

I kind of figured that was going to be your response. It's too bad so many hunters still have that brown goes down mentality. If more people could come to grasps with letting the young bucks grow up we here in Louisiana would be surprised how quickly the bucks would get nicer.

Your issue is shared with a lot of leases. And the worse is, you really can't trust your neighbor(s). You could be letting nice deer walk all day, and have your neighbors whacking them on their side of the fence while telling you they aren't to your face.

Oh well! Nice duo of bucks nonetheless. That's a good hunt.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I kind of figured that was going to be your response. It's too bad so many hunters still have that brown goes down mentality. If more people could come to grasps with letting the young bucks grow up we here in Louisiana would be surprised how quickly the bucks would get nicer.

Your issue is shared with a lot of leases. And the worse is, you really can't trust your neighbor(s). You could be letting nice deer walk all day, and have your neighbors whacking them on their side of the fence while telling you they aren't to your face.

Oh well! Nice duo of bucks nonetheless. That's a good hunt.
    OP. Nice bucks!! A little patience does payoff.

Same mentality on a lease I am on in Ms. And you are correct, it is a real shame. We picked up an additional 200+ acres this year. Rumor has it that ONE older gentleman hunted it for the last 8 years and managed it properly. We have several pictures of some NICE bucks. a couple 10's and several quality 8's. What are these DUMB A**es talking about doing. Shooting 6 point or better.... WHY?!?! I just can't fathom the thought process.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Well I'm jealous... I'll admit it!

No matter where I've hunted, least, private, or public land, I don't see bucks like this!

Congratulations on filling your tags with such nice bucks! And for all the $h!t you can talk at the camp now!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    OP. Nice bucks!! A little patience does payoff.

Same mentality on a lease I am on in Ms. And you are correct, it is a real shame. We picked up an additional 200+ acres this year. Rumor has it that ONE older gentleman hunted it for the last 8 years and managed it properly. We have several pictures of some NICE bucks. a couple 10's and several quality 8's. What are these DUMB A**es talking about doing. Shooting 6 point or better.... WHY?!?! I just can't fathom the thought process.

The mentality is greed, mostly! But there is also the lack of education and the ever present "old way" of doing things. Then there is the lack of discipline and hunting skills which breeds impatience.

Not a single person that understands deer biology will ever agree that shooting younger bucks will do anything but keep you from shooting big bucks! The only alternative is when bucks won't have the genetics (along with a nutritious food source), to have great racks. The number of people that can look at a young buck and accurately determine whether it should be culled or not is minute at best. And you need to get them to at least 2 1/2 years old before you can even start to tell.

By 3 1/2 years a good buck will look like a stud to most people; but that animal won't even be in his prime till at least 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 years.

I see nothing wrong with a young kid shooting a spike or small racked deer if it is their first; but at that point the elders have to start teaching that kid discipline. I guess it should be said that deer hunting has come along way since the days of morons killing everything they see; but if you are in a club where the mentality is a race to see who shoots the first buck regardless, you need to get out of it.

And BTW, those idiots that think if you don't shoot does you will have more bucks are even worse!

Top Bottom