Private Handgun Sales Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So... I have several firearms and I'm completely legal to own firearms, etc. In other words, no felonies or anything that would prevent ownership. However, like many of us, I'd prefer for the fed not to have a complete list of every single firearm I own. So I was thinking a private sale was the option for my next purchase. But I keep seeing things about meeting at an FFL to complete a purchase face to face for a handgun. I have absolutely no issue with providing my Louisiana DL and doing a bill of sale etc but I'd prefer to keep all the "government" paperwork out of it, if possible. The way I understood the law, a private purchase requires nothing but a LA DL and bill of sale but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.....? Just looking for a little guidance. Thanks!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    So... I have several firearms and I'm completely legal to own firearms, etc. In other words, no felonies or anything that would prevent ownership. However, like many of us, I'd prefer for the fed not to have a complete list of every single firearm I own. So I was thinking a private sale was the option for my next purchase. But I keep seeing things about meeting at an FFL to complete a purchase face to face for a handgun. I have absolutely no issue with providing my Louisiana DL and doing a bill of sale etc but I'd prefer to keep all the "government" paperwork out of it, if possible. The way I understood the law, a private purchase requires nothing but a LA DL and bill of sale but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.....? Just looking for a little guidance. Thanks!
    A private sale requires nothing but an agreement and an exchange. Some people just like to complicate things to make themselves feel better.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Nothing is required but nothing is forbidden. That means it's whatever the two parties agree to. Some people have no issues selling to whoever has money. Other people prefer to "scare" away prohibited people by requiring the buyer identify themselves. At minimum, a bill of sale should have two names, 2 dl or id numbers, 2 signatures, and a description with a serial number. Now it seems that copying numbers is too complicated for some people but a simple bill of sale is really simple.

The meeting location is another thing. There was recently someone on here who met a potential buyer in the parking lot of a retail store and the potential buyer drove off with the weapon without paying for it. There were a couple of issues with that exchange. The first is the location. The meeting could (should?) have been set up for the parking lot of a police or sheriff station. A lot of them have a space set aside for things like that. A FFL is likely to have cameras so people may want to meet there. Either one of those locations would have likely deterred the thief from stealing the firearm.

But even if the meeting is set for the parking lot of a retail store, one way to help keep someone else honest is to get their id or write down their dl number before handing over the weapon. If the victim had gotten their id first, they may not have become a victim.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    You have all these firearms, and dont know this already?

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    It’s not that hard to document and has advantages. Forms are all over the www.

Bill of sale protects the buyer in the event somehow your gun makes it into LEO hands and is determined to have been used in a crime at some point prior to purchase date.

Protects the seller if the weapon is found at the scene of a crime and LEO runs the serial number to find original owner….if seller bought new….or prior sellers kept BoS.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I’ve always done a BOS and took a pic of the seller/buyer DL. If they are not comfortable with doing that then I usually pass. Then it will go into a file with my records. No need for an FFL in my opinion.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I don't care about a BOS either way - take them or leave them. This is the only place through which I buy/sell. I don't buy/sell to/from brand new folks. I likely have a far smaller footprint here than anyone that I have bought from and certainly from the couple to whom I have sold.

By the time I buy or sell, there is a trail of PM's and texts that I could show an LEO organization if I had to. If you are afraid to text, you don't pass the smell test. A BOS wouldn't hurt, but documentation exists.

What I do 100% is ask to see a license when I sell and I strongly prefer a CCP. I also am happy to show you mine. And if anything feels wrong, I will disappear like the roadrunner. The worse that happens is that I'm wrong and get bad feedback and I can live with that.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    In Louisiana, no documentation or ID is required for a La. resident to buy, sell, or trade other wise legally owned firearms to other La. residents as long as the seller has no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person.

"Are you a La. Resident?" If yes then "Are you legally allowed to posses this firearm?" If yes, then legal for seller to proceed with transaction. No ID, no paper work, no DNA samples required.

Nope, I am not a lawyer and this is simply another internet opinion. Much like others expressed on BS.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I like to see a driver's license to make sure it is an in-state transaction--if bill
    of sale is requested that's OK---If I'm the buyer I then get a bill of sale in case
    I resell---otherwise state D/l, cash and carry unless something else says no sale.
    Like my gut feeling telling me something isn't right. This has happened to me
    three times over the years as I recall.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You have all these firearms, and dont know this already?
    Never claimed to have an arsenal or to be an expert. I've never done a private sale before. I have a couple 9 mm's bought at gun stores, I have a shotgun bought from a gun store and an SKS bought at a gun show from an FFL. All this was done when I used to live in Arkansas though so just wanted to be clear on the rules now that I'm back in my home state. Grew up just outside Baton Rouge so hoping I'll find something pretty close.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't care about a BOS either way - take them or leave them. This is the only place through which I buy/sell. I don't buy/sell to/from brand new folks. I likely have a far smaller footprint here than anyone that I have bought from and certainly from the couple to whom I have sold.

By the time I buy or sell, there is a trail of PM's and texts that I could show an LEO organization if I had to. If you are afraid to text, you don't pass the smell test. A BOS wouldn't hurt, but documentation exists.

What I do 100% is ask to see a license when I sell and I strongly prefer a CCP. I also am happy to show you mine. And if anything feels wrong, I will disappear like the roadrunner. The worse that happens is that I'm wrong and get bad feedback and I can live with that.
    I totally get it. If I were the seller I'd wanna cover my a$$ too.

CCP is the other request I saw in a few ads. That'll eliminate me from those bc I don't intend to get one. Maybe we'll get constitutional carry here one day like the other sensible states.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Typical AFT infringement. Make more rules, create more grey areas to be interpreted by the AFT as they wish when they wish.

I have privately sold and bought through a FFL choice few times when using or selling out of state. I see no reason to over complicate a private sale and would refuse to go through a FFL if it’s not necessary.
    The AFT scrutinizes every purchase they know about. If you buy one from a private citizen using a FFL and then go the same day and buy one from Academy, you’re suddenly on the multiple purchase list. See how that works?

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I've bought a few guns from people here. Some want a bill of sale, drivers license etc. One wanted an actual 4473 through his FFL. Whatever makes them feel good. IMO a sale through here wont affect me one way or the other. I'd just buy new through an FFL dealer if it bothered me.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've bought a few guns from people here. Some want a bill of sale, drivers license etc. One wanted an actual 4473 through his FFL. Whatever makes them feel good. IMO a sale through here wont affect me one way or the other. I'd just buy new through an FFL dealer if it bothered me.
    My issue is I follow world events very closely, nearly obsessively, and I'd bet everything I have that we have some grim days coming to the US. The less Uncle Sam knows about us and our possessions, the better. It definitely is not 1776 any more.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    You should meet them in front of the BATFE office at the Galleria and ask for LADL, CDL, VA card, library card, Restricted Radiotelephone Operations Permit(had one as a teen), Pilots License, SAG card, B97 FM SuperCard, NRA card, Red Cross First Aid card, KISS ARMY ID, BLOCKBUSTER card, OCP ID, CCP, and a note from your Mother.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You should meet them in front of the BATFE office at the Galleria and ask for LADL, CDL, VA card, library card, Restricted Radiotelephone Operations Permit(had one as a teen), Pilots License, SAG card, B97 FM SuperCard, NRA card, Red Cross First Aid card, KISS ARMY ID, BLOCKBUSTER card, OCP ID, CCP, and a note from your Mother.
    Lmao, ain't no way they getting my blockbuster card

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Private purchase has no requirements aside from both parties being a resident of Louisiana and not being felons.

Some will choose a bill of sale, but it's not required.

Top Bottom