Pro-Gun: Why Are People Reluctant to Say They Own a Gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RussnAttitude

always learning
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    1. Because what I own is nobody else's business.
    2. Because I don't want/need the wrong people targeting home for invasion/burglary
    3. Because I like having the element of surprise in my favor if someone is actually stupid enough to break into my home

Jstudz220

Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m not reluctant to tell anyone I own a gun. This is America and if I hurt someone’s feelings i really don’t give a squat. I like to think of myself as a 2A ambassador of sorts. I’ve had many level headed conversations with anti gun people that I can honestly say got through to the other person.

Griz375

Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    1. Because what I own is nobody else's business.
    2. Because I don't want/need the wrong people targeting home for invasion/burglary
    3. Because I like having the element of surprise in my favor if someone is actually stupid enough to break into my home
    Pretty much on the same page particularly about Item 2.

You just never know who'll say what and who else might be listening.

Otherwise, what we own, or don't, falls into the 'nunya' category.

Evil Zim

Jan 30, 2010
    If asked by someone I know, sure. Otherwise, I echo the earlier comments. Same reason I don’t wear gun- themed t-shirts ( also known as the “ shoot me first shirt”) or put gun- themed stickers on my vehicle.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    If asked by someone I know, sure. Otherwise, I echo the earlier comments. Same reason I don’t wear gun- themed t-shirts ( also known as the “ shoot me first shirt”) or put gun- themed stickers on my vehicle.
    Stickers are on my no-go list.
    I have no interest in sharing my personal information with strangers. This includes firearm ownership.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's because in most cases, there's no upside to saying you own a weapon, only a down side. I believe saying it would include, as has been mentioned, stickers and shirts. If you are telling someone you own a weapon, it's probably part of a poll or part of a conversation. The poll is a hard no. If it's part of a conversation, there's very little gained on your part by the other guy having the knowledge that you own a weapon. The only positive, and it's a false positive, is the belief that saying you own a weapon will convince the other person you are an expert in the matter.

Bonehead88

Jul 23, 2023
    Iberia Parish
    It's an American tradition and should be celebrated that way, south Louisiana does need to up its game in the 2A industry. It's happening though, been noticing alot more men and women carry than I use to see.

Core

Salt
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I always tell people I'm pro gun and a constitutionalist. I frequently mock statists and their poopoo bootlicking. I feel obligated because it's important for the younger generations to see that its normal for free citizens to be armed. They need to know how to safely handle firearms, so this is an area I volunteer with my state. The best thing we can do is arm law abiding citizens. It's exciting to see new gun owners purchase a shotgun and lock it up, and start to explore different guns and shooting sports and engage in various game hunting.

There's definitely a valid reason to not discuss the guns you own. That's personal privacy: just as you don't discuss your finances and count cash in public. 98% of criminals will avoid a house with an NRA or Beware of Dog sign. I have personally discussed this with several criminals, and they verified this in their own observations in selecting a home to target for theft.

Being unapologetic about gun ownership and government overstepping is critical. Tyrants in the government cannot steal our freedoms if the majority does not comply. We are seeing police and sheriffs across the nation speaking up and refusing to comply and enforce tyrannical laws. Sadly the current admin has infiltrated the top ranks of the DOJ and I believe has degraded citizens trust in the DOJ to the point we will push until the DOJ is scrutinized under a microscope and these political agents within are removed and prosecuted. We have to demand a hard hand in dealing with this political corruption regardless to which side if the aisle is abusing the DOJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    squidnutz06
    Top Bottom