Proof of ownership

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I said it before , and I'll say it again . I was told in a concealed carry permit class that it was a good idea to carry proof of ownership of your firearm , for the very reasons Steve outlined above . The instructors were Bobby Font and Frank Washington , and they were Baton Rouge City Police Officers at that time . We can all thump our chests and say that they can't do this or that , but the reality is the they can , and they have . And when they do , it will cost a lot of money to prove that you were right .

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I own my gun because I say I do. If any one wants it they can try to come and get it.
    Seriously make a list of all the guns you have record serial numbers etc. Take photo's. Keep it locked away safe and a copy at another location some where safe. If they are stolen you can prove that you had it in your posession.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I love when people talk tough. Especially about what they will do while in the presence of LE...JR1572

Indeed. When will they learn that it is hopeless to contend with the Stasi....er....Law Enforcement Agencies. What fools those silly Founders were.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm not so sure I missed his point.

However, as to your point, I am quite sure that there are a huge number of freedom loving leo's who will "decide" correctly (depending on one's point of view). Particularly the old timers who remember what liberty used to mean. I have earnestly sought my own truth regarding the moment of "decision." I quite frankly can't say what I will do. I hope, the right thing to honor our heritage and the sacrifice of an untold number of better men than I, and the debt I owe to those that follow who also deserve "the blessings of Liberty."

I'm an old curmudgeon, too. There is much more behind me than ahead of me. I hope that will nudge me to the correct path. I dread the day that a grandchild will look me in the eye and ask "what were you doing when they stole freedom?"

These are things that should be considered soberly, before pucker time stares one in the face. My greatest internal debate was the morality of "acting" when some hapless (perhaps) minion makes that knock on my door. He's just a regular guy like me.....loves his family.....worries about the bills.....etc. Just doing his job. "I vas just following orders." I realized that issue has been decided for me by far more learned men than me at a place called Nuremburg, and since then at The Hague. Just as ignorance of the law is not a valid defense for me, ignorance of tyranny is not a valid defense for him. I will accept no blame for making the presumption that an individual vested by the state with the full power of the state is an adult, reasoning, morally aware being, fully responsible for his actions. If not, he should be, and his blood is on his own hands.

I have enjoyed studying your posts of the last several weeks. Perhaps because you are sparing in your comments, but I find that I have not fully appreciated the level of your commitment to some values it seems that we share. My error.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    When the powers that be issue orders to ignore the Constitution and begin confiscating guns. Each man will face the "Decision." On the LEO side, to obey or not. On the citizen side, to submit or resist.

We should also include military personnel on the LEO side, since Posse Comitatus will likewise be irrelevant.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You two scare me! Not for your words; but for the mental image both provoke of the inevitable unknown! See, I too, struggle with this pause of reality; and question anyone's ability to stand and fight on what I believe is the true judgment day that may befall our present existence.

We can sell and trade guns. Laugh and joke at funny things. ******** each other on topics we know or not. But we must realize the day may come where we may disagree(with someone), with such disdain and reason that we are willing to kill to prove it.

When someone comes calling; Are we prepared to make such a commitment?

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    How do I prove I own a firearm if I have lost the bill of sale?
    What can I do to have proof of ownership?

Contact the dealer, they keep firearm records.
    Back in my LE days (1972-2005), we recovered firearms during the process of armed robbery/burglary, drug and shooting (homicide) investigations. A check of the firearm's serial number was ran throught NCIC. If the firearm did not come back stolen, and we suspected it was stolen, a "firearm's trace" was done through ATF. ATF would supply data from the firearm manufacture, dealer to the person buying the firearm. Many times people would report a firearm stolen and did not have the serial number. With the ATF info, we were able to return firearms to the owners, but they had to provide a police report, reporting the firearm stolen.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    You'll need a Plan B. One ALWAYS needs a Plan B, regardless of the situation.

Ever read Lao Tzu? Lots of good ideas for an old, dead chink. ;).

I tried "Confessions of a Taoist on Wall Street" once; couldn't get past chap. 1. You know Lao Tzu means "old man" in one of the Chinese dialects. I've seen arguments that the Tao is a collection of writings versus the work of one person.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom