Proper handgun lubrication

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I did a search on "handgun lubrication" and came up with nada , so here is my question, which I am sure has been asked and answered many times before:

What is the best lube to use on a handgun (specifically semi-auto) for Louisiana weather conditions, oil , grease or both? Does it matter if the weapon is metal or polymer?

Inquiring minds want to know.

This would probably be a good topic for a sticky

TIA

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Prepare for about 1000 different responses. :mamoru:

Personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil or MPro7 lubricant with good results. However, what you use isn't nearly as important as simply keeping it lubed. I've tried lots of different products, and none were magical.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    No one can tell you absolutely what is best unless they have throughly tested everything available and there are many excellent products for lubrication.
    I use Weapon Shield CLP for cleaning and Mobil 1 20W50 for lubrication on my pistols and it works great. I only use new factory ammunition.
    People that shoot reloads may need a different bore cleaner such as Hoppe's #9, Iosso, Blue Wonder, Butch's, etc. but you asked about a good lubricant.
    Weapon Shield, Hoppe's Elite and Breakfree are three good CLP's.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I will always use CLP. It works very well in broad range of enviorments and army has spent gobs of money in research recently for better lube. They stayed with CLP. There was a nice artical about it in PS magazine. I just wish I could get the smell off my hands alittle easier.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    The Mobil 1 and the dextron atf works real well...I took some good advice,mixed up a batch,lubed up my 1911's and took them to run a few rounds through them......they seem to shoot smoother than usual!!!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    On my AR I use Slip200 EWL.

IDK how good it would be for a handgun though

Well.

I have come to believe that there's a wide range of products that are close enough to each other in performance where asking "which one is best" is pretty pointless.

I'm also a firm believer that every particular type/model of firearm has its own set of "recommended lubes", and each owner (depending on the type, level and frequency of use) brings still further requirements into the equation. What's good for Joe on his super-tight custom 1911 that he shoots 100 rounds through every month, may not be the best choice for Bob's G17 that he feeds 1k rounds a week.

Personally, I'm a big fan of grease (when applied properly) on the guns that I shoot a lot. It doesn't fling, puddle or burn off, and when you get it on there thin enough, stays slicker than snot and doesn't accumulate any more fouling than oil would. I have discovered on weapons that are left unfired for long periods (3+ months), it does dry up some-- although it doesn't "gum up", and actually seems to disappear instead. The same can be said for some oils, but I'm guessing there are products out there that overcome this. I just tend to swab the barrel with oil and grease everything else as if I would use it the next day, and then check everything before heading to the range to make sure it's still slippery.

You typically don't want to mix solvents, as it can create unwanted chemical reactions. And I've seen streaking/etched bores as a result of this! I've heard "don't mix lubes" as well, but never seen any evidence of adverse effects. At the very least however, it's not necessary to overlap them-- although I think one could probably make a pretty good case to use oil on one part, and grease on another. If I get bored one day, I might experiment with some of these principles-- but I'd rather just go shooting!

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I recommend a grease ( I like Rigg). Or 3 in 1 machine oil. You can pay more. It won't work any better in my opinon. I know I bought all the expensive stuff. Turns out with all other things being equal proper fitting and polishing of the two surfaces have a lot more to do with improving function and trigger feel than an expensive miracle product. i.e. You got to keep a gun lubricated, yes. But spend a fortune, no.

Dave

Last edited:
    Top Bottom