Proper handgun lubrication

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    My grandpa used 3in1 on all his guns and I despise of that stuff. It will leave a paraffin varnish behind, you would be surprised how thick it will build up over the years.

For 95% of my guns I use Break Free CLP to lube and protect. I apply a very thin layer of gun grease to the contact points on the slide rails on my polymer pistols.

Every few weeks I will strip down my carry piece and hose all the metal parts down with Royal Purple MAXFILM and let it soak over night. The next day I wipe it down and reassemble. It does a great job protecting the blued slide.

Yg1lH2CIYDSonWkmA9n0lA2EHohnZwfRC-GoNc96O5izS1yKJ0xs9_cEFEDixlZzYvVtCf63dh6XGAEEfyalT1cTIn3atq2eXBnMj7JUCzPQVVaZpf2bsEnJQjmLSCreSONxgeIrv_ty1iecOi849QXbNpAMNSgN76aFpO5CuIksgyHr

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I've been using this grease less spray... It's actually a lubricant and cleaner. It's called safari charlie gun lube, have any of you used it yet? it has some pretty good reviews:
    http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubricant/Safari-Charlie-Gun-Lube.html
    Just pointing out a good spray alternative in case you are interested.

For those who have used it, let me know what you think!

Safari Charlie seems very similar to EEZOX, another non-petroleum cleaner/lubricant/rust inhibitor. EEZOX used in conjunction with Mobil 1 or Balistol have become my choice for maintenance. YMMV

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Im partial to Rem oil and High temp plumbers grease. But Ive used the Slip 2000 before with great results. Curious about some of the new lubes out like the Safari Charlie and Guates Frog lube. (made from real frogs?)

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    WD-40 is a solvent not a lubricant. (contrary to popular belief)
    Sorry , but according to their own website , it is also a lubricant .

What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
    1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
    2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
    4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
    5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

Last edited:

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Wipe down gun
    CLP to clean
    91% rubbing alcohol to degrease (dries really fast)
    Break Free with Q-tip on rails
    2 drops Break Free on back of slide - place barrel end down to let oil run down slide
    TW25B on slide and rails - I put "too much" always.
    Rack slide a few times to disperse grease - gun will hold what it needs
    Wipe off excess grease
    Any internals (not trigger mechanism) get the grease - extra on shiny surfaces.

Sig P226 .40 & .22 conversion kit.

Note: IMHO, I only use WD-40 to loosen rusted items. I have heard many shooters and a few gun smiths that say never use WD-40 on a firearm.

Also use WD-40 to kill roaches at night on my patio - cheaper than wasp spray

Top Bottom