Proposed 100 acres in Watson to be used for Gov. housing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Awesome turnout! Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully this thing is dead... but I fear that may not be the case.
    Evil never dies, so we must remain vigilant, and squash all efforts to perpetuate this crap. Supposedly tomorrow the feds will "award" this POS grant to someone. If it turns out to be Livingston, then the temptation will still be there, though EVERY local politician now knows what's in store for them if they support this crap, thanks to last night's meeting.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I would bet the morning crew at WJBO would talk about it...
    Nick,

Thank you so much for thinking of WJBO. I emailed them shortly after your post, but didn't hear back. Then, this morning, Matt Kennedy emailed me, asking if I wanted to be on his show! I deferred to Gene Baker, the unofficial leader of our Neighbors in Action group.

Gene got on the air with Matt at 8AM, and this HUD ******** was the hot topic on their entire morning show! Best of all, this was the exact time thousands of Livingston residents were listening while on their way to work.

Thanks again for a great suggestion. It exponentially increased the number of people who now know about this.

And let me extend a huge THANK YOU also to jetmech1983, LouisianaRebel, and EVERYONE who helped get the word out about this. Quite honestly, it wasn't for this thread, which is only ONE WEEK OLD, I may never have known about this.

Well done, everyone! :bravo:

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    I wonder when the petty local politicians, and nationwide for that matter, will realize that free money from the government is not free.

Nothing good ever comes of it. Their grants with our tax money is just a from of wealth redistribution to buy votes. Hopefully our representatives in Washington can stop this project. Until somebody cuts the money off, these things will continue to pop up. Look at the school system, all they talk about is how much money can we get from the Feds. And the strings attached have strangled a once great education system. With all of it comes controls. They want it all.

We all need to be at the next council meeting...all of us. How about 800 folks showing up at the next one. And nail some hides to the wall.

Do you think the McCoy recall petition would have better luck now? Why wait until the elections, lots of damage can be done before then.
    The sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I wonder when the petty local politicians, and nationwide for that matter, will realize that free money from the government is not free.

Nothing good ever comes of it. Their grants with our tax money is just a from of wealth redistribution to buy votes. Hopefully our representatives in Washington can stop this project. Until somebody cuts the money off, these things will continue to pop up. Look at the school system, all they talk about is how much money can we get from the Feds. And the strings attached have strangled a once great education system. With all of it comes controls. They want it all.

We all need to be at the next council meeting...all of us. How about 800 folks showing up at the next one. And nail some hides to the wall.

Do you think the McCoy recall petition would have better luck now? Why wait until the elections, lots of damage can be done before then.
    The sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.

Yep that would make a statement. That would be a lot of folks for a coucil meeting.

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    We just had a copter circling the end of Fore road in increasing diameter, looks like aerial photography to me.....I guess that's our cue that Washington approved the request and we should know soon anyhow. Left heading NW towards the other end at Rt 16...joy.

Today was the day it was to be presented to the vultures for approval.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    We just had a copter circling the end of Fore road in increasing diameter, looks like aerial photography to me.....I guess that's our cue that Washington approved the request and we should know soon anyhow. Left heading NW towards the other end at Rt 16...joy.

Today was the day it was to be presented to the vultures for approval.
    Supposedly today is the day the feds announce the "winners" of the grant. I haven't heard anything thus far.

Keep in mind that even if we "win", the council must agree to accept it. And supposedly this initial "win" would only be for $3 million to "study" the project. We were told that NONE of the money or phases of the project can proceed with the approval of the council. After Monday's meeting, they see the hell they'll face if they approve ANY part of this crap.

Hopefully the feds gave all of the grant monies to Kalifornia. Or better yet, canceled the whole thing and saved those millions!

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    Taken from another forum:

Councilwoman Cindy Wale has placed on the agenda for the council meeting on September 23rd an item to rescind the resolution supporting the grant for the Hud housing development in Watson. Cindy Wale was misled when the council voted to support the grant and she wants to right a wrong. When Jimmie McCoy placed this item on the agenda back on August 12, 2010 it stated "Grant Request - J McCoy" and he did not volunteer any information about it being for Housing. It will be interesting to see how Jimmie votes when Cindy makes the motion to rescind the resolution.

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    That ROCKS! Cindy Wale was, I believe, one of the 2 council members present at the meeting the other night, and saw the intense opposition firsthand. I believe that Mr. Watson was the other, and supposedly he too is against this project.

Where'd you see that online?

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Supposedly today is the day the feds announce the "winners" of the grant. I haven't heard anything thus far.

Keep in mind that even if we "win", the council must agree to accept it. And supposedly this initial "win" would only be for $3 million to "study" the project. We were told that NONE of the money or phases of the project can proceed with the approval of the council. After Monday's meeting, they see the hell they'll face if they approve ANY part of this crap.

Hopefully the feds gave all of the grant monies to Kalifornia. Or better yet, canceled the whole thing and saved those millions!

Amen to just getting rid of the whole dang thing. Anyone hear anything else?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    They could do the study and make sure the results come out 'Hell No!'. A properly designed study could be beneficial. Use the grant money to buy up that land and make sure it stays in local hands. Maybe a public park? Make tracking park use part of the study?
    Also, to prevent these things from happening again I'd suggest a new tax on people who haven't or won't have their primary residence within 40 miles of the property in question... or at least in LA? Maybe 50% of the adjusted profit made on the land?

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    They could do the study and make sure the results come out 'Hell No!'. A properly designed study could be beneficial. Use the grant money to buy up that land and make sure it stays in local hands. Maybe a public park? Make tracking park use part of the study?
    Unfortunately, these are federal monies from the 0sama Porkulus bill. No way would the feds allow these to be used for ANYTHING other than "the good of the (unemployed and non-taxpaying) people." Even the planning phase of this must be stopped, otherwise their foot will be in the door, and further encroachments would be harder to stop.

Politicians must learn to DEFEAT THEIR ENEMIES AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Situations like this are what started the tea party. Greg - I just saw on the news where a couple brought 68 cents to a house closing. That was their total cost to buy a house out of pocket. Fannie and Freddie are back in the high risk lending business with our money. The federal goverment just doesn't get it. I say we throw the whole bunch of these tone deaf idiots out. :mad::(

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom