Pros and cons of a 1911 for a 1911 noob?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    clank, clunk,clank,clunk,clank, clunk,clank,clunk,

Reloading... yet another aspect of the shooting sports to love!
    No , no . no . You're supposed to post about how many empty cases you have and the thousands of primers , and enough powder to last a lifetime . If you're going to crap in a thread at least do it right . :eek3:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    No , no . no . You're supposed to post about how many empty cases you have and the thousands of primers , and enough powder to last a lifetime . If you're going to crap in a thread at least do it right . :eek3:
    I will help you out!!! lol I have so many primers and brass and powder stored up whenever I reload I actually make money it doesn’t cost me nothing!! It’ll probably last me three generations.. I think I’m up to 14 -5 gallon buckets of brass, cleaned and ready to go… if you’re not anywhere near that, I doubt you were prepared or any kind of shooter at all…

Does that sound about right? :dogkeke:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I will help you out!!! lol I have so many primers and brass and powder stored up whenever I reload I actually make money it doesn’t cost me nothing!! It’ll probably last me three generations.. I think I’m up to 14 -5 gallon buckets of brass, cleaned and ready to go… if you’re not anywhere near that, I doubt you were prepared or any kind of shooter at all…

Does that sound about right? :dogkeke:
    Not too shabby ..

Roadhog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Mickleville, Louisiana
    Pros. 45acp knock down power. Easy to take down and clean. The heft , the feel. Compact or Commander models easy to conceal. Ammo easy to find.

Cons. Ammo capacity , heavy,

I would recommend everyone have at least one 1911. So many brands and choices. Kimber’s are very nice shooters but a pain to take down. Ruger makes a very nice Colt copy for about half the price. Buy a good quality handgun. Do your research. Don’t go cheap.

Sentinel_Go

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    My two cents: pros, it's a 1911, it's a great round .45 or 9, it feels amazing, you'll be a man for owning one. Cons, can be too heavy to carry for some (I carried an m45a1 on deployment), recoil if you're not fluent on how to manage, and I always found takedown and cleaning to be annoying. That being said, I own 3 and will always have them.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I currently own two 1911 models, had prob 6 total all of my life. Depends entirely upon your end purpose. A well tuned 1911 is a sweet shooter, my remaining 2 are range toys at this point in my life. Think about this, if your intent is a self defense weapon, for home or office or CC, how many LE do you see carrying .45 acp 1911s today? Even our military has abandoned the 45 acp round in their handguns. (some SPEC OPS have not)

Projectile improvements and refinement in terminal performance has changed the landscape in handguns. You can choose a 9mm Luger defensive round which will reliably expand in flesh to .45" or more. And do quite bit of damage too. Why carry 8 rounds of 45 acp when you can carry 16 or 18 rounds of 9mm Luger? Shoot, some of the full size FN pistols carry 20 rounds, a single mag. Its a no brainer really. But everybody has a choice, and an opinion.

Or 12 rounds of .40 S&W. I still like and carry a 40. Sort of the middle ground. Much more velocity than 45 acp.

Oh and lets add that if it is primarily for the range, you can purchase 9mm FMJ for about 28 cents a round when purchasing a 1000 round case shipped to your door. 45 acp FMJ more like 45 cents per round or more delivered.

Last edited:

Kevin C

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Metairie Louisiana
    I figure pretty much everybody here knows more than I do about handguns. I've only owned a cheap Hi Point 9 and a Glock 9.

But something about a 1911 is attractive to me. I've literally never even held one.

What would you say are the good and bad points or if it's even advisable to buy one?

Thanks
    I only have one 1911, it’s a commander sized Springfield emissary in 9mm. I think the 1911 is a great gun. My 9mm is extremely flat shooting because of the weight of the gun and low recoil of 9mm. 1911’s typically don’t hold many rounds mine only holding 9 +1 that being more than your traditional 45because of the single stack magazines however you can opt for a 2011 which is basically a double stack 1911.
    Everyone here mentions recoil on it which again I might be the outlier again but the recoil of my 1911 is easier on me than the recoil of my M&P 9mm. Probably more of a pistol weight thing but the 1911 is more of a gentle shove where the 9mm feels more snappy to me.

I don't shoot my 1911 as much as my M&P but I like it and it has a place in my safe. Bonus is that the 45ACP shotshells also run well in it and it does the snakes really well with the bigger pellet size.
    I figure pretty much everybody here knows more than I do about handguns. I've only owned a cheap Hi Point 9 and a Glock 9.

But something about a 1911 is attractive to me. I've literally never even held one.

What would you say are the good and bad points or if it's even advisable to buy one?

Thanks

Thanks
    So I only have one 1911 and I love it. It’s a gun I can really appreciate. Mine is a commander sized Springfield emissary in 9mm. I opted for 9mm because 1911’s typically don’t hold many rounds and switching to 9mm gave me a couple more shots as well as the 1911 being a heavy gun and the 9mm having minimal recoil makes a 9mm 1911 extremely flat shooting. I will say as others have mentioned there are better options if you plan on concealed carrying it but for a fun quality gun the 1911 is great. If you want higher magazine capacity check out the 2011 which is basically a double stack 1911. Also some of the 2011s have composite frames and aluminum slides making them less prone to corrosion and lighter which are both a plus when choosing a carry weapon. Also the 1911 has a different grip angle than your Glock I like both but it’s definitely a change if Glock is all you are used to shooting. Just something to keep in mind. Wouldn’t hurt to go to the gun shop and feel a few to get an idea.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Another Pro? One 1911 - Three calibers!
    My 70's series Colt in .45 acp with 9mm and 22 lr conversion kits!
    20240110_122458.jpg

Top Bottom