Pulled Over only for No Seatbelt?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It does not tell you how to properly use a seat belt, it just states you must use it properly. Some LEA's do give classes on proper child restraint and seat belt use.
    Surely anyone with a drivers license knows how to properly fasten and wear a seat belt. :confused:

Roger that.

He can go to the Dr. and try to get a exemption or he can keep paying tickets.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    It does not tell you how to properly use a seat belt, it just states you must use it properly. Some LEA's do give classes on proper child restraint and seat belt use.
    Surely anyone with a drivers license knows how to properly fasten and wear a seat belt. :confused:

so technically if there is no place stating how to properly wear a seat belt how do we know that he is wearing it right and we are all wrong?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    so technically if there is no place stating how to properly wear a seat belt how do we know that he is wearing it right and we are all wrong?

Not trying to be a smartass either but last time I remember looking at the owners manual of a car it has the funky looking picture of the plastic test doll with the diferent seatbelts showing you how to.

I assume that is enough grounds for them to say the manufacture "recommends" this and you are doing other.

I am just assuming as I do not know for sure either.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    I'd guess the proper way is the way the belt is designed. Something like over your left shoulder (on side of your neck) and down across to the right side of your waist. I don't know if all are designed that way, but I don't recall seeing any that don't.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    This includes also a seat belt UNDER your arm, a good friend of mine (female) got a ticket in NI because of it when she argued the fact that she did indeed have it, the Deputy responded that it was not visible from his Unit and that it was not intended to be used that way as it would not provide protection not to mention it will squeeze ur bubs like if it was oranges LOL.

Im glad she got a ticket though only way some people learn.

I wondered about that. My wife is also made quite uncomfortable by most seat-belts (the upper part) and will sometimes pull it over her head and put it behind her leaving only the lap belt effectively in use. While I told her you could argue that you were "wearing" your belt I doubted it would get her out of a ticket and suggested we buy her some sheepskin belt covers ASAP. I will forward this to her and see if I can make that happen a little faster! :p

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    As long as our insurance is high I'm all for seat belt laws, helmet laws, no insurance laws and anything else that might prevent your dumbass injury and cause me to pay through the nose on premiums.

Plus you probably don't have to scrap body fluids off the pavement. LEOs do. One more seatbelt in an accident is one less visit they make. What does it hurt you and makes other peoples job easier.

Just my two cents x

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Because there comes a certain point were general common sense should take over. We all know how a seatbelt is supposed to be worn. If people would do the right thing instead of constantly trying to figure out technicalitites to get around stuff, they probably wouldn't find themselves standing in front of so much stuff they need to get around.

Trust me, the judges know how a seatbelt is supposed to be written. I can't remember when, but one year I wrote over 200 tickets for no seatbelt alone, and i would guess-ta-mate that 10-15% of them were for people doing the behind the back thing. None of them were found not-guilty.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I don't feel the gov't should be telling me that I have to wear a seat belt or a helmet on a motorcycle. Just like people on here want the gov't to stay out of out of other aspects of their lives.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom