Question about .357 Revolvers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    I noticed in asking that most Gun Stores are having trouble getting Ruger .357's. Anyone know why?
    I have always thought of the Ruger .357 to be a trademark of quality revolvers.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I noticed in asking that most Gun Stores are having trouble getting Ruger .357's. Anyone know why?
    I have always thought of the Ruger .357 to be a trademark of quality revolvers.

After Korth, Colt and Smith&Wesson.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I don't know that Ruger's are the trademark of "quality" revolvers...

S&W & Colt Revolvers are usually nicer pieces. Ruger builds some rock solid designs, but they're pretty plain as far as revolvers go.

The .357 has kind of fallen out of favor with the gun buying public these days, in my opinion.

With improvements in ammunition, .38 special is usually the caliber of choice in most current manufactured revolvers, since a lot of the revolver market is for CCW pieces.

Have you ever shot a full power .357 snubby?! Not something I want to do a lot of. Most people who have .357s shoot .38s out of them anyway.

I like the .357, it just seems it may be too much round for a lot of folks.

Ruger has come out with a lot of new models recently, such as the LCP, LCR, SR Series, the 10/22 models. They only have so much production capacity and have shifted to
    making their newer line products and have put revolver manufacturing to the back burner.

Last edited:

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I have a Taurus .38/.357 that was sent "on vacation" back to Brazil. I called Florida to see why it was taking so long and I was told the gun was approved for replacement but they didn't have any small 5-shot revolvers to replace it with! A friend was also looking for one like it for his daughter and couldn't find one anywhere in this southern LA area. Maybe small revolvers are selling big and no one has stock?

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger is swamped and way behind on their current orders.

Last I heard they quit takin' new ones.

Expect this condition to exist 'till long after the approaching Election and subsequent Civil unrest, and extend through the Zimmerman/Martin case and subsequent Civil unrest next Spring.

Look for'em around this time next Year. :D

GR

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Ruger did suspend all new orders for a few months in order to catch up with demand. This went for all Ruger guns and especially hand guns. The market dried up a little during that time. I think they are taking orders again, but Ruger is quite popular. They make very strong .357 wheel guns and are quality pieces, but aren't as nice as S&W, Colt, Dan Wesson... etc.

You just about can get new prices for used GP100s and SP101s.

Top Bottom