Question about ccw class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU

The Best There Is
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know you have to be 21 to get your permit, but do you have to be 21 to take the class? Like can i take it this summer and wait to send off the papers when i turn 21 in december?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Guys- correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the new rules put in place by the state specify that the notary work is only valid for 60 days?

(That's what I was just told at my renewal, anyway....) Just thought I'd mention that- as some classes provide the notary work as part of the course....

I'd still take the course early, though. You could always get the paperwork notarized later. :)

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Guys- correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the new rules put in place by the state specify that the notary work is only valid for 60 days?

(That's what I was just told at my renewal, anyway....) Just thought I'd mention that- as some classes provide the notary work as part of the course....

I'd still take the course early, though. You could always get the paperwork notarized later. :)

Even if the notary work is good forever, he would be falsifying the application if filled out and notarized before he was 21. There is a question asking if the applicant is at least 21 years old on the app. As stated above, taking the class is fine and a great idea, but the notary work comes after he is 21.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Even if the notary work is good forever, he would be falsifying the application if filled out and notarized before he was 21. There is a question asking if the applicant is at least 21 years old on the app. As stated above, taking the class is fine and a great idea, but the notary work comes after he is 21.

Cool- that makes a lot more sense... Thanks

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

truth.gif

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned before you can DEFINETLY take the class ahead of time, have the paperwork "semi ready" some of it will have to be done the day that you turn 21.

Taking the class ahead of time will allow you to have a better understanding before you actually start to carry, there are LOTS of informative threads in this forum and NOLACOP has a great area for Conceal Carry questions.

Also I strongly recommend that you look for a higher level of training which you have plenty of time to do before December, look into VATA Training and also Bearco will start offering the CFS Course soon ( I Hope ;) )

In Baton Rouge I would talk to Allan with Geauxshootin for the CHP Class, in New Orleans I would talk to either Bearco or Nolacop (when he comes back)

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

Yes, the notary work is good only for 60d according to the class I took a month ago at Precision. I took my class early as it was a good time for me to take it. My CHP doesn't expire until November and I believe I can send the paperwork in 90d early, so I am going to coordinate with Precision and get the notary work done and have my photo taken at a class within the correct time frame. They were very accommodating. That is a price break with Precision as they do the notary work and photo as part of the class so no extra fees. I also get a price break on the permit fee.
    :eh:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yes, the notary work is good only for 60d according to the class I took a month ago at Precision. I took my class early as it was a good time for me to take it. My CHP doesn't expire until November and I believe I can send the paperwork in 90d early, so I am going to coordinate with Precision and get the notary work done and have my photo taken at a class within the correct time frame. They were very accommodating. That is a price break with Precision as they do the notary work and photo as part of the class so no extra fees. I also get a price break on the permit fee.
    :eh:

I was just reading the application for CHP and it said your picture must be within the last 60 but doesn't say anything about a time line on notary work.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I was just reading the application for CHP and it said your picture must be within the last 60 but doesn't say anything about a time line on notary work.

They didn't mention the picture. Maybe it has something to do with notary work in general?

Or, maybe I didn't hear it right! :eh: At any rate, I'll go back for notary work and photo.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    They didn't mention the picture. Maybe it has something to do with notary work in general?

Or, maybe I didn't hear it right! :eh: At any rate, I'll go back for notary work and photo.

Tom I don't know, I was reading this thread and went to LSP website it said nothing about a time line on notary work just 60 days on your picture.
    oleheat took his renewal the same place you did and he posted the 60 day deal above, maybe they are not quite right. :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Tom I don't know, I was reading this thread and went to LSP website it said nothing about a time line on notary work just 60 days on your picture.
    oleheat took his renewal the same place you did and he posted the 60 day deal above, maybe they are not quite right. :)

Yeah, that's what they said @ Precision- that the notary work was good for only 60 days, now. They made it a point to advise that this was a new rule the state came up with ("don't blaim us" :D).

At any rate, I dragged my older brother up to LSP headquarters today and we turned in our renewal apps. GTG. :cheers:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Yeah, that's what they said @ Precision- that the notary work was good for only 60 days, now. They made it a point to advise that this was a new rule the state came up with ("don't blaim us" :D).

At any rate, I dragged my older brother up to LSP headquarters today and we turned in our renewal apps. GTG. :cheers:

When did you take the class? I took it April 2nd and I thought I was the only renewal.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Where are all our instructors? Some of them might can answer it. :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    K I sent an email to the Louisiana Notary Association asking them if they could help me out trying to answer the question of the Notary Seal being only good for 60 days, I explained to them what exactly this was about and gave them a link.

This is the quote of the response that I received.

"The notary seal does not expire. Neither does the Notary commission expire. In addition, the actual official notarization occurs with the signature of the notary and not the seal. Most documents leaving the state of Louisiana usually require a seal (at the request of the other state), however, the seal is not a Louisiana requirement.

So as long as your notary is in good standing with the Secretary of State’s office (which can be easily checked on their website) your documents remain in good form. Perhaps the State Police are referring to some other circumstance arising after 60 days of the preparation of your documents. Of that I cannot be sure."

Respectfully
    Nan Riffe
    LNA Education Committee Chairman

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Here is where I think the confusion may be coming in....

If you look atthe bottom of page 1 of the instructions for filling out the Application....CLICK HERE, You will see the reference to 60 days being made about the photograph that is supposed to be signed by the person doing your fingerprints. That is to ensure that the photograph matches the ugly mug of the person providing the prints as visually witnessed by the person doing the prints.

LSP requires that the photograph be no more than 60 days old from the date of the application. This is for new applications. In the case of renewals, since no fingerprints are required, but a photo is, obviously there is no need for a signature, but the photograph should be recent.

There is no mention about timelines for notaries.

In response to the OP, BEARIT is correct in that when you sign, you are stating everything on the application is accurate and true. If you check that you are 21 when you are not, and then sign, you have just committed a crime (though it is highly unlikely that would ever become and issue). Much like "your vehicle is an extension of your home" being a saying and not a legal term, I simply want people to know the facts before they make a decision to disregard them or follow them. If you choose to ignore things after having been made aware of the reality, then that is your decision as an adult.

taking the class 364 days before your 21t birthday is fine. I generally advise people to take it about 3-6 months before their birthday depending on their experience. Use the time in between to seek additional training.

Top Bottom