Question about cleaning AR-15, etc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hildus Magnus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Hello,

I bought a cleaning kit and it has gun bore cleaner and lubricant.

What confuses me is when cleaning my AR-15, it says to use CPL cleaner at certain points. Of those two things, which is the CPL it's referring to? I'm guessing the lubricant because of the acronym of CPL, it's the lubricant, but then what do I use the gun bore cleaner for? I have used it on the bore of the AR-15, but if the instructions always refer to CPL, how do I know when to use which? Is bore cleaner ONLY for the bore, and every other reference is lubricant?

Thank you

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Ask a dozen people how to clean an AR and you'll get a dozen answers, unless half of them are Marines, then you'll get 7 answers.

Basically, bore cleaner is for the bore. It contains solvents that will remove copper and lead fowling. Lubricants should be used where metal runs on metal. Bore cleaners usually do not contain lubricants.

That being said, here's how I clean and lubricate my AR's:

Bore cleaner for the bore, using either a bore snake or rod and patches.
    Action blaster or aerosol brake cleaner on the bolt carrier, bolt (after it is removed from the weapon, otherwise splashes and drips can melt plastics). Using a bronze brush to get stubborn carbon off.
    A cleaning lubricant (I use Breakfree CLP), for the trigger assembly area, inside the upper receiver, using rags to wipe off the excess.

Synthetic Grease. I use Slick 50 or Tetra's (these are personal preferences that have worked well for my weapons), I apply """sparingly""" (i.e. 'light film'), with my finger on all metal to metal contact points (firing pin, bolt, bolt carrier, recoil buffer face, hammer face).

Although the bore gets cleaned after every session to the range, I generally won't field strip and clean the bolt, carrier or trigger assembly area but every 500 - 750 rounds (more frequently when shooting suppressed).

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Just my .02 here.

I clean my gun once a year no matter how much or little use it gets. Some people will argue with me but I dont use any real commercial things to clean it with. I spray everything down with scrubbing bubbles, yes the bathroom cleaner, and let it soak for 30-60 minutes. Then I would normally drop it in a tub of hot water but the wife has put the kibosh on that one. So I use really hot water and pour it all over everything to get the cleaner out. Then I dry everything off really well and maybe even use a hair dryer in a couple hard to reach spots. The I use the only commercial thing to lube and that is Frog Lube.

I am speaking from my experience in the Military and spending a bunch years in a desert environment. There is no real reason to clean your AR every single time you use it or after so many rounds.

Go to the BCM website and read about the filthy 14 or 15 whatever they are on now. Also a can of compressed air works really well to get stuff out of areas where it is PITA to get too. Also helps drying it out.

Again, this is all just my IMHO.

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    Hello,

I bought a cleaning kit and it has gun bore cleaner and lubricant.

What confuses me is when cleaning my AR-15, it says to use CPL cleaner at certain points. Of those two things, which is the CPL it's referring to? I'm guessing the lubricant because of the acronym of CPL, it's the lubricant, but then what do I use the gun bore cleaner for? I have used it on the bore of the AR-15, but if the instructions always refer to CPL, how do I know when to use which? Is bore cleaner ONLY for the bore, and every other reference is lubricant?

Thank you

Most manuals try to follow .mil cleaning procedures, at least what's in the book (whether that's actually followed is a different matter). There, CLP is supposed to be used for everything; Cleaning, Lubing, and Protecting; and it works. Problem is, like all "jack-of-all-trades," it's master of none. There are better cleaners, lubricants, and protectorates out there and you're not limited by rules, space or deployment. CLP is a type of product, it's not really the same as traditional gun oil or bore cleaner; brands include BreakFree, FP-10, Mil-tech, etc. What's in your kit most probably isn't CLP.

Believe it or not the AR doesn't have to be spotless and/or dripping wet with oil to function just fine. I usually field strip the AR and use non-chlorinated brake cleaner (same thing and cheaper than Gun Scrubber) to remove all the old oil and carbon. I use Hoppes for any difficult carbon left behind and down the bore. I re-lube with BreakFree CLP and call it good. I do this after many rounds or once a year or so. In between range sessions: I'll pull the BCG and wipe it down and re-lube with CLP, wipe out the inside of the upper, wipe off the FCG and finally run a boresnake down the barrel with a little CLP. All of my BCGs are chrome lined and all but one of my barrels are too, and it's stainless, so they are very easy to clean. I find CLP does a good job of keeping all the carbon "liquefied" to make cleaning much easier. I've tried Rem Oil way back and it just dries out too fast, BreakFree CLP stays in better. I do not use grease of any type on an AR ever.

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    You are cleaning for 2 reasons, remove carbon/dirt and remove metal fouling from the barrel. Lubrication is for after cleaning.
    Whichever bore cleaner you have is to help remove carbon and metal jacketing from the bore, everyone has a preferred product, but the results are about the same.
    Clean the carbon from the receiver/bolt and then lube, some people lovingly place every drop of lube, others soak the gun. That is your choice.
    I have never had a gun too clean, too dry...yes.
    My father-in-law cleaned my Garand white glove barracks clean, I had to lube it before I shot it.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Robert McNamara agrees with you guys. AR15's never need cleaned. Wow.

I've asked several guys I know who came back from either Aghan or Iraq what they thought of the M4 or M16. The consensus? As long as you keep the rifle clean and oiled it'll work when you need it. But no those guys were wrong. They just needed to soak it with oil every time.

Good advice guys.

Dave

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

I've asked several guys I know who came back from either Aghan or Iraq what they thought of the M4 or M16. The consensus? As long as you keep the rifle clean and oiled it'll work when you need it. But no those guys were wrong. They just needed to soak it with oil every time.

Good advice guys.

Dave

The early teething issues the M16 expirenced in Vietnam had a great deal more to do with the Army ignoring Stoner's spec on powders in the cartridges than with cleanliness. I carried a M4 or variant in both Iraq and Afghanistan and I rarely cleane beyond blowing out with compressed air. I did keep the gun well lubed. The gun doesn't need to be cleaned following every use. I clean once a year when I inspect for worn parts. I'm neither ignorant nor irresponsible.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Good advice guys.

Dave

How many AR-15s do you own and how many rounds do you have through them?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Good advice guys.

Dave

It's like you see the words, but when you read them they change in your head. Nobody has said anything about soaking in oil. Nobody has said that you should never clean a rifle. I actually said I wipe my stuff down.

Robert McNamara... Really? So, your decisions are based on 50 year old information, on 50 year old technology. If I was a revolver toting luddite I would probably consider that relevant, but having accepted the textile mill and polymer pistols, it doesn't do much for me. Here is current information, from an experienced and well respected shooter/instructor.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You can clean yours to your hearts content. I'm just telling you how I treat mine. Are you passing your opinion on any actual expirenced or just parroting things you heard somewhere?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've already agreed with you. It's a good idea. What else do you want? From what I've read in the rules that's what is required. So I agree. No problems from me. If ya'll don't ask me anything else I won't post anything else about it. Have a great day.

Dave

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I've already agreed with you. It's a good idea. What else do you want? From what I've read in the rules that's what is required. So I agree. No problems from me. If ya'll don't ask me anything else I won't post anything else about it. Have a great day.

Dave

You usually post intelligent stuff. Whether or not I agree with it it's usually well thought out. I was just trying to see where you were coming from. Nevermind.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since I dropped in and see this thread getting ready to take the road to retardation; don't the manufacturers (you know, the guys that actually made the gun), have any thoughts on how a customer (you know, the person that bought the gun), should take care of the gun (you know, the one they actually made)?

Just wondering. ;)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You usually post intelligent stuff. Whether or not I agree with it it's usually well thought out. I was just trying to see where you were coming from. Nevermind.

Ok well here goes, the amount of cleaning a weapon must and the type of cleaning it receives has a lot to with the environment in which a weapon is used. Just adding oil will keep most semi automatic firearms working. However lubricants can attract dirt and can dry out. So an infrequent shooter might have to add oil everytime and work the bolt to get it up and running. I would image and I'm not expert like you guys that if I were going to depend on AR15 for home defense that I would clean it and lubricate it after shooting it. Is it 100% needed? How clean does it have to get? In my case it has to get cleaner than it most likely needs to be. But if you get it too clean and lubricated will jam b/c of it?

Dave

Top Bottom