question for FFLs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    If someone decided to put their social security number on a 4473, do they have to actually show their social security card? I was told you do have to show it, and I'm trying to figure out if this is the law or someone's company policy.

Last edited:

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    The number will be used on the NICS system to verify that you are who you say you are. You do need to provide some I'd (usually driver's license) to the FFL for his records.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I was told this by an employee of a chain of pawn shops after I mentioned that my new drivers license didn't have my social on it. My old one did. I went to the DMV and got a new one since the old one would be expiring Saturday, and the woman there never even asked if I wanted it on there, she just left it off.

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    I am an FFL and if you put your SSN on the form it is given to the NICS operator and helps prevent mis-identification and delays, however only a valid gov. ID is required, typically a DL or state ID card. SS card is not nessecary.

~B~

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I think this is an example of something I see a lot around here, someone in management telling the workers that a company policy is "the law" to make them follow it.

ngrani3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Had a customer once that reversed a few numbers of his social and the NICS operator asked for proof of his social once the customer realized what he had done. Of course he didn't have it and got delayed... But other than that all you need is a government issued picture ID with your current address on it.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I have never shown my SS # on any xfer to any FFL.You get a proceed,delay ,or deny.Period !!!!I don't believe it has anything to do with helping you,it has to do with their program of looking you up faster.I say,they get paid,do your job,I have too.

I am always delayed,after many many xfers across many many states.I questioned it many times but finally called ATF and they basically said, once you are delayed,you will always be delayed.They ask what my job was and I told them.They said ahhhh..High clearance in security,that is more than likely why.

They said it had to do with my name and SS being looked up many times,since I do security and go into law offices,US marshals offices,gov,etc...

Who knows,but it sounded right to me.No other reason for me to be delayed,especially having a CCW in almost every state I lived in with o issues.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I questioned it many times but finally called ATF and they basically said, once you are delayed,you will always be delayed..

I have to call BS on that. I used to get delayed about 1/3 of the time before I got my C&R, no pattern to it.

As for putting the social security # on the 4473, I figure it's not like they don't know who I am anyway. My name and address are on there, so why not go ahead and make the process quick and easy? That's what I do for mine anyhow, you do what makes you happy.

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    uhh ok,,I guess I could get a UPIN ,but why.I haven't had to in 35 years,why start now.

You have a high clearance job or a job they look your SS and name up continuously,pale horse.You said BS,so I'm assuming you know what I was speaking of as far as my name being looked up a lot.

I have heard it from more than just the ATF.I have spoken with 100s of FFLs and about 80% of them said about the same thing.

I guess they were all wrong too:(

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    uhh ok,,I guess I could get a UPIN ,but why.I haven't had to in 35 years,why start now.

You have a high clearance job or a job they look your SS and name up continuously,pale horse.You said BS,so I'm assuming you know what I was speaking of as far as my name being looked up a lot.

I have heard it from more than just the ATF.I have spoken with 100s of FFLs and about 80% of them said about the same thing.

I guess they were all wrong too:(

Quite frankly, I don't care if you get a UPIN or not. I don't care if you refuse to sign for your kids report card since it's government paperwork and you've got your tinfoil hat on too tight. I don't care if you get background checks run all the time. That's your life, not mine. I and most of the gun people I know get delayed sometimes, sometimes not. I'm calling BS on what you said based on my own experience. If you're going to jump into the thread swinging the "I'm king dingaling" stick, spouting off something that goes completely against my own experiences, don't get your panties in a wad if I don't believe you.

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Wow.intelligence is oozing out lol

I in no means spouted off about anything.Your question was in the thread you started,stated: If someone decided to put their social security number on a 4473, do they have to actually show their social security card? I was you do have to show it, and I'm trying to figure out if this is the law or someone's company policy.

I was merely stating that I do not believe you HAVE to give or show anyone any SS# to do a 4473 background check.

I wasn't trying to sling any uhh dig aling stick,not sure what that is,nor am I sure what this means:

I was you do have to show it.....

You will have to give me a minute to get my English to Swahili dictionary out to understand that sentence.

If you don't want to worry about having to show your SS#,then why would you state.Why not put my SS# down.:(

No you didnt......

Last edited:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I was you do have to show it.....

You will have to give me a minute to get my English to Swahili dictionary out to understand that sentence.

Actually, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I accidentally left the word "told" out. I wouldn't want to look like someone who would use the sentence "I wasn't trying to sling any uhh dig aling stick". People like that are usually mall cops who "do security and go into law offices,US marshals offices,gov,etc...", then play like they're big and important on the internet.:D

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I believe that statement is true to the best of my knowledge.Maybe putting !!!! marks in the sentence gave you an indication
    I was spouting.I am sorry if you took it that way.

I in no way meant to spout anything:(

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Yeah, maybe I'm a little grumpy at this time of the night.

pc.jpg

Top Bottom