Question for the LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I didn't know there were so many LE guys on here?

JR1572

funny-dog-pictures-chihuahua-does-not-appreciate-being-taken-to-taco-bell.jpg

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    My view on this is that I'm not going to run the serial number on your weapon until I have some reason to suspect criminal activity. It's legal to own weapons, it's legal to have them in your vehicle. I may temporarily remove it from your possession and immediately unload it, but unless something comes up like dispatch telling me you're a felon, or have an extensive record for theft or burglary, or the serial number's been ground off, or the smell of the "marageewannah" is wafting out of your car and from your Affliction hoodie, I'm not running it.

Years back I was stopped (and ticketed) in Killian, LA while returning from a weekend at a camp on the river, and I had five pistols stuffed in my bags. He never asked, and since they were not on my person and were zipped up in bags, I didn't offer. One trooper that stopped me on 90 while I was returning from Intracoastal City walked right up to the occupied passenger side and opened the door, dropped the glove box open, and removed my pistol without any word to the passenger, who got scared sh!tless because he was an ex-con and thought he'd be going back to prison 'cuz I had a gun in the car. Looking back now with over a decade's excperience, I'd never do that without having the passenger out of the way. He checked the number, told me "Nice gun," and having observed the alcohol containers he'd seen us walk out of the convenience store with were not opened, gave me a warning for the ridiculous excuse he'd used for pulling me over and sent me up the road.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    One trooper that stopped me on 90 while I was returning from Intracoastal City walked right up to the occupied passenger side and opened the door, dropped the glove box open, and removed my pistol without any word to the passenger, who got scared sh!tless because he was an ex-con and thought he'd be going back to prison 'cuz I had a gun in the car.QUOTE]

Was he a felon? Cuz if he was, I thought he was not supposed to be anywhere around guns?!?

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    He was a convicted felon, having done time in prison in TX for various narcotics offenses. He worked as a hand for the company I x-rayed for, and we were returning from 2 weeks offshore. He was simply a passenger in my vehicle, in which I legally had a firearm contained within the glove box. If I brought a gun with his knowledge as a passenger in his car, that would be one thing, but what's he know about my car? I guess if his PO really wanted to be a d!ck he could violate him if an incident had ensued, but really, that would be like his going to a friend's house to watch a football game on the weekend and the friend happens to own a shotgun for hunting: Is he really violating the rules of his parole there? I'm not a PO myself, maybe the rules are that strict, but I think there would have to be some convincing proof of knowledge and ill intent before it would become a problem.

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    My view on this is that I'm not going to run the serial number on your weapon until I have some reason to suspect criminal activity. It's legal to own weapons, it's legal to have them in your vehicle. I may temporarily remove it from your possession and immediately unload it, but unless something comes up like dispatch telling me you're a felon, or have an extensive record for theft or burglary, or the serial number's been ground off, or the smell of the "marageewannah" is wafting out of your car and from your Affliction hoodie, I'm not running it.

Years back I was stopped (and ticketed) in Killian, LA while returning from a weekend at a camp on the river, and I had five pistols stuffed in my bags. He never asked, and since they were not on my person and were zipped up in bags, I didn't offer. One trooper that stopped me on 90 while I was returning from Intracoastal City walked right up to the occupied passenger side and opened the door, dropped the glove box open, and removed my pistol without any word to the passenger, who got scared sh!tless because he was an ex-con and thought he'd be going back to prison 'cuz I had a gun in the car. Looking back now with over a decade's excperience, I'd never do that without having the passenger out of the way. He checked the number, told me "Nice gun," and having observed the alcohol containers he'd seen us walk out of the convenience store with were not opened, gave me a warning for the ridiculous excuse he'd used for pulling me over and sent me up the road.

That sounds like an illegal search and seizure to me, did you file a complaint?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

How did he know there was a firearm in there?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Learn 4 words: "Probable Cause" and "Reasonable Suspicion"

Never had an issue, I'm sure it's due to the fact I try to give the guys with the $h!tty job an easy time, while I may not have a high and tight anymore, it's close, and the EGA sticker, and the retired military ID on top of my DL....;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He was a convicted felon, having done time in prison in TX for various narcotics offenses. He worked as a hand for the company I x-rayed for, and we were returning from 2 weeks offshore. He was simply a passenger in my vehicle, in which I legally had a firearm contained within the glove box. If I brought a gun with his knowledge as a passenger in his car, that would be one thing, but what's he know about my car? I guess if his PO really wanted to be a d!ck he could violate him if an incident had ensued, but really, that would be like his going to a friend's house to watch a football game on the weekend and the friend happens to own a shotgun for hunting: Is he really violating the rules of his parole there? I'm not a PO myself, maybe the rules are that strict, but I think there would have to be some convincing proof of knowledge and ill intent before it would become a problem.

I don't think this works?!?

Top Bottom