Question on Red DOTS and HOLO, best on a budget

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Greetings

I currently own 2 AR's one bone stock and one with a lil bit of work done to it which is my baby, I would like to upgrade the optics on it since thats the area that im lacking on but dont have $800 to spare as of right now on some EOTECHS and magnifiers.

Which optic would you guys recommend on a low budget? I have a BSA and a Center Point Now, they do the job but its kinna emberrasing to show my baby to guys who know about AR's and they all comment on how COOL looking it is but to upgrade optics is a MUST.

Thanks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I would personally use irons until I could afford something quality. Optics is something you just can't skimp on and expect good results. I would say Eotechs are your best chance for quality at a good price, you can find them lightly used for $300 and under. And the magnifier isn't really a necessity IMO.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I would personally use irons until I could afford something quality. Optics is something you just can't skimp on and expect good results. I would say Eotechs are your best chance for quality at a good price, you can find them lightly used for $300 and under. And the magnifier isn't really a necessity IMO.

I don't have experience with much, but I would also suggest going the used eotech route. You can save a lot of money, and if you decide to sell it you can likely get it all back since you bought it used in the first place.

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    ..but its kinna emberrasing to show my baby to guys - hey - don't worry about what others may say or suggest ... all that matters is what works for you! I got the EoTech, Bushnell, and a couple cheap alternatives - they all have their place and purpose ..

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The cheapo depo i got definetly works for me and I'm very accurate with it as well, but its just a pride thing to show your baby off and know u are lacking on something.

I like the price range on that spotscope, and I have looked around at those Eotech Clones that claim to come from the same factory, look the same, interchange parts but its not an EOTECH LOL, maybe once Uncle Sam gives me some of the $$ he stole from me I might feel better about dropping some money on that aspect.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 What LSP said...

I have a pair of Konus sights. One is a traditional (1.5 - 5x) scope with a diamond 'donut', the other is a knockoff of the micro T1. Both work well and both sell for under $100. The glass is clearer and the image brighter than anything else in that price range. Eventually I may splurge on an ACOG but that is well down the line...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    In the first place, keep in mind that most of the folks telling you to "upgrade" are just parroting what they read on the internet. The optics on your carbines are indeed "low end", but unless you are an "operator" who will use the gear hard, they will probably serve you just fine. BSA is made by Barska, which is the best of the inexpensive Chinese stuff. I am constantly amazed by the attitudes of people whose gear and weapons will never see anything more strenuous than a three-day class. Sure, the top-shelf stuff is nice to have, and is indeed more durable/better quality.

I tend to think differently about this. You're lumping things into "operator" and "normal folks" to determine necessity of quality gear. I strongly disagree here! In my opinion, regardless of who you are there are a) guns you may depend on to save your life someday and b) range toys. Operator or not, I'm not putting cheap Chinese junk on a rifle if there is an even a 1% chance it'll be aimed at a GNS someday. There's things on a firearm that can be skimped upon, but I don't think optics is one of them unless it's just a range gun.

I agree with everything else, and the Burris is definitely a quality red dot for not a lot of money. Not sure if it would make him cooler with the ninja crowd though... :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Thanks a lot on the input LSP, I am definetly not an "Operator" I have recently applied to be a Reserve Deputy with St. Martin, I have some tactical training on my background both with the military and civilian (ViP Protection, etc etc). In Central America which is where I am originally from there is a high market for VIP Services, from body guards to bullet proof vehicles and so on, my dad was the Ops. Manager at one of this places and we had 3 guys that retired from Israel's Special Forces in house teaching techniques and tactics on weekly basis. Most of the time we ran either Galil's, Ak's and ocasionally an MP5 since they were easier to come along in our country, we didnt got M16's or M4's until late 90's when the US decided to send us the crap they didnt want LOL. Any how once I moved down here I started getting a small collection together and I mostly focused on handguns 1911's XD's Sig's, once I started with the rifles my first choice was an AK since its the platform I was mostly comfortable with slowly I have been trying to get into the AR's since the parts and accesories are so easy to come along unlike the AK's. In the near future I want to get into the gun matches since its the closest thing to come along to the training that I received, clearing rooms, shooting from vehicles and stuff like that, I have been looking around my area (Breaux Bridge) for tactical ranges that allow you to practice this kind of stuff but unfurtunetly unless you are LEO or want to pay top dollar nothing is available. Either way I will look into the optics that you recomended, I want something that its not a cheapo depo more on the mid range as far as price and quality just to get me into the sport, im sure once I get the fever of it I will upgrade on quality just like I have done with my pistols accesories, I apreciatte everybodys help and input and hopefully I will get to meet some of you in the near future.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I agree with Speedracer here. If it's just a range gun then any optic will do. Personally, I shy away from the cheaper optics. I would rather stick with irons if I couldnt get good optics. The cheaper optics would probably work just fine, but for me, it's a piece of mind thing. I want to know that I have quality gear riding on top. I use EOTech and Aimpoint and both work great.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    C-Mores are great sights. Some think they're fragile. I've been using them since the mid '90's and have had no problems at all.

JumpmanUSC

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 23, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Try this- http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=655370.
    I have used this on my 22lr AR and been very please with it. Check out the reviews on it, most are positive. I used this on a few occasions on my .223 upper and was suprised how well it holds true. I own 2 Aimpoints, 1 EOTech and a Burris fastFire and althoufg on paper they are better, I have yet to use them extensively enough to say they are superior to this Walther branded sight.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I really like the Burris Fast Fire II price is awesome for what I am looking to do with it. Will this sight once attached to a flat top with the picatinny mount, still allow me to use my flip up back sight on my current configuration, or I will have to use one with a higher mount?

I like the C-More Tactical since it comes as a package with the back sight and all but its a little more than what im looking at spending at this time, eventhough its a very neat configuration.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    As you can see below, I run my C-More at 1 o'clock on the handguard as a secondary or "in your face" sight. It may seem awkward to roll the rifle to get the dot lined up, but it's pretty natural feeling. Got my pic rails from Ergo Grip, but there are many other mfgs.

zxj63wgwuchtgge6nukn.jpg

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I did some research on the Vortex strikefire and aparently hasnt been too succesfull on the reviews. For what I read the high setting for the DOT is very low on light or dim and for fast target shooting tends to be a little bit of a problem, also the way the mount sits it does not co-witness with iron sights and once you put the 2x magnifier that it comes with the field of view becomes very very small.

You can see some pics of it mounted here
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Vortex-Strikefire-Initial-t50354.html

Im currently doing some research on the Bushnell Trophy that is like a Trijicon clone not many reviews on it so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom