Questions about an AR build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have been doing a lot of reading and research about the AR platform and am trying to decide what I want to order. After trying to find some answers in two well known forums, I am tired of the constant bashing and internet pissing contests they contain. So with that in mind, I am hoping some of you can answer my questions.

This rifle will be used primarily at the range, but it will also be my SHTF/defensive rifle. Also, I want to stay away from the bargain basement carbines both for reliability and longevity issues.

I have pretty much decided that I want a 16" barrel with a midlength gas system, as to stay away from the 14.5" with a pinned FH. I am also not looking to get into SBR territory.

So, here is how I see my choices:

1. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16 bfh.htm

2. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=946904

3. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=934034

I have also considered the BCM 16" with the stainless barrel, but am not sold on a stainless barrel.
    With my Midway discount code, the prices are within $50 of each other. The Colt is a carbine length gas system and also includes a rear sight. The Noveske includes a Vortex flash hider, while the others are a standard A2.

Which would you pick and why?

I also would like a rear BUIS which has elevation adjustment such as http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=244103 or I may just go with a Troy Battlesight or a Magpul BUIS. Suggestions?

If my budget allows, I intend to put an ACOG on it, likely http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=197 or I may go with a less expensive 1-4x variable scope.

Also, does anyone have experience with the Magpul UBR Stock and is it worth the premium price?

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    BCM Lightweight Midlength is the best all-around setup IMO. Very well balanced rifle. I have a ton of rounds through mine without a single malfunction.

As for the rear sight, I like the Troy Battlesight. You don't really need elevation adjustment on the rear sight.

The UBR is a VERY nice stock, but it's just not really necessary IMO. It doesn't really do anything other stocks won't, especially for the average Joe. And it adds quite a bit of unneccesary weight. I'd spend less on the stock (Magpul MOE or CTR) and put the savings into a better optic or a Geissele SSA trigger.

For me, priority is low weight and reliability. Buy a quality upper and optic/sights. The rest of the rifle is much less important.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I agree with SpeedRacer. I would suggest getting a 16" Midlength BCM. Dont waste money on the UBR, get a MOE. I also would not put money into an ACOG for your intended uses. Look for a used M3, M2, R1, or H1 and a decent mount. If you want it for your house, consider a light, a TLR-1 on a rail or a G2 in a VTAC mount. Spend the rest on ammo, mags, and training. With a Aimpoint, irons are really not super useful at close range, especially flip ups.

I would lay out your entire budget, sat $1k for the gun, $500 for the optic, another $100 for a light...

You see some idiots running around with ACR's and PEQ-15's... dont do what they did, simple is better.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I second the above recommendations. I would also encourage you to look at the Daniel Defense stuff. The Aimpoint is a good optic but I would limit yourself to just Aimpoints. You won't really know what kinda reticle you like till you shoot some.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Vanilla is right, some other company makes some other optic.. E.. O... I cant remember..... Just remember the reticle on that optic is blank most of the time ;) Just kidding, check out the new XPS Series, they fixed some of the issues (non-issues to some). Daniel Defense does make nice stuff.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You see some idiots running around with ACR's and PEQ-15's... dont do what they did, simple is better.

:bowrofl: Classic.

I can't follow the BCM link for some reason, but I'm guessing it goes to a 16" Midlength Lightweight. I'm partial to this particular upper because... well... I've got one pretty much just like it. Went with the gov't profile cold hammer forged barrel and a DD Lite Rail, but the concept (lightweight) is the same-- and Middie gas is the ****.

Noveske makes some amazing rifles. The fit and finish is pretty remarkable. They are widely considered to be the top of the gas gun barrel-- and I can't really argue with that notion. I like the MG chrome lining job they do. It'd be my other consideration of the 3. Because I can't see the BCM option's details, it's hard to make a definitive recommendation.

As for rear BUIS-- I love my ARMS 40L. The "L" stands for low profile, which is not a misnomer-- and especially important when you consider optics. It's VERY quick to flip up, well designed and sturdy as all get out. I like the Troy options quite a bit as well, but my experience is that they're pretty darn tough to open up even when your stress-addled brain hasn't robbed you of all fine motor control. (I still have one of their front flip ups on my own SHTF rifle, though-- so take that with a grain of salt.)

I never thought the ACOG would be a consideration for me... until I looked through and shot a couple of them. For civilian use outside of competition, they're more of a trinket than a tool. It's remarkably easy to use them as an RDS at close range, but you're simply not going to be taking any extremely long shots in a "real fight" situation. Unless you plan on doing a LOT of plinking at ranges of 200+ yards, you're better off saving the money to spend on ammo. (If I were rich as sin, I'd probably own one...)

I'm an EOTech person myself, although I like and respect the Aimpoints as well. Many, if not most people struggle with "fuzz" at the edges of the EOTech display, and don't benefit from the precision afforded by the 1 MOA dot. I have been blessed with excellent vision, and couldn't see myself using any other RDS. This is REALLY something you should figure out by shooting both-- at speed, strong and weak handed, and from other places than just a bench. Both options are more than viable. As suggested, keep your eyes peeled on these boards for used optics in good shape. It's hard to wear one of these things out, and if you eventually want a brand new one... you've just got a reliable optic ready for the NEXT AR you build.

Good luck, and let me say that thus far, you seem to be on the right track.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom