Questions Regarding Florida and Utah Non-Resident permits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mburch2

Open Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Current LA resident here seeking some advice on CHP permits.

I've lived here for 18 years, but come December/early January, I will be moving out of the state of LA to move to Florida for a guaranteed job opportunity.

I do not currently own a LACHP. My worry is that Florida does not allow opencarry, and in order to receive a FLCHP I need to be a resident for at a minimum of six months.

I've been told that my options are reasonably limited. If I wanted to start an application process for a valid CHP, I should be looking into a non-resident FL or Utah permit.

Does anybody have experience with these permits? I understand that some states do NOT accept a non-resident permit, but I will primarily be traveling within Florida and the southern states.

Are there any instructors here on Bayoushooter that offer a class geared towards a non-resident permit? Or any instructor that would advocate it?

I'm not too fond of a 8-10 month waiting period before I can become a resident of Florida + waiting to receive the resident FL liscence.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. FL has non-resident CHP, but they are taking between 6-12 months to process.
    2. In your situation, I would try to get the FL or Utah non-resident.
    3. I am not registered with UTAH just yet, but there are some in the area. I know shooter's club in Metairie has FL/Utah certified classes.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    First off my fl non res permit took about 5 months to get. Second I think fl and ut will accept any basic firearms training course for their permits. My training for my fl and ut permits came from front sight.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I currently have all 3 because I plan on moving out of here within a year or so. I think both is the way to go. Fl covers more southern states and ut covers more western states

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    First off my fl non res permit took about 5 months to get. Second I think fl and ut will accept any basic firearms training course for their permits. My training for my fl and ut permits came from front sight.

Not sure about FL, but Utah, the instructor has to be registered with Utah, just like here. If FL will take any, you can come to my class in Metairie:D

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    FL accept's hunter's safety but you still should take a legit class.

not sure if utah even requires proof of training

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    FL accept's hunter's safety but you still should take a legit class.

not sure if utah even requires proof of training

Again, they do and it has to be from a Utah registered instructor. granted, the class only has to be about 2-4 hours ;) but it is required. I know because I am in the process of getting certified to teach Utah classes. :D

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What if you were a Florida Resident and got your CHP as a resident then moved to LA and became a resident? Would your Florida CHP be valid in both LA and FL? Or does a resident CHP in a state your no longer a resident become invalid?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What if you were a Florida Resident and got your CHP as a resident then moved to LA and became a resident? Would your Florida CHP be valid in both LA and FL? Or does a resident CHP in a state your no longer a resident become invalid?

Just a guess but I would say it wouldn't be any good in either state since you would be a new resident on LA and no longer a resident of FL so your FL resident permit would be void. :dunno:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What would happen if I moved back there and established residence again before the license expired would it still be valid? I need somewhere to look this up any suggestions?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Florida and Utah permits will soon be of no value to La. residents. La. residents will be required to get a La. CHP for it to be valid in the state of La.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    The day will come soon that all contiguous states will not honor a permit from a state in which the person does not reside. It is on the horizon and NOLA you may be getting the other state certs for no reason.

Top Bottom