Racism - My take on it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    When I was just out of the Service I applied for a apprentice program with the local cable company. I was told "Your not getting in because your not Hispanic"

I also worked for a company that had an exam process and I was #1 on the list out of 500+ people. Written and performance. Early 1990 and they were heavy into affirmative action programs.
    To interview, I had to take a days vacation every time because we lived so far out in the sticks. I used 14 days in one year.

At the end of my 14th interview I threatened to come to the next interview in a dress and claim discrimination. Its hard to express on the computer just how frustrated I was but wouldn't you know, I got that job.
    Within two years not one of the 13 promotional employee's were still on the job.

I dont owe anyone either. I had a rough childhood at best, so what. Im as successful as I want to be and I did it by myself.

I also never understood racism until I moved here. I hate everyone........:rofl:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    What ever happened to hiring the most "qualified" person, not just a warm body! Geeezzz I know what you guys mean, I see this in the company I work for.

BTW once I get home I have a similar story to share. I hate typing on iPhone!

Bam Bam

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I figured I wasn't the only person this happened to. Are minorities so inferior there must be a quota system to help them succeed? Are they so ignorant the government must give them a "helping hand" to compete with there white male counterparts?

If I were a minority I would be pissed. One of the persons they hired I refused to work with. She was an arrogant bitch and even stated "they can't fire me. I'm black and a female." I was training her and she would not/could not follow directions. I got so pissed one day I packed my stuff and demanded to go home. I was talked into staying and promised I would not have to train her anymore. She was so sorry they got rid of her in less than six months. Even being a black female. Long story short I overcame and didn't look back. When I hear the words "Fair" "Equal" "Level Playing Field" by Democrats I am angered because I know there agenda. These sorry inferior bastards (Democrats) wouldn't know fairness if it was shoved up their asses.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I am really glad that my company does not give a rat's ass about any quota. Actually I kinda find it funny what their beliefs are.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    At my job, I see school busses from " one " area of town come to another " area " of town ( under performers ) ...on school wide testing days...they unload a bus or two for a few hours then load them back up and leave...the under performing schools seem to "somehow" make a good enough score to get the state off their back

Y'all will have to connect your own dots, I just see those things

Somehow, I don't think that's what they had in mind when they first suggested "bussing."

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Somehow, I don't think that's what they had in mind when they first suggested "busing."

Ha, me neither & ...FYI,...
    another affirmative action brain child, Busing , the real kind...cost Calcasieu 7.7 million a year, thats without the all day " special " busing for satellite programs and short buss classes

Can't guess what NO or BR , Shrevesport...gotta be at least double that , just to try to FORCE equality without qualification

Plum Crazy

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Ha, me neither & ...FYI,...
    another affirmative action brain child, Busing , the real kind...cost Calcasieu 7.7 million a year, thats without the all day " special " busing for satellite programs and short buss classes

Can't guess what NO or BR , Shrevesport...gotta be at least double that , just to try to FORCE equality without qualification

Plum Crazy

Equality only works in theory, Equity works in practice.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m writing this in response to a recent post on racism on this board. It is a true story and continues to this very day. It is racist, creates resentment, and is just plain wrong.

A young man with a wife and son worked on an offshore production platform as a “contract” employee. He very much wanted to become a “company” employee because it meant an 80% increase in pay, insurance, retirement, and other benefits. To help his chances to become a “company” employee he was enrolled in a college program (7 and 7) for Petroleum Technology. Four of his seven days on land were spent all day in class and home work was brought to be completed with off time on the platform. The young man was T2 OSHA certified to work on production equipment. He was knowledgeable of all production equipment and maintained it and responsible for production reports. The young man had several years of experience and was handling the daily production of three satellite platforms. All in all he was experienced enough to be a go to guy when there was a problem.

The time came when the company was hiring new “company” employees. The young man was very excited and optimistic about his prospects at becoming a “company” employee. More pay and benefits were what he wanted for his new family. The time came and numerous people were hired as “company” employees. However, the young man wasn’t. He was very upset because some of the new hires had no experience at all. Some didn’t even have families to support and were single. At this time he wondered why he was sacrificing four of his seven days off away from family to be in class. Was this his reward?

The young man was extremely upset he wasn’t hired and spoke to his supervisors. He was informed he wasn’t hired because he “was the wrong color and the wrong sex”. He was advised the platform was on a federal lease and the Federal Government had hiring “quotas”. That young man was me 25+ years ago. So when people complain to me about Racism don’t expect a sympathetic ear. I am who I am and where I am in life despite the system. If a minority complains how they are being kept down I will tell them they are keeping themselves down with their victim mentality. Get off their ass and get a work ethic and they will go far.

pain
    The blade cuts both ways. Despite the fact that racism is with us (both by Whites and by Blacks and by Others to one another) it doesn't serve the interest of any with misguided, poorly executed quotas. Prepare to be the best; hire amongst the best is what I always say... anything else is counterproductive.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The blade cuts both ways. Despite the fact that racism is with us (both by Whites and by Blacks and by Others to one another) it doesn't serve the interest of any with misguided, poorly executed quotas. Prepare to be the best; hire amongst the best is what I always say... anything else is counterproductive.

I totally agree. Quotas for the sake of just color or sex creates resentment and poor moral. I'm sure minorities have sat in my shoes too. It is really sickening to be way more qulaified for a job and not get it. To throw salt in your wound you are expected to train the new people. Then to make things worse some of those new people are arrogant.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I totally agree. Quotas for the sake of just color or sex creates resentment and poor moral. I'm sure minorities have sat in my shoes, too. It is really sickening to be way more qulaified for a job and not get it. To throw salt in your wound you are expected to train the new people. Then to make things worse some of those new people are arrogant.

Been there; resent that. I was training Chinese to eventually replace American engineers while at an auto exhaust supplier. They WILL eventually replace us but at least they are very polite (as they eat our lunch). The arrogant bastards will fall on their swords but that is very little consolation when you've lost your job...

I've been looked upon strangely, treated abrasively, totally ignored and have essentially been told I was a liar in various interviews. They loved the resume but I was not what they expected. One one occasion a friend of mine at a Japanese auto company called laughing telling me this. Yeah, we have dark senses of humor. It was too bad as I'd have loved working for them. Harley was rude; well one guy was totally dismissive and didn't offer to shake my hand, look me in the eye or offer his card. And one now good friend of mine told me he expected me to be Irish (as is he) based upon my name and didn't know who I was when I showed up for the interview. I worked with him for 4 months (a rotation through Ford Vehicle Planning Office) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. While at one job I was denied an offer in one position that later made a lot of sense. I was in GM Motorsports on a summer internship and thought I'd get the opportunity to work in that arena and was crushed when ABC thought I should take a rotation through Chevrolet Dyno Engineering. Two of the guys I worked with explained to me why: I would not be readily accepted by "the good ole boys" even though I knew my stuff. I sulked for about a week and soon got over it all. (Hell, there was nothing to "get over" looking back. Things are WTF they are; you deal with it).

While no one likes being discriminated against it does build character. Well, it did for me.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I've been looked upon strangely, treated abrasively, totally ignored and have essentially been told I was a liar.

Ah, I see your married too. :rofl:

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    CE, back in 1976 I wanted to go for an apprenticeship in the carpenters union.
    I was told those same words, "Sorry son, you have two things going against you, you're the wrong color & you're the wrong sex."
    Screw em, I did it on my frickin own.
    I'll never forget those words, though.

Art

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    CE, back in 1976 I wanted to go for an apprenticeship in the carpenters union.
    I was told those same words, "Sorry son, you have two things going against you, you're the wrong color & you're the wrong sex."
    Screw em, I did it on my frickin own.
    I'll never forget those words, though.

Art

Some people you can keep down. Some people you can't. Now I know how minorities feel that have been discriminated against. It isn't fun but you can overcome.

What really was hard for me was my seven days on land were valuable time. Four of those seven days I was in class all day. So I barely had six days a month to handle what needed to be done while I was in. The disheartening part about it was my sacrifice and qualifications far exceeded the new hires. As I mentioned earlier I was training two of them. One wanted to learn and really tried. She turned out to be a pretty good hand. The other was arrogant, condescending, and an unsafe worker. The way she strutted around and ran her mouth. She destroyed the morale on our platform. All of the other contract operators started to not care.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Somehow, I don't think that's what they had in mind when they first suggested "bussing."

It's not, the whole situation was bastardized by the NAACP. The original lawsuit was filed to make a local school system allow the black children to goto the local neighborhood school rather than them be bussed to the edge of town to the "colored school."

Top Bottom