range in NO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    Bayou Dragon is in Crown Point, down Lafite-Larose Hwy towards Lafite. Like greg said, last time at BD, the ventilation was HORRIBLE! As opposed to Top Gun in Houston, where I've shot a bit, they have hospital OR spec HEPA ventilation/filtration.:thumbsup:

+1 for BD having horrible ventilation. Everytime I go there I feel like I swallowed a handfull of gunpowder, and I can't get that taste outa my mouth for the rest of the day.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    +1 for BD having horrible ventilation. Everytime I go there I feel like I swallowed a handfull of gunpowder, and I can't get that taste outa my mouth for the rest of the day.

EXACTLY! I have a freaking lifetime membership, and haven't been there in maybe 2 years.:(

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I find sometimes it is bad & a non-issue at other times. Someone told me you have to turn the vents on yourself. I have been using the fans when I go & it helps alot. Someone blasting away with cheap ammo does not help. Also the big rifles can kick up everything down range.

I did notice at the BZ the wind tends to blow directly in my face. Once after I took a shower my daughter went into the bathroom & then came get me cause "it smells like burnt toast". It is one thing having residue all over you & another having it feel like a lump in your throat. I have been to the Dragon and on the way home thought "15 more minutes would have killed me".

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Come on out to the Honey Island shooting range. Open Friday 1-6pm, Sat 8am-6pm, Sun 8am-6pm. Fee is $6.00 all day with in and out priviledges. It has a 100 yard rifle line; 25 yard pistol line, and 3 clay throwers for shotgun. Go to the Honey Island web site Honey Island .org for all the other information.

Range is outdoors and well supervised. Bring family and a lunch stay all day. Run out of ammo? Wal-mart 15 minutes away Acadamy 20 minutes.

Take exit 5B on Hwy 59 N from Slidell.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Honey Island is a good range. I go out there a lot and Bambam does too. The covered firing lines with individual benches are really nice, and the presence of range masters makes for a VERY safe experience.

My only ONLY beef with Honey Island is the 100 yard limitation. It's a big one too. 100 yards just isn't enough for me to test my skills any more, so I go to Stennis these days. The big problem with Stennis in the summer is it's hot as hell, and you'd BETTER bring a cooler full of water and a popup sun shelter as well as a folding table and chair. There's a table out there, but it's pretty rough, and there are NO chairs. It is, however 250-300 yards long.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Honey Island is a good range. I go out there a lot and Bambam does too. The covered firing lines with individual benches are really nice, and the presence of range masters makes for a VERY safe experience.

My only ONLY beef with Honey Island is the 100 yard limitation. It's a big one too. 100 yards just isn't enough for me to test my skills any more, so I go to Stennis these days. The big problem with Stennis in the summer is it's hot as hell, and you'd BETTER bring a cooler full of water and a popup sun shelter as well as a folding table and chair. There's a table out there, but it's pretty rough, and there are NO chairs. It is, however 250-300 yards long.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Do any of you long time shooters remember the obnoxious guy that used to manage Jefferson Indoor (that's what the one on Hickory used to be called)? Due to the poor ventillation he died of lead poisoning. There's a good reason to shoot outdoors!

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Do any of you long time shooters remember the obnoxious guy that used to manage Jefferson Indoor (that's what the one on Hickory used to be called)? Due to the poor ventillation he died of lead poisoning. There's a good reason to shoot outdoors!

There really is no reason these days not to have proper ventilation in a range, especially with the money they make! There is a range in Houston I've shot at several times, Top Gun, that has a hospital grade HEPA filtration system on their range. After firing 100 rnds FA of cheapo 9mm, the air was still cleaner that it was outside!:eek3:

Outside is the only option for us down here, IMO.

Dave

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dave,
    From what I've been told the EPA is the biggest hurdle in starting a new range. Even JPSO's new range was a hassle to get going. That is a nice facility.
    I like outside on the weekend & inside makes it possible on a weeknight. I think shooting in varying light is good also.
    The air ventilation should be at least worked at to seek improvement. It seems to be a problem that is just accepted as that is the way it is. I know BD would have more business if the vents were better. that is the biggest complaint about the place.
    Later,
    RDO

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Honey Island is woorking to get a 200 yard line. The State of LA has been contacted to get approval to build 200 yard rifle line along side of 100 yard line.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    There really is no reason these days not to have proper ventilation in a range, especially with the money they make! There is a range in Houston I've shot at several times, Top Gun, that has a hospital grade HEPA filtration system on their range. After firing 100 rnds FA of cheapo 9mm, the air was still cleaner that it was outside!:eek3:

Outside is the only option for us down here, IMO.

Dave

Shooters Club got a completely new ventilation system when they re-opened. Jefferson Indoor was under a different owner and such if I recall (and a good while ago too).

If the place is full with everyone shooting, you can smell the powder a little but it gets cleared out quick. Last time some guy had a hand cannon of an old west style pistol which threw out a cloud of smoke with each shot, but it didn't bother me and I'm pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Jefferson gun on David drive is kinda stuffy but shooters on hickery is well ventilated. Hasn't been a problem for me yet.

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Jefferson gun on David drive is kinda stuffy but shooters on hickery is well ventilated. Hasn't been a problem for me yet.

Yeah, I know it has been said, but as a new member, I wanted to say that I agree - the ventilation in Bayou Dragon is AWFUL, but Shooter's Club is a nice range.

Best I ever saw was H&K's underground range in Trussville, Alabama. It used to be the distributor, GSI, before they became H&K's US liaison. One of the employees there was smoking a cigarette while others were shooting, and the smoke was sucked downrange like a vacuum.

Top Bottom