RANGE REPORT: CUTOFF RANGE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I will stop in here and say my experience has been equally positive, both in buying things and also membership of the range. I dont shoot management area ranges due to the safety I expect and what others think is safe are vastly different.
    When I learned Kenny had bought the range, I was so relieved to hear it was going to still be available.
    I always find it safe and managed really well.
    I have been a few times and always find the staff accommodating and available..
    My favorite part is the quiznos down that way , I love me some quiznos and I think it might be the last one in the area..

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I will stop in here and say my experience has been equally positive, both in buying things and also membership of the range. I dont shoot management area ranges due to the safety I expect and what others think is safe are vastly different.
    When I learned Kenny had bought the range, I was so relieved to hear it was going to still be available.
    My favorite part is the quiznos down that way , I love me some quiznos and I think it might be the last one in the area..

Yeah, Quizno’s in Mathews on 308. There aren’t any many left yet.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I wish the general public would take gun safety more serious. When I went to this range (before Kenny bought it) I found safety to be very good. Haven’t gone since Kenny took over but I’m sure it’s only improved.

My son finally took an interest in shooting and we’ve been to a few ranges lately that have me just shaking my head in disbelief lol.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I wish the general public would take gun safety more serious. When I went to this range (before Kenny bought it) I found safety to be very good. Haven’t gone since Kenny took over but I’m sure it’s only improved.

My son finally took an interest in shooting and we’ve been to a few ranges lately that have me just shaking my head in disbelief lol.

We take safety seriously but we take a different approach than most ranges.

The first thing we do is we are polite. If they see you doing something from a distance, my range officers may yell out just to get your attention and have you stop but then they will come up and explain to you what you were doing wrong, why, and what we’d like to see you do differently in a way that is meant to educate, not chastise. Now, if you’re a dick or you do it again, they will ask you to leave.

The second thing we do different than most ranges is use common sense. We want you to have fun, but safely. If there is something you want to do and you aren’t sure of it breaks the rules, just ask. We much prefer it if you ask and we try to find a way to let you do what it is you want to do. Sometimes we can’t, but we try. The main guidelines we use are 1) can this activity be done safely within the confines of the range, with all rounds impacting the berm and neither the shooter nor anyone else being put in danger, and; 2) does this shooter have the requisite skill level to perform this activity safely. For instance, we generally let people draw from the holster. However, if you can’t hit a 15 yard plate and are rocking an Uncle Mike’s universal nylon holster, we’re probably gonna tell you no.

Sometimes we have to make hard and fast rules. Like taking the tower out of play. It’s impossible to RO and we had a very dangerous incident a week after we opened where someone went up there while our RO was downrange and started shooting from the tower on a cold range. The tower has been chained since and will soon be torn down to make way for a rifle range expansion.

We can’t see everything—-we always have a range officer outside on duty and our shop staff is constantly looking at the range cams, but things happen fast. We always tell people to let us know if they see someone being unsafe. I think because we don’t yell and try to embarrass people, it makes it easier for people to report stuff. We just want everyone to be safe and have a good time.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    We take safety seriously but we take a different approach than most ranges.

The first thing we do is we are polite. If they see you doing something from a distance, my range officers may yell out just to get your attention and have you stop but then they will come up and explain to you what you were doing wrong, why, and what we’d like to see you do differently in a way that is meant to educate, not chastise. Now, if you’re a dick or you do it again, they will ask you to leave.

The second thing we do different than most ranges is use common sense. We want you to have fun, but safely. If there is something you want to do and you aren’t sure of it breaks the rules, just ask. We much prefer it if you ask and we try to find a way to let you do what it is you want to do. Sometimes we can’t, but we try. The main guidelines we use are 1) can this activity be done safely within the confines of the range, with all rounds impacting the berm and neither the shooter nor anyone else being put in danger, and; 2) does this shooter have the requisite skill level to perform this activity safely. For instance, we generally let people draw from the holster. However, if you can’t hit a 15 yard plate and are rocking an Uncle Mike’s universal nylon holster, we’re probably gonna tell you no.

Sometimes we have to make hard and fast rules. Like taking the tower out of play. It’s impossible to RO and we had a very dangerous incident a week after we opened where someone went up there while our RO was downrange and started shooting from the tower on a cold range. The tower has been chained since and will soon be torn down to make way for a rifle range expansion.

We can’t see everything—-we always have a range officer outside on duty and our shop staff is constantly looking at the range cams, but things happen fast. We always tell people to let us know if they see someone being unsafe. I think because we don’t yell and try to embarrass people, it makes it easier for people to report stuff. We just want everyone to be safe and have a good time.
    All good stuff. I’m different than most as I don’t shoot for enjoyment or bullseye target shooting or hunting, I shoot strictly to improve my self defense. So most ranges I hit early and I’m done before most people show up, however now that my son is taking an interest in shooting I have to adjust my ways and make it more enjoyable for him along with picking places with top notch safety rules.

I don’t know you as well as many on BS do but I know you enough that I’m 100% positive that safety will always be a top priority for you and that the range will always be improving.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been telling myself I need to make a trip out there, but never make the time... I need to just schedule a day and stick to it.

CyManley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Livingston La.
    I finally went to the Cut Off Range today after talking about it for years. Easy drive from where I am in Houma. It was the best time I ever had at a shooting range.

The staff is very friendly and willing to answer any questions. Felt safe the whole time with the staff and other customers. All of the other shooters were great as well. Everyone had nicer gear than me, which is how I want it to be when I go somewhere. The rifle range is fully covered and has fans. The heat does not keep people away like other ranges. The shooting tables are solid, sturdy and easy to adjust. There are also many tables to lay out your gear you're not using on. The tables are close together to accommodate a lot of shooters, but they also have netted barricades to keep your brass from ejecting on the next person if needed.

On a side note, I rented one of the new Garmin chronographs for only $10. Those things are as advertised. Compact, easy to use, and had no problems picking up my different rounds. Ditch your old school or Labrador to get one.

I shot a 4 different rifles. Lots of targets to practice hunting and torso-sized at different distances. I was able to hit with ease out to 600 dialing and holding with the few that I brought-including 257 Weatherby Mag with a 3-9 deer scope on it. I didn't really have anything to shoot further.

Best 3 hours and $30 price tag I spent in a long time. Will be back again for sure.
    Twinin That 257 is a rare bird. I have a Winchester 70 in a 257 Robert’s Improved Barrel.
    Love the way it shoots.

I’m about 2 hours from Cut Off. I’ll have to come see one day. Sounds like a great range.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I've been telling myself I need to make a trip out there, but never make the time... I need to just schedule a day and stick to it.
    you're definitely missing out on the best range the area has to offer.
    customer service is topnotch, range is super clean, and plinking on steel targets is auditory bliss.

only thing that's missing is the 180 carbine range

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    is there a YouTube video of the facility? I'm planning on making a trip, but I'm wondering how many rifles I should bring. If I could pull my truck right up to the line, I may bring more/all.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    is there a YouTube video of the facility? I'm planning on making a trip, but I'm wondering how many rifles I should bring. If I could pull my truck right up to the line, I may bring more/all.

You can bring as many rifles as you want. We don’t have racks but do have some tables.

You can get your truck pretty close to the range especially if you get there at 9AM when we open. There’s kind of a long driveway that leads to the rifle range that people park on (on the left side of this picture). I have some drone pics and vids but couldn’t find them on my phone so I just screenshot from Google Earth.

There’s concrete everywhere and even if you park further away it isn’t a bad walk.

b2c6563714a1b448fce1dbc55cbf0640.jpg

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    It depends on how many people are there and the parking. If you're first or the only one there, you can park really close.

I would bring a bunch and shoot all day. I bring them out and pack them up one at a time. Even if you can't park close, it's still not far.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    i usually park on the right side of the facility, same side as the pistol stuff and offload that way... last time i went, i brought 4 rifles to sight in and a few PCC sbr to plink around. weekdays are nice, its not as congested.

im off next friday and plan on going...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You can bring as many rifles as you want. We don’t have racks but do have some tables.

You can get your truck pretty close to the range especially if you get there at 9AM when we open. There’s kind of a long driveway that leads to the rifle range that people park on (on the left side of this picture). I have some drone pics and vids but couldn’t find them on my phone so I just screenshot from Google Earth.

There’s concrete everywhere and even if you park further away it isn’t a bad walk.

I have two dozen rifles that could probably use some sighting in. It’s been a while and I know I’ve swapped some optics around. Hence being close to the line would be convenient as I can make use of a day out there.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

Are yall going to be open on Labor Day?

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Anyone know if the silhouette targets (yellow, orange, white at 600, 700, 800) are standard 18x36? What about the 2 white gongs at 800?

There are gongs of several different sizes. Some as big as 18x36. Sometimes Monte hangs a 2” plate at 800 to challenge the really good shooters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom