Range report: new CMMG .22 conv

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Went over to Barney's in Lafayette today to try out the new CMMG conversion for my AR15.
    First i tried the 36 grain Remington Golden Bullets since I use those for my AA G23 conversion. They didn't work well at all. I stopped trying to shoot them after I couldn't even get through the 1st mag; 3 FTE's, 2 stovepipes in 12 shots so quickly aborted firing them.
    Then I switched to the 40 grain Federal 325 pack AutoMatch and they worked perfect. Not a single issue firing 6 mags through it. 6 x 27rds per mag = 162 flawless shots. I was quite honestly amazed. The .22's are def fun to rip a target to pieces with and they make a "PSSHHHHttPAP" sound which is unlike any gun fire sound I have heard before LOL. It's not very loud compared to the .223 but it sounds cool.
    The only thing quirky about this is the bolt will not stay back with the .22 conversion in unless the empty mag is there to hold it back and you can't insert a fully loaded 27 round mag into it with the bolt closed so either back off a few rounds in the mag or manually hold the bolt open while inserting the mag.
    For me it was def worth the $200 :thumbsup:

I got mine at ballisticsounds.com and Kyle from there shipped it bigtime fast and $10 less than Brownell's.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sure give me a few to do it. Doesn't the Spike's use Blackdog mags?
    That's what this uses. I bought 2 black mags and should have bought 4. Time to order more!

Yeah. I have five mags. I want to try to use it during a carbine school to see how it holds up. Trying to find one of those sexy mag loaders like Zack 3G had at Sherburne.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Let me know where you find a loader at. Bullets are so small they pop right out of my fingers trying to get them in that mag.

These pics didn't turn out to good but here goes....

ofvx4w.jpg

2eefmvo.jpg

243j7vb.jpg

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    "I got mine at ballisticsounds.com and Kyle from there shipped it bigtime fast and $10 less than Brownell's."

Even Brownells' good price?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I load the mags by pushing them in rim first (vertically) then tilt them forward. It seems easier that way.

Or you can buy a loader, topgunz1 has one and it works much better than manual loading. If you're going to be doing alot of shooting with it, that's the way to go.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    the blackdogmachine loader is a good piece of gear, its about $110 but it works. In a day of shooting I'll maybe have it jam up 2-3 times (less than the gun lol) but its easy to get going again and way, way better than using your fingers.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Spanky thanks for the tip on putting the bullet in vertical then sliding it in horizontal. Works much better :)

I fired another 104 shots today with no issues at all with the CMMG.
    All 104 shots went through the target below at 30 feet. May not be great grouping but I had a blast.

993n2g.jpg

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Hi to all, new to this forum. I asked a friend about 60 gr SSS rounds and he told me they wouldn't stabilize with a regular 22, twist rate is wrong. My AR is a 1in7, would it stabilize a longer projectile better? Does anyone have any experience with those rounds?
    thanks

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Not to start any bickering...But is there any disadvantages to shooting these through stock AR setup?

I just happened to spot one of these in the Upper's case at Jim's today and wanted to check into buying until I saw it was $270 which was $100 more than I saw elsewhere.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Hi to all, new to this forum. I asked a friend about 60 gr SSS rounds and he told me they wouldn't stabilize with a regular 22, twist rate is wrong. My AR is a 1in7, would it stabilize a longer projectile better? Does anyone have any experience with those rounds?
    thanks

The problem is not the length, but the weight. of the round. A typical .22LR has a twist rate of 1:16. A twist of at least 1:9 is required to stabilize the heavier round. If your AR has a twist of 1:7, then it will be more than adequate to stabilize the round, and prevent key holing.

It is a sub-sonic round, and may not have enough propellant to properly cycle your automatic rifle. The tighter barrel, (a .22LR is typically .224, while an AR is typically .223, or a thousandth of an inch smaller.) may increase pressure enough to cycle the round.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom