Rapid Fire at Ranges?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    Why are you talking about hip firing or a retention shot from 25 yards with a pistol? Bottom line is you practice being slow you will be slow. Finding the balance between accuracy and speed and improving that by decreasing the time it takes you do a thing. Example. Draw from the holster, place 5 shots in an A zone at 20 yards while moving from point A to B. Will make you a better shooter than going to a stagnant range. If their is a problem such as a malfunction, gun empty, you fall on your face whatever pick a thing because things happen, fix the problem continue the exercise.

rdtj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Bossier City
    Why are you talking about hip firing or a retention shot from 25 yards with a pistol? Bottom line is you practice being slow you will be slow. Finding the balance between accuracy and speed and improving that by decreasing the time it takes you do a thing. Example. Draw from the holster, place 5 shots in an A zone at 20 yards while moving from point A to B. Will make you a better shooter than going to a stagnant range. If their is a problem such as a malfunction, gun empty, you fall on your face whatever pick a thing because things happen, fix the problem continue the exercise.
    I agree, practice slow and be slow. Practice being fast and be fast, it’s that simple.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Why are you talking about hip firing or a retention shot from 25 yards with a pistol?

I'm presenting a relatable example to illustrate a point. Sometimes slow is faster and fast is slower.

Bottom line is you practice being slow you will be slow. Finding the balance between accuracy and speed and improving that by decreasing the time it takes you do a thing. Example. Draw from the holster, place 5 shots in an A zone at 20 yards while moving from point A to B. Will make you a better shooter than going to a stagnant range. If their is a problem such as a malfunction, gun empty, you fall on your face whatever pick a thing because things happen, fix the problem continue the exercise.

"Finding the balance between accuracy and speed and improving that by decreasing the time it takes you do a thing." Exactly. You will not find the balance by going as fast as you can. To find the balance, you have to be willing to slow down to the point you can do it smoothly.

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    If you can do that, shooting fast would be faster. If you are unable to do that, shooting slow and smooth would be faster. Hence, slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
    I get what your trying to convey but smooth is in no way is fast. That's like saying wet is fast. What you are saying is that if an individual cannot make effective hits they need to go smoother (slower) to balance out their skillset. You can jerk a pistol from a holster fast and not smooth and place shots on target accurately quickly. It doesn't have to be smooth to be fast and accurate. Slow is slow, fast is fast. That being said if I ever had to take a shot from 25 yards outside the flat range with a pistol you bet your ass I would take all the time I could possibly get to ensure that bullet goes exactly where I want it too.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I get what your trying to convey but smooth is in no way is fast. That's like saying wet is fast. What you are saying is that if an individual cannot make effective hits they need to go smoother (slower) to balance out their skillset. You can jerk a pistol from a holster fast and not smooth and place shots on target accurately quickly. It doesn't have to be smooth to be fast and accurate. Slow is slow, fast is fast. That being said if I ever had to take a shot from 25 yards outside the flat range with a pistol you bet your ass I would take all the time I could possibly get to ensure that bullet goes exactly where I want it too.

You don't get better at something by going flat out every time. You get better by slowing down (slow) and getting the fundamentals down (smooth). That builds familiarity and muscle memory. That's how you get to be fast. And your last sentence is something I would have typed. Certainly you could make faster inaccurate shots. But you would rather slow down and make an accurate shot.

Slow and fast are relative, not absolute. And the phrase "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is applied to more than just shooting. It can be applied to a number of things. It doesn't mean go as slow as you can. It means go as slow as you need to the be smooth. With smooth practice comes speed. Shooting slow and accurate will get you to fast and accurate much faster than shooting fast will get you to fast and accurate.

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    100% their are diminishing returns for going fast as possible. I am under the assumption that people have already put in the time and reps to be proficient with fundamental pistol shooting or pick a platform semi auto rifle, bolt gun, blowback pistol, shotgun whatever their main squeeze currently is because its important. The ultimate goal in my mindset is being able to as fast as possible deliver accurate not good enough shots on a target at pick a distance with the firearm. I also believe it's ridiculous to choose a pistol over a rifle in any capacity for a gunfight. I personally suck at shooting while moving outside 20 yards with pistols, standing still and getting clovers at 25 yards no problem moving, thinking, cover other threats, I suck and need more work.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Justify it however you want. Faster is faster, slower is slower, cant believe i'm even having this conversation.
    Yep. While one side will generally find it pleasing to continue, you’ll find that dropping it and going about your day to be a much better approach. There are a few here that just believe nobody can possibly come close to their abilities or knowledge, a true sign of ignorance. There’s no sense in trying to offer any different opinion or explain yourself. That’s not what they want. They want to feel important. They want to look superior. To do that they have to try to tear you down and insult you. Try to insinuate that you don’t know anything and have no experience. It can get pretty comical at times.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    One can only shoot, accurately, as fast as they can see. If you expect to hit the target with every shot, you must see the sights on the target for every shot. Unless you are really lucky. Lol

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I love Bayou Shooter.

panda eating popcorn.gif

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Local range has "no rapid fire" rules in effect. I asked the RO about it, and how fast was OK, he said aimed fire only. That covers most of my shooting, unless it is from the hip.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've been to ranges that want you to count seconds in between shots and are serious about it. That completely messes up my rhythm and concentration and I won't shoot there unless I have to for some reason. I understand the reasoning why. Most people go to ranges just to shoot a box of ammo for 15 minutes and not to train with hundreds of rounds in an hour. It's like the "lunk alarm" at Planet Fitness. If you are actually training at Planet Fitness they don't want you there. It intimidates their target market and possibly creates a safety hazard when untrained people try to duplicate that they see others doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom