Raven Concealment -- Mini/Temp Rant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    So I picked up an awesome pair of items from them-- Phantom holster and double mag pouch -- from a member here who was offloading his whole kit.

I was very impressed by the whole thing-- fit, finish, concealment, comfort. I really made out like a fat rat in the deal.

About two weeks ago, I noticed the mag pouch had developed a crack. :mad: Still, well informed of their "stellar customer service", I didn't despair and contacted CS.

I guess I've been spoiled by good companies... BCM, that calls and goes through the shipping list before sending out big orders; Geiselle, who shipped me a $245 trigger and hat with no questions asked, along with a pre-paid return envelope for the defective unit that they had no record of me owning (3rd party vendor); Dillon, who shipped me a carbide die much like Geiselle; even Cabela's, who had a large can of One Shot on backorder so long that they immediately agreed to ship me two smaller ones (at a loss to them) when I suggested it.

RCS requires you to place an order and use the Warranty code, then ship them the item (on your dime), and then wait while you go straight to the top of the production queue-- despite the "quick ship" title they've given all of their pouches. Okay, they're popular and anything's better than the infamous 12 week wait on most of their products.

I suggested to the CS rep I spoke with that I'd like to have the older unit back as well, since it was still serviceable and would come in handy. AFAIK, it's not like they're recycling the kydex-- and from the looks of things, they replaced the belt loop attachments anyway, so I doubt those are getting put back into circulation either. That was a no-go as well-- and it REALLY would have been useful this time around.

Why, you ask? Because they either sent me the wrong damn pouches, or their QC/production has taken a massive dump.

I pull the thing out and notice that it's visibly larger than the one I sent in. Taller, fatter, longer. Whatever-- I EDC a full sized pistol, I can deal with some extra size. Then I discover the (likely) culprit-- the magazines have 1/4" clearance on the pouch walls, and quite clearly aren't going to stay put. Baffled, I clamp down on the tension screw until they hold-- and they're VASTLY tighter than before, plus still leave a lot of play in the magazines (I can twist them in either direction about 15-20 degrees).

Immediately I search out the markings to see what item I have.. only to find the detailed scratches that listed who made my old pouches, what they were for, and when they were produced have been replaced by a crude "RCS"... and nothing else. Wonderous.

To top it off, the quality of this thing is a joke compared to my last one-- and all other kydex pouches of similar design that I own. The bends at the front and rear of the item are awkward and inconsistent; the front piece of kydex has a large gap from the rear at the bottom of the pouches, while my older item (and those I have from other companies) are so snug that you can't even tell it's two pieces; the center bend/fold where the tension screw is set is sloppy and uneven.

So it's back to e-mail tag, another trip the post office (on my dime again I assume) and God knows how long until the issue is addressed-- if they don't just send the thing back and say "That's the right one."

I'd cancel the order I placed for two AR-15 pouches on the spot, but having read their lawyer-speak fine print in detail, once it's moved to Production (as mine has), you're SOL-- even if the stupid thing is weeks away from being folded.

If I ain't getting something free out of this debacle, they may have screwed over the wrong loud-mouthed, long-winded, fast-typing gear queer. :mamoru:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    The owner is a member here. He didn't post much, but he has an account. Look for the vanguard 2 thread and PM him. I'm sure he will answer.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Update 1--

The guy I've been dealing with has been extremely helpful, and went above and beyond the call today-- the type of CS I expect, demmit!

He's sending the old (cracked) carrier back, crediting my account for the cost of shipping the new (shoddy) one back, and keeping his eyes peeled for the package. Props to the man-- he's been great with the communication and very helpful in answering my questions.

We'll see what happens-- but at least I've got a back-up/working unit in hand.

Looking at the thing more and more, I'm pretty certain it actually is for the right magazines-- but the assembly was crummy. I'm fairly certain that it will be corrected, as I can't IMAGINE this is the common product if they're still doing so much business...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Good company makes good products. Good company gets popular, output increases, they outgrow themselves and quality declines. It's an all too common trend.

Their stuff cracking seems to be a common issue, I'm surprised they're still using that thin ass kydex.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It's funny this was posted. I JUST (as in yesterday) received an order from psholsters.com (now persec holsters). The quality and comfort of the holster is outstanding. They went a week over the quoted lead time so the owner threw in a free mag pouch. I was blown away when I opened the package.

Their non-light compatible holsters for popular models are quick ship. I feel this company is as good or better than raven, so if you guys are looking for an alternative, check them out.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just go look at what they did with the "ears" on their holsters, for those of us that had the old style and had problems with them we were told BUY a new one since we have changed the style and the old one is no longer available,

I ditched them on the spot and never looked back, they were great when they started.Once Costa and Travis made them famous they went to crap.

Now a days its hard to find a bad kydex holster, many companies are producing top notch products without the 12 week waiting period. The industry has improved MILES and what makes a big difference between one and another is simply the features and not so much the name.

Armordillo, OTG and RDR have been amazing to me and my company, if I need something for OWB (range use) G-Code covers that spot.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I can echo the same sentiments in this thread already: the older of my two RCS holsters was a better made piece. The accessories for the newer one, like the OWB belt loops, are bent at weird angles, and don't even match with the holster eyelets without serious coercing.

Top Bottom