Recoil pad question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gday guys. I just picked up a used Remington 870 wingmaster, and after trying it out yesterday, the only problem we noticed is the recoil pad on the gun is extremely slippery. After 1 shot the gun slips, making follow up shots a lot slower. Is there any way to get more grip out of the factory pad, or would I be better off just buying a new one?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hard to believe rubber would be slippery, but I'm not too familiar with the factory pad. I would guess you could rough it up with some 80ish grit sandpaper, or throw a Limbsaver on there.

Are you pulling it into your shoulder properly while firing?

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Hard to believe rubber would be slippery, but I'm not too familiar with the factory pad. I would guess you could rough it up with some 80ish grit sandpaper, or throw a Limbsaver on there.

Are you pulling it into your shoulder properly while firing?

Yeah I've never had any problem with my other shotgun. Will try roughing it up with some sandpaper and see how that does.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Rubber gets hard with age (and heat). You might try roughing it up, or even cutting small groves accross it with a triangle file. An inexpensive alternative would be to cover it with a slip-on pad, but one disadvantage is that it lengthens the length of pull. Best long term fix is to replace it.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Forget a recoil pad. Have a double barrel 12 circa 1940's and my father would come home bruised all colors on the shoulder after a hunt. I took the gun and took off the pad and limited many times on hunts and never had so much as a mark. They don't seem to do anything but make the reach longer than it should be for the stock. That bruising is IMHO worse than the recoil.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Thanks for all the info guys. Greatly appreciated. Tried a Butler Creek slip on pad but found it gripped too much on our clothes. Going to try roughing the current 1 up with some sandpaper, if that doesn't work then I'll try the limbsaver.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    FWIW, the Remington R3 is just as nice as the Limbsaver...I'ved used both on different guns. Ya pays your money, and makes your choice. Both work great.

Is the R3 still available? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. All I have found is the supercell, and the reviews for that haven't been too good.

Top Bottom