Recommend a Holster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I have the below Ruger P94 and I need a holster. I have never worn a holster before looking for a concealed carry holster. I have absolute zero knowledge about holsters, don't know if they need to go on a belt or just clip on your pants etc... I know I don't want a sholder holster. I also wear sweats and shorts that don't use belts alot.

Sorry for such a newb questions I also have three extra mags I might as well carry I guess right?

Thanks

sellme064.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    You are going to want to start wearing a belt, IMO. A good belt is as much a part of your carry method as your holster. Besides shoulder or ankle carry, if you are trying to wear sweats you are pretty much left with:

Pocket Carry (will need to cinch the string in your sweatpants tight to account for the pistol weight, and sweats are slower to pocket draw from that several other types of pants)

Belly band/Smart Carry: You can do a search on those terms and see various manufacturer's offerings as to straps you can wear under your clothes that contain the pistol. Also, they make concealment T-shirts that have holster type pockets in them. In my opinion, all of these routes are less than ideal.

A paddle holster might work for you. They have a paddle shaped part attached to the holster that sits inside your pants (again, you would need to cinch the string to account for the weight), and a polymer holster that positions the weapon outside your pants. This may work well for you. I personally do not use them because I feel they are not 100% reliable (sometimes your weapon can 'hang up' in the holster as you draw). Others disagree and use them every day. They are not expensive- you may order one (Fobus makes many sizes) and draw a few hundred times from it and form your own opinion.

Personally I use a wilderness tactical instructor belt and a DeSantis Cozy Partner inside-the-waistband leather holster. I have links included in my gear review here: http://americanrevival.org/articles/g36/tacticool.htm

Good luck, and I am happy to add any more info if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You can clip onto a waistband with no belt. The location of the clip vs center of gravity of gun needs to be right. Depending on size & weight of the gun it can be very awkward. It is OK in an environment that you control for a for a short period of time - Not out in public all day. Thats on the cheap side of holsters. A good holster will help - just hard to get a good firsthand review. I have found a belt is better than no belt. Sweats tend to sag from almost any gun weight. I like my .45 but it is a big honking thing to conceal. AMT backup on the other hand is too easy.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    There is a lot to consider in holsters. There is no "right answer." (I am a stong advocate of 3 o'clock carry, but I understand everyone is different).

You are welcome to call me and talk about it, if you like- 877-LA CARRY.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Personally I wouldn't have a problem carrying on sweat pants with something light weight but a Ruger is a heavy weapon. You're going to have a difficult time having it not pull down your sweats.

With that being said, I love the MTAC from Comp-tac. I posted a review here.

The clips provide the ability to attach to a belt but are still sturdy enough to hold onto the elastic of sport shorts or sweat pants.

But, as I stated, imo the Ruger is a heavy gun for not wearing a belt.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    With that pistol, you need a belt IMO. No magic holster or clip is going to keep that gun from dragging sweatpants or shorts down. :rofl:

Asking what kind of holster you should get is like asking what kind of gun you will shoot best. It's a very personal thing. Your body size/shape has a lot to do with it, as well as your normal attire.

For example, I'm a thin guy who wears fairly tight fitting clothes, and doesn't carry all day. For me, an inside-the-waistband holder on the back of my right hip canted to about 3 o'clock conceals best. And I like a clip as opposed to belt loops, so I can remove and replace my pistol several times a day rather quickly. This setup might be horrible for anyone else.

You really need to just try some different setups to see what fits you. Put on your normal attire, and visit some gun shops with your pistol. Try it (or something relatively the same size) in different holster types and see what is comfortable for you and totally concealed. I've never seen a decent carry holster sold on the shelf at a gun shop, but you'll at least have a general idea of what you like (IWB vs. OWB, leather vs. kydex, etc) and you can do some more research from there.

And like LC said, once you find a holster you like, remember the belt is as important (if not more) than the holster.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I use a simple leather holster with a metal clip from High Noon (their lowest base model, not the super fancy ones) for inside waist carry of my G26

My S&W J frame just uses a simple nylon/plastic clip from blackhawk. I might try to find something in leather for it as its not my favorite but its what i could find for the gun at the time. I'd prefer it to go a bit lower in my pants than the blackhawk places it, the gun has alot more potential for concealement than I'm getting out of it right now.

But, thats just me being critical. In almost 2 years of daily carry nobody in the general public has ever had a clue.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    +1 for the MTAC.

If you're looking for a good holster belt for not a lot of money check out http://looperlawenforcement.com/looper-reinforced-holster-belt.html
    I like them because it's very stiff but looks like a normal belt and they don't cost $100. They are sized from the buckle to the last hole. Remember to order a little larger if you are going to carry inside the waist band (IWB)

Pocket carry is also a good choice for a quick run to the store or working around the house. Some people only pocket carry all the time. However, the Ruger would not work for that. IMO The hammerless J-frame is great for that role.

Check out this pictorial of holsters and how many people wear them.http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/reference-how-forum/30128-pictorial-how-you-carry-concealed.html

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd say no to the gun show. I've never had any luck there. For CCW I've got a Don Hume that I really like for my S&W 469 (similar in size and weight to your ruger except for a shorter barrel). Its an inside the waistband in leather that is a kidney carry with the grip pointed outside (toward the hipbone- personal preference due to a former elbow injury. Most people carry opposite I think). I went through several less expensive ones before settling on this one.
    For open carry for my .45 I'm very happy with my Blackhawk Serpa. I also have a Bianchi military holster that I don't think I've ever used. I've got a K&D pocket holster for my P3AT that again I love.

Carrying in jogging pants would be uncomfortable. Keep in mind you're not just carrying a gun. You've got keys, wallet, pocket knife, an extra mag or two, etc... that's a lot of weight. You'd have to pull the strings so tight you'd loose circulation to half your body! You almost have to go to a butt pack, which advertises that you're carrying. I'm not going to get into the fashion issues, but I'd rather just carry a backpack or bookbag.
    That Ruger is going to be hard to carry in jogging pants or shorts. If you don't want to carry a seperate bag then you either need a much smaller gun (which is why I bought my Keltec) or put on some jeans!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was trying to be nice and avoid that description! (For all I know Spanky carries his in an a$$pack. I didn't want to be the first to have a ban stick!)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have no problem with the ruger. Its a good gun (assuming you don't have problems with your guiderod binding). Its a full sized pistol. A full sized pistol and sweats don't go together easily. Stick with the ruger, get yourself a GOOD holster, and put on some jeans or get a fanny pack or backpack.
    By Good holster I mean a quality leather holster (not horsehide!) that is molded to fit your gun only. Its not stamped 'mid sized auto'. It should be a tight, precise fit. Having your gun fall out of its holster in a store when you lean over to pick up something is at the least embarrasing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a cheap one for my buckmark. Its not for self defense though. I use it for matches and as a sidearm while hunting (mainly to keep myself from trying to blow away squirrels with a .303 when I've given up on the morning deer hunt! You ever notice how if you're deer hunting squirrels and rabbits will be everywhere, yet if you go squirrel or rabbit hunting you're sure to scare up a deer?)
    I've got several cheap ones laying around that I wasted money on. I've learned my lessons...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You could run a nylon belt under your sweats and put a good holster on that also...
    The Smartcarry is a good idea, but there is no retention. If you bend over, jog, whatever, you're going to feel like the gun is going to fall out. If it had a thumb break I'd like it better. If it was designed to fit YOUR gun, I'd be happy with it. Right now, its just a pocket for your gun. If you wouldn't feel comfortable doing a set of jumping jacks without worrying about your pistol then it doesn't work.

gman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    About the only thing I carry in sweatpants is a Kahr PM9 in a Mika's Pocket Holster.

Normally, my method of carry is Appendix-Inside the Waistband with a High Noon Hideaway. It works great!

Top Bottom