Recommend me a fire-rated Gun Safe under $500

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    I searched a lot on the forum and elsewhere, but just wanted to hear any recommendations or good reviews for a safe that will hold 3-5 long guns maximum, not break the bank, and has a decent standard fire-rating. There are some in the $300-400 range at academy, maybe Safari? brand, but I'm not sure if they''re any good.
    I realize that when a safe says "12-guns" it really means more like 4-5 most of the time, so that's what I'm in the market for. If it's on the small end, I'm ok with that as long as its fire-rated.
    $500 is my max, but I'd obviously be happier spending 3-400 if it's on sale. You get what you pay for, but I'm more concerned about the fire-rating than I am bad guys prying it open because my other safe doesn't have fire-rating. This one will be used mostly for non-gun items, like papers etc that I don't want to lose in a fire, and I also want to fit the occasional long gun or pistol if need be. I'd also prefer it not weigh too much over 200lbs since I'm not planning on staying in the same house for more than a year currently. But if it's heavier and the price is right, I'll deal with it. It's not getting bolted in at my current house, maybe in the future.
    Thanks for the help.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I searched a lot on the forum and elsewhere, but just wanted to hear any recommendations or good reviews for a safe that will hold 3-5 long guns maximum, not break the bank, and has a decent standard fire-rating. There are some in the $300-400 range at academy, maybe Safari? brand, but I'm not sure if they''re any good.
    I realize that when a safe says "12-guns" it really means more like 4-5 most of the time, so that's what I'm in the market for. If it's on the small end, I'm ok with that as long as its fire-rated.
    $500 is my max, but I'd obviously be happier spending 3-400 if it's on sale. You get what you pay for, but I'm more concerned about the fire-rating than I am bad guys prying it open because my other safe doesn't have fire-rating. This one will be used mostly for non-gun items, like papers etc that I don't want to lose in a fire, and I also want to fit the occasional long gun or pistol if need be. I'd also prefer it not weigh too much over 200lbs since I'm not planning on staying in the same house for more than a year currently. But if it's heavier and the price is right, I'll deal with it. It's not getting bolted in at my current house, maybe in the future.
    Thanks for the help.

Good luck. If you're looking to protect papers and stuff like that, you'd be better served going with a document safe with a good fire rating. By requiring the safe also hold long guns, you're putting yourself at the lower end of a class of safes. You may find one that has a fire rating, holds long guns, and comes within your budget but there's a really good chance the fire rating will be quite low and for a short duration.

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    Thanks for the tip, yeah I know it's on the low end of what a decent safe costs, but that's why I thought I'd ask here if someone happens on a really good value. Just didn't know if the cheap 12 gun or less safes were worth a darn or if anyone had a ton of horror stories from them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Every now and then you can find a Cannon safe under $500, but their budget brand is Safari. Liberty does sell smaller safes, such as the Revere 12 Gun.

Tractor Supply has them for $399 and they can easily hold six AR-15's with optics. Probably even more if you need it to. Some pistol hanger rods or an organizer on the shelf can likely hold 6-12 pistols without issue. 30 Minute fire rating, which is about as standard as it gets.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...2-gun-30-minute-fire-rating-e-lock-rv12-bkt-e

I'm fairly certain the Revere 12 is similar to the Centurion 12, with the exception of the door panels.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    You just missed a smoking Black Friday deal at Tractor Supply - a 36 Gun Cannon Safe for $299. I read about it here on Bayou Shooter and was first in line to get one. Don't see it on their web site any longer, guess it was a closeout. Here's a similar Cannon 36 Gun at Academy.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-safe-force-series-fr593020-36-gun-safe

If I was looking for a similar safe, I'd start calling individual Tractor Supply stores to see if any were still in inventory. Might have some floor samples still in stock. Even when not on sale I think the price was less than $500.

Or you might just get this 12 Gun at TS for $349.99. Fire rated 30 min at 1400 degrees F.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30-1360472?cm_sp=LP-_-TILE-_-Winchester+Gun+Safe+12+Gun

Last edited:
    Top Bottom