Reliable handgun red dot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Was on the edge of ordering a Vortex Venom, until reading a few reviews of it randomly cutting off. Now second guessing my decision.

Hoping someone here can recommend one, I’d like to stay in the $400 range, but rather pay more than have one I can’t trust. Any first hand experience?

Will most likely be going on a p30L

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    C-More STS has done me right. I think they were the first to have one that would survive on a 1911 slide. Trijicon, Leopold, even the later Burris models hold up pretty well.
    Vortex does have that lifetime warranty and awesome customer service and I’ve never been sorry with anything I’ve bought from them.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have two Vortex Venom's that I've run on my carry guns for a couple of years now with no issues. I have 3 Holosun 507c's which are on my competitions guns and one on a carry gun, Delta Point Pro and an original Delta Point on two other comp guns, Trijicon SRO on my TSO, and C-More on my open guns. I have never had any issues with any of my optics except for the original Delta Point which was cause by someone else not loosening the set screws before making an adjustment and Leopold replaced it with the Delta Point Pro. My favorite right now are my 507c's

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If it's going on a P30L that you carry, you will want a Trijicon RMR or Holosun 407C/507C. I'm unaware of anyone making plates for P30's that can utilize the Holosun 508/509 or Aimpoint ACRO.

Most optics are fine if you don't plan on dropping them, but some have internal issues with battery connectors and electronics failing, such as the continuous issues with early Delta Point Pros.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Had a Vortex Razor take a dump after a couple thousand rounds on a 2011, Vortex replaced it no questions asked. Pistol now has a Trijicon CC installed, not enough rounds to make a call on reliability

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have multiple RMR’s. I’ve never had one break but I have had them run out of batteries. I also have the dual lume ones that do not require batteries. Overall I like them.

I’ve broken primary arms micro reflexes, and had a Burris fast fire either get super dim or refuse to turn on. I own a Holosun but have not had the time to get an opinion on it yet

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks for all your commentary. I'm in the hunt for an optic to add to my Ruger 22/45 Mk-V. This helped broaden the knowledge base and contribute to the selection effort.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Many of the good brands are fine for hunting or range guns but you definitely need one of the always on ones for a defensive gun like the Holosuns Or RMR

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I have an old C-More that worked great on a 44mag. I just don’t shoot it much since I got my 454. A few RMRs (on the 454 casull, a 10mm, and on a 45 Colt. I also have a couple of MROs. on ARs. I have never had an issue with any of them. I bought a sig 365xl and was looking at a compact sight. A name that came up which I don’t think anybody has mentioned is Shield sights. A British company that has been around for a long time and I believe sell to British military. Price was a lot better than the compact RMR, but I haven’t bought anything yet. Any first hand experience with these?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve relied heavily on American Defense Manufacturing for mounting needs especially with the MRD’s. They’re good folks and they make great products and seem to keep up to date with all the new optics coming out. I’ve never had any problems getting plates to match my dots and their QD stuff sets the standard.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’ve relied heavily on American Defense Manufacturing for mounting needs especially with the MRD’s. They’re good folks and they make great products and seem to keep up to date with all the new optics coming out. I’ve never had any problems getting plates to match my dots and their QD stuff sets the standard.

ADM makes good stuff, but they don’t offer anything for pistol slide mounted optics.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

Attachments

• FC41598F-744E-4EA2-A184-303DC1B34C9F.jpg
      FC41598F-744E-4EA2-A184-303DC1B34C9F.jpg
      235.6 KB · Views: 114
    Last edited:

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    The C&H precision is a better design due to the way the T-nuts provide way more thread engagement Between the plate and RMR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Par7485
    Top Bottom